1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Step I>6 weeks>Haven't Started Studying

Discussion in 'Step I' started by utlonghorn50, May 4, 2004.

  1. utlonghorn50

    utlonghorn50 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was wondering if there are any second year medical students that are taking Step I sometime in June that have not started studying yet. It seems like everyone that posts in this forum has been studying for several months. For the folks who have not started yet (assuming there are some), what study schedule are you using and what score are you shooting for. Thanks for the help ( and yes I have seen the posts about study schedules)! I also welcome people to comment who have taken Step I in the past that have used a similar time frame to make suggestions and/or post outcomes.
    :luck:
     
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Harrie

    Harrie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2003
    Messages:
    247
    Likes Received:
    1
    I took Step I last June and I didn't start studying AT ALL until I finished with second year classes (mid-May). I ended up doing pretty well and I only studied for 5 weeks.
     
  4. Smurfette

    Smurfette Antagonized by Azrael
    Administrator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2001
    Messages:
    4,240
    Likes Received:
    2,285
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    I studied 5 weeks, all of which were after the semester ended, the first two of which were not the most productive. 90% of my classmates studied between 4-6 weeks for it, after the semester ended. The other 10% were overachievers (and/or the "know-it-alls") who had either started studying long ago OR just knew their stuff well enough to need less prep time.
     
  5. Stinger86

    Stinger86 Intern year? Ha!
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2003
    Messages:
    828
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    I'm taking it in a little over two weeks, and i just started formally studying on Monday of this week. I'll be damned if I'm not having a free June to sit back and relax before I go into the hospital :)
     
  6. musicman1991

    musicman1991 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2004
    Messages:
    233
    Likes Received:
    2
    4 weeks is plenty, especially if you are finishing your classes now while material is fresh in your head. i took step 1 long after classes were finished and only studied for 4 weeks and got 99 on mine. Granted I put in 8 hours a day. The material for step 1 is a lot more helpful and comprehensiive. Memorize 1st aid and q-bank.
     
  7. utlonghorn50

    utlonghorn50 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks for the help. Anybody else want to chime in.
     
  8. Mossjoh

    Mossjoh Mayo Clinic-PGY2
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2001
    Messages:
    529
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm going to start next week. I have not had a chance to study for boards yet..2nd year classes were to busy. I am taking the USMLE on June 10...so that gives me about 4 weeks roughly. Plus, I have to move in that time period though.

    Mossjoh
     
  9. optiplex

    optiplex Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2004
    Messages:
    46
    Likes Received:
    0
    well, I have been looking over some material. but you know what I found, I don't remember what I read a week ago. esp. with classes still going. I think it was a waste of my time. But I do plan to get organized...like make a schedule and collect all the books before I start. my exam is 6/21. going to start on 5/17. hope that is enough time :cool:
     

Share This Page