Step II/III question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goose...Fraba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student who took both comlex I and USMLE I, planning on taking both comlex II/USMLE II.

My question is, if I end up doing a AOA(DO) internship, but a AMA(MD) residency, could I take USMLE step III (during my internship) instead of the comlex III? or supposing I have to take comlex III, can I still take the USMLE III?

hoping someone out there would know, thanks!

Goose

Members don't see this ad.

i would take comlex 3 it also depends on what state that you want to live in.
for example im from GA and they give out the same license for the DO and the MD. but if you want to live in florida or the other states that have seperate osteopathic board, they are gonig to weant that comlex 3 so you can get your license.

for me im also taking step2 usmle but not the CS or step 3. im only taking step 2 ck for residency purposes..

good luck

You can't be licensed as a DO without all three steps of the COMLEX.

When it comes to board certification, if you are doing an MD residency you will take the MD boards. If you go to a dually-accredited program you can sit for both the MD and DO boards.

DOtobe said:
You can't be licensed as a DO without all three steps of the COMLEX.

This advice is absolute drivel and claptrap and is why you should always do your own research if you want the real answer to a question. I took I/II of both boards and elected to only take only the USMLE Step III. COMLEX III is only offered a couple of times a year and only in certain places, an enormous inconvenience for me. I am in the process of obtaining my permanent medical license in the state I am moving to complete my residency. I also plan to practice medicine in this state. If you look at the FSMB site you can see a list of the state medical boards. The majority of states have do not have a separate DO board. The state I am moving only has an MD board and they accept either set of boards, and I suspect the other MD only board states are the same.

As for the OP's ?, that's an interesting situation. Not really sure.