Step II (for Step I)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rht7w

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've heard that people are starting to use step II books to supplement their studying for step I, mostly due to a recent emphasis on clinical vignette type questions. this year's first aid even makes the suggestion.

has anyone tried this, and does anyone know what step II books might be useful for step I? i'm thinking such a book needs to be 1) a fairly quick read and 2) accessible to a second-year medical student. any suggestions would be much appreciated...........

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I don't think it's the most efficient way to nail the essential info you'll need for Step 1. Step 2 is more clinically focused, whereas Step 1 has a bunch of esoterica that you won't find in the Step 2 prep materials.

My advice for you would be to sign up for the Kaplan QBank and Clinical Vignettes. I used both of these exhaustively and found them to be very representative of the Step 1 clinical vignette questions, both in form and content.

Good luck! -Soo

I agree with everything above. Step 2 books wouldn't have been much use on Step 1 since they don't emphasize basic science. I think they'd be a little more difficult to grasp before clinical experience as well, since they tend to assume you have a basic understanding of things you learned in years 1 and 2.