Step3 and neurology fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMGforNeuro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important are step 3 scores for neurology fellowships?
Rank the following criteria in order of importance for neurology fellowships-
1. Step 1 score
2. step 2 score
3. step 3 score
4. performance in neurology residency
5. LOR from residency program director
6. LOR from professor or attending in same subspeciality applied for fellowship.
7. Research experience and Publications
8. Personal statement and transcipts

Members don't see this ad.

OK, for what it's worth, here's my ranking:

1. LOR from residency program director (this will include comments on your "performance in neurology residency," so those two items are more or less inseparable.
2. LOR from professor or attending in same subspeciality applied for fellowship.
3. Personal statement and transcipts
4. Research experience and Publications
5. Step 3
6. Step 2
7. Step 1
NOTE: I would lump Step 1-3 of the boards into the category of "having a valid medical license." I really doubt that once you are licensed (which usually occurs by PGY2) anyone cares about specific scores on board steps.

#3 and #4 could be flip-flopped based on whether you are applying to a research oriented institution or a more clinically based one.

Also, a big item not on your list but quite possibly more important than any of the others is: personality. Remember, you have to interview for a fellowship program, and if they decide you're just a jerk, all the other stuff won't make a darn bit of difference.