Step III Advice from bigfrank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfrank

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Take it as EARLY as you can in your internship year. Don't put it off -- to me, it felt exactly like the Step II CK.

2. Prepare for the last half of the second day (the 9 computer cases) by doing the five cases on the CD-ROM that the USMLE sends you. The cases themselves are easy, but the computer format is initially a little confusing.

Overall, the test is very easy.

Members don't see this ad.

We appreciate you thinking of us.
Some even some MDs say take it in or after residency since you actually SEE the cases. But I agree with you, partially because when you dont take it, its like something else hanging over your head!

Agreee with the above advice. If you are in a surgical specialty, you especially want to get this nusiance of a test out of the way as quickly as possible. Most of my colleagues and I took this test in our PGY-1 year (Surgery resident here) and got it over with. I took Step III right after my first ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam).

I found the test straight-forward and I found the CD-ROM that they send you, the single most helpful thing that I used. Being able to take full advantage of the software that is used for the Clinical Cases make my second day go much faster. My other resource was Crush USMLE Step III. I was glad to get this one out of the way so that I could concentrate on my surgical education.

Remember some states will not allow you register for the test until after internship, and some even make you wait to have two years of training. You can schedule it in another state however, and travel to take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can schedule it in another state however, and travel to take it.
Not quite. You definitely have to schedule it in certain states, like California, which do not require any PG training, but you can take it at your friendly neighborhood Prometric Center, wherever that may be.

Not quite. You definitely have to schedule it in certain states, like California, which do not require any PG training, but you can take it at your friendly neighborhood Prometric Center, wherever that may be.

So if you're an IMG, and you write step 3 and pass.... do you never, ever have to write any of the steps ever again?

i.e. it's valid for life??

Oh, I see. So you would have to schedule it in, say Arkansas, but you wouldnt necessarily have to go to ARkansas to take it? I did not know that.

Just have to recertify your specialty boards every so often. Never have to sit for basic licensure exams again, I dont think.

Really?

The reason I am asking all of this is that I am considering staying in Australia for my training.

I have a strong Step 1 score and want to write the rest of my Steps within the timelimit.

However, training in Australia will likely last longer than 7 years... so my steps will expire if I don't do them all in time.

Oh, I see. So you would have to schedule it in, say Arkansas, but you wouldnt necessarily have to go to ARkansas to take it? I did not know that.

Correct.

Below is the critical table that provides each state's attempt limit and other pre-requisites:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_requirementschart.html?

I registered in Cali (which does not require any residency) but took it in NY (which also does not require any PG training but does require an application for licensure). Not only do you have to watch for any PG training, but also see if you need to apply for licensure simultaneously. Again, you can take it anywhere after registering at the state which meets your situation.

It's all in the table which is self-explanatory. Good luck!