USMLE STEP III UWSA 188 - Test in 6 days. Postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EastCoastEMApplicant17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to help with.

I'm a PGY1 EM who has completed 20% of UWorld and not done CCS case preparation yet. I have taken two weeks off to study (no prep beforehand) and ended up getting a flu like febrile illness that kept me a bit bedbound for a few days. I'm on the mend.

I just took the UWSA and got a 188. I clearly have a lot to learn about outpatient management of many pathologies. It should be noted this is not an anomaly for me - I barely passed STEP II.

I was wondering if someone might be able to recommend whether, with just 6 days of studying (all day, vacation) it seems to be a risk to take STEP III at this point, and better to delay (I have a 9-5 rotation starting next week, and am allowed 3 'academic days' this year excused, for which I would take two to take the test if needed). Or if 6 days of all day studying is reasonable to increase score and get through CCS preparation to pass.

Unty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope you didn't take your exam kinda risky since you haven't seemed to prepare for ccs yet and that you barely passed Step 2.

I would postpone and practice ccs as much as possible.

cruCiATE

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got 210 before 4 weeks out, score 224 on real test, did above borderline in ccs portion.