STEP II CK Prep before shelfs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Champagne_Tap

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I am in a unique position and hence, asking for some unique advice. Please read if you can spare the time:

I'll have almost 6 months of time before starting my rotations in the summer. It's beyond my control, so I want to make use of the time fully. I just took STEP 1 (waiting on results), and want to start prepping for STEP 2 so I don't have a hard time during the year, since the time crunch is real (from what I've read/heard from friends).

I've researched the various approaches people take to prepare for STEP 2, but all of it comes with the assumption that one has passed all rotation shelf exams. So, I ask, is there any inherent handicap I'd be working with if I started learning from UW/STEP 2 review sources BEFORE rotations/shelfs?

Just looking for some honest advice here. Not sure what I want to go into, but definitely sure that I don't want to waste my time relaxing (not to say that I won't be taking time for myself). I will be pursuing other things as well, but this post is in regards to the STEP 2 front, I guess.

Sorry for the long post - if you've taken the time to read it, I would appreciate your 2 cents. Thanks in advance. Some great minds on this forum - lend me your strength!! (DBZ spirit bomb reference for my 90s kids)
latest

Members don't see this ad.

You are in a great position. It is very difficult to study properly once rotations start. Trust me on this: start studying now. Rotations will give you very little knowledge to use on Step 2 CK. It is your outside prep that matters. Uworld, if done in tutor mode, will take a good 3 months to get through. Doing 40 questions a day in tutor mode properly, as in reading the explanation to every single answer choice, is exhausting. Start your prep by doing the Onlinemeded.org lectures. Subscribe to the service so you have access to the notes. You will have a very solid foundation once you complete that, more than the clinical rotations can give you. Then, subscribe to Uworld and do the qbank in tutor mode as described above. Once your rotations start you will be in an envious position. For each shelf, review the uworld questions in that area and do all the mock NBME shelf exams for that subject. If you do this, you will kill CK.

Reactions: 1 users
You are in a great position. It is very difficult to study properly once rotations start. Trust me on this: start studying now. Rotations will give you very little knowledge to use on Step 2 CK. It is your outside prep that matters. Uworld, if done in tutor mode, will take a good 3 months to get through. Doing 40 questions a day in tutor mode properly, as in reading the explanation to every single answer choice, is exhausting. Start your prep by doing the Onlinemeded.org lectures. Subscribe to the service so you have access to the notes. You will have a very solid foundation once you complete that, more than the clinical rotations can give you. Then, subscribe to Uworld and do the qbank in tutor mode as described above. Once your rotations start you will be in an envious position. For each shelf, review the uworld questions in that area and do all the mock NBME shelf exams for that subject. If you do this, you will kill CK.

Thank you so much for the advice! Just to clarify, you'd recommend buying OME? I haven't delved into it yet, but can see that I have access to the videos with my free registration. What additional benefit would the notes give me?

I know that during rotations, there are specific books that students use to prepare for the shelf exams. How do I conquer that information (or is that all included within the breadth of CK prep)?

I really appreciate your insight and encouragement. Hoping to use this time to my benefit and very grateful for any input as I progress.

Yeah the Onlinemed videos are free, but it is so much easier once you have the notes you can follow along and annotate them. Honestly, if you prep like I told you before your rotations start you won't need to buy any of those rotation specific books. Onlinemeded + Uworld will cover every possible question you will see on a shelf exam. Redo Uworld, re-read the onlinemed notes for the rotation in question and you'll be fine for shelves. You could even do another qbank like USMLERx or Kaplan for more questions. Definitely do the NBME subject exams (4 exams x 50q = 200q per rotation). I so wish I could go back to the beginning of my third year and have known this before rotations started.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, thank you for the guidance. Just purchased FA Step 2 CK & MTB Step 2, but will start using OME videos/notes & supplement with UWorld like you are suggesting. I'll keep MTB to the side for now so it doesn't get overwhelming & I don't spread myself too thin.

I would create flashcards with Uworld facts in Anki or any of the online platforms (Cerego, Quizlet, etc). Once you have flashcards organized by organ system, add any relevant fact you find from any other source, like First Aid, in there.

Reactions: 1 user