Step II in October. Too late?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by Cowboy DO, Dec 14, 2005.

  1. Cowboy DO

    Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2004
    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    So I wanted to start out fourth year with 2 radiology electives and 1 interventional elective to get some letters and do some audition rotations. This puts me well into October by the time I sit for Step II. Is this too late? I heard that if you did well on Step I, that it wasnt a big deal to take step II early. I did better than average, but a good step II wouldnt hurt.

    I guess the big question is, if i take it in Oct. will the PD's even see it? If not then maybe I should stick to the comlex and pocket the $500 from the usmle since I'm not required to take that.

    -OR-

    I can move it up take it in Aug. and sacrifice a radiology audition rotation/chance at getting a good letter?


    Whats more important in my situation?
    -DO school
    -235/95 Step I
    -minimal research, no pubs
    -no radiology LOR yet.
    -half honors 3rd year
    -Guinness world record holder for longest watermelon seed spit.
    -lazy eye

    A good step II. or LOR/auditions?
     
  2. Vince

    Vince Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    Messages:
    389
    Likes Received:
    1
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]

    That's a good Step 1 score....probably don't even need to take Step 2. You are bold in going for a higher one. I definitely don't think you need to take it earlier....even if you take it in October, the results should be in by 1/2way thru interview season...(this isn't the COMLEX we are talking about...where it takes months and months...this is the USMLE...ha ha). Your Step 2 won't dictate whether or not you'll get an interview...your Step 1 will. If by the time you interview you have your Step 2 to show them, then if its better then it can only help. They definitely will have it by the time it comes down to ranking applicants....but man, with a 235 I don't think it is going to matter much about Step 2.

    You need strong positive LORs. That's your goal. Apply broadly just in case, but I would be surprised if you didn't match. Hopefully one or two of the places you are rotating in rads have residencies where you have a chance at matching.

    I was in a similar situation....and was able to get really really...did i say really...good letters of rec. I took my Step 2 Sept. 4th I think, and programs had it before Nov. 1st I think. My LOR's were the most pivotal aspect of my application though I think. I was able to match to my #1....a program in SoCal. So I'd say work hard and get good letters from your rotations and take step 2 when and if you want.

    Good Luck!

    Vince, D.O.
     
  3. Koil Gugliemi

    Koil Gugliemi Koil Gugliemi
    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2005
    Messages:
    82
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    If I were you I'd take it, but select the option that does not automatically release it. You'll get the results during the interview season. If your result strengthens your app, release it. If you do really well send an email to the PD and coordinator of programs you applied to, want to go to, and haven't heard back from telling them some specific reasons you're interested in their program and mention your step II. It might help you get one or two places. If you don't do better than step I, you don't have to release it and it'll be a no harm no foul situation.
     
  4. Cowboy DO

    Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2004
    Messages:
    549
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks guys. Still unsure which is best, Ill probably just end up taking it in october, and report it if its good.

    When is interview season exactly? November -January?
     

Share This Page