Step I>6 weeks>Haven't Started Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghorn50

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any second year medical students that are taking Step I sometime in June that have not started studying yet. It seems like everyone that posts in this forum has been studying for several months. For the folks who have not started yet (assuming there are some), what study schedule are you using and what score are you shooting for. Thanks for the help ( and yes I have seen the posts about study schedules)! I also welcome people to comment who have taken Step I in the past that have used a similar time frame to make suggestions and/or post outcomes.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I took Step I last June and I didn't start studying AT ALL until I finished with second year classes (mid-May). I ended up doing pretty well and I only studied for 5 weeks.

I studied 5 weeks, all of which were after the semester ended, the first two of which were not the most productive. 90% of my classmates studied between 4-6 weeks for it, after the semester ended. The other 10% were overachievers (and/or the "know-it-alls") who had either started studying long ago OR just knew their stuff well enough to need less prep time.

I'm taking it in a little over two weeks, and i just started formally studying on Monday of this week. I'll be damned if I'm not having a free June to sit back and relax before I go into the hospital :)

Members don't see this ad :)
4 weeks is plenty, especially if you are finishing your classes now while material is fresh in your head. i took step 1 long after classes were finished and only studied for 4 weeks and got 99 on mine. Granted I put in 8 hours a day. The material for step 1 is a lot more helpful and comprehensiive. Memorize 1st aid and q-bank.

I'm going to start next week. I have not had a chance to study for boards yet..2nd year classes were to busy. I am taking the USMLE on June 10...so that gives me about 4 weeks roughly. Plus, I have to move in that time period though.

Mossjoh

well, I have been looking over some material. but you know what I found, I don't remember what I read a week ago. esp. with classes still going. I think it was a waste of my time. But I do plan to get organized...like make a schedule and collect all the books before I start. my exam is 6/21. going to start on 5/17. hope that is enough time :cool: