Step II Question

Started by Wardens
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.
 
I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.

IMHO, if you ripped Step I for 250 you don't need Step II. In other words, taking step II is not necessary to enhance your application. Also, if you can do that well on Step I, I wouldn't worry about what Step II has in store for you even with a year of research. In general, I wanted to get them out of the way as soon as possible, but I had a far different situation. I just wanted to get Step II done and I wasn't taking a year off.

I haven't seen anyone ooh and aah over a well done Step II score like they do the first. I think you're fine with your current plan.