Step II Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.

IMHO, if you ripped Step I for 250 you don't need Step II. In other words, taking step II is not necessary to enhance your application. Also, if you can do that well on Step I, I wouldn't worry about what Step II has in store for you even with a year of research. In general, I wanted to get them out of the way as soon as possible, but I had a far different situation. I just wanted to get Step II done and I wasn't taking a year off.

I haven't seen anyone ooh and aah over a well done Step II score like they do the first. I think you're fine with your current plan.

I agree with rsxn.