step III before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert Love

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now, I'm about to graduate med school but won't match until 2009 so I'm deciding if I should take it before then. Trying to weigh the options here are the pros and cons.

Pros: 1) I would get it over before residency 2) My application for residency is mediocre anyways and if I manage to score better on it than the others maybe it will help me a little.

Cons: 1) I didn't score very high on the others and the last thing I want to do is take it and fail it before I apply. 2) I'm concerned not having done residency yet will affect me on the CCS part. Maybe someone who has taken it can tell me about it.

If I pour serious money into study materials for this I want to make sure that I pass it. Then again I will have way more time to study for it now than in residency. Opinions anyone?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

It depends. If you are going to be busy with prelim year, I would probably focus on more important things. If you are just going to be sitting around doing nothing, I would say yes definitely take it.

It looks good if you pass it - that way, the residency program won't have to worry about you failing.

Just remember you can't really take it until July or August.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=488821