Step III and fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do they care what score you got on step III (assuming you passed) when applying for a competitive fellowship? This is in the context of having 99 on step I and step II and also being a USIMG.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in Anesthesiology and most PDs told me that fellowships were very available especially grads from their programs. My friend who interviewed in ObGyn told me he heard similar things. IM subspecialties may be different, since there are many dissatisfied IM grads applying to get increases in pay/respect and to get away from the 'hospitalist' specialty. (I must emphasize these are my personal opinions and in no way do I disrespect internal medicine physicians, and I understand IM can be very satisfying to certain people, and they are very excellent physicians.)

I have been told by a Mayo-trained Nephrologist that "they don't care about scores" at the fellowship level. Questions "Do they know you? Do they like you? Do you have good letters of rec?" etc.

Hope this helps!

Shock said:
Do they care what score you got on step III (assuming you passed) when applying for a competitive fellowship? This is in the context of having 99 on step I and step II and also being a USIMG.

Thanks.

I entirely agree with the above response.... familiarity, letters and proven clinical/ academic record will be scrutinised at the fellowship level. I would say that scores would have little or no bearing....

It may be different for step 3 but I highly doubt there are PDs out there who don't at least glance at board scores.