Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2002
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.

resxn

10+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm taking a year off next year (after third year) to do some neuro-otology research and am a bit confused about Step II. I scored around 250 on step I and was planning on pushing off step II until late in fourth year, but some folks are suggesting I take it immediately before my year off because the info will be fresh. I know there's a chance I may do as well, but there's probably a greater chance I won't score as high (just a guess). Any thoughts on whether taking step 2 before my year off or after applications during fourth year is better? Thanks.

IMHO, if you ripped Step I for 250 you don't need Step II. In other words, taking step II is not necessary to enhance your application. Also, if you can do that well on Step I, I wouldn't worry about what Step II has in store for you even with a year of research. In general, I wanted to get them out of the way as soon as possible, but I had a far different situation. I just wanted to get Step II done and I wasn't taking a year off.

I haven't seen anyone ooh and aah over a well done Step II score like they do the first. I think you're fine with your current plan.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads