Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gasorrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..was wondering how important is step 3 for pain fellowship. I have not taken it yet and my plan is to take it at the end of my CA-2 year. But do u guys think not taking step 3 going to effect my fellowship options. Would appreciate the input. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it during your intern year. If you put it off you will be worrying about that silly thing when you should really be studying for your boards.

Given the competitiveness of fellowships these days, any little thing that makes you less desirable to a program will decrease your chances at getting an interview and getting accepted. If a program has 100 applicants and 99 of them have already taken their step 3 then the first one to get thrown aside is the one not having taken step 3. It's not so much that programs are concerned with your performance on step 3. They just want to know you've taken and passed it so that you can get licensed and wont end up forfeiting your spot in the event you can't pass it. Step 3 is a bs test. Take it in your intern year when step 2 material is fresh on your mind and put it behind you. Like the previous post said you'll want to be able to focus on residency and your in training exams and not on bs med school stuff you'll never use again. God luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.