STEP II & STEP III AT THE SAME TIME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricardo769

budrudder
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there enough topic overlap to take Step II CK and Step III at the same time (or within a week or two of each other)?

Is this even possible under the NBME guidelines?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to wait to see if you passed Step 2 CK before you could even schedule Step 3. So there would be at least a few months between the two, if you consider 4-6 weeks to receive your score, then the waiting period to receive your scheduling permit.

From the NBME website:
"You must pass Step 1 and Step 2 before you are eligible to take Step 3. In LCME-accredited medical schools, although Step 1 and Step 2 can be taken in any order, most students will take Step 1 at the end of their second year and Step 2 in their fourth year; Step 3 is usually taken during the first or second year of postgraduate training."

I could be wrong, but unless you are a foreign grad needing certification of all 3 steps prior to match eligibility, you usually take step 3 during 1st yr or 2 of residency. You'll need the residency's verification of being in their training program to register for the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
debvz said:
I could be wrong, but unless you are a foreign grad needing certification of all 3 steps prior to match eligibility, you usually take step 3 during 1st yr or 2 of residency. You'll need the residency's verification of being in their training program to register for the exam.

I think there is a thread on this in the Pathology forum that addresses taking step 3 super duper early. See if this helps.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=165023