Steps to become a orthopod specializing in back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just wondering what are the steps and years in takes to become an orthopedic surgeon specializing in surgeries of the spine?

I assume it would be like this... What else am I missing?
1) Graduate Med School
2) Internship & Residency - how many years?
3) Fellowship in General Surgery - how many years?
4) Sub specialty training in Back sugeries - how many years?

Is that progression correct? And is sub-speciatly training the same thing as a fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

slightly off so here's some help

1) med school
2) internship + residency (if DO) just residency otherwise (MDs are called PGY-1 and DOs are called interns first year of training) - either way 5 years total
3) fellowship in spine (1 year I think)

you don't do a residency in ortho and then go and do general surg. they're different animals.

1) Med School - 4 yrs.
2) Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery - 5 yrs. (add a year or two if you do research)
3) Fellowship training in spine surgery - 1 or 2 yrs. Most are 1.

Internship is the first year of residency. Most orthopaedic residencies include doing your first year (internship) at the same hospital and most include doing a lot of general surgery rotations that first year.

Neurosurgeons also operate on the spine.

I have no idea how someone would know that they wanted to do spine surgery before gaining more experience in orthopaedics in general. Spine surgery and the patients treated may not what you are thinking it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
"I have no idea how someone would know that they wanted to do spine surgery before gaining more experience in orthopaedics in general. Spine surgery and the patients treated may not what you are thinking it is..."

I am a sophomore in college and I already know that I want to go into orthopaedics and focus on spine surgery. In fact I stopped playing D1 baseball so I can go into this field. In high school I fractured a vertebrae playing baseball so I have gone through the entire spine surgery process and loved it. I have a little experience because of that and I job shadowed my surgeon during a clinical day and then watched two spine surgeries. But I understand why in most cases you would be skeptic of someone knowing what they want to do without any experience to the field

I am a physiatry resident at TJUH (Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, we are consulted on almost all spine cases. There is extensive spine surgery here from orthopaedics with Alexander Vaccaro and Todd Albert as well as Neurosx with Jim Harrop.

Both the ortho interns, residents and fellows get extensive training in spine.

BlondeCookie said:
Hi. Just wondering what are the steps and years in takes to become an orthopedic surgeon specializing in surgeries of the spine?

I assume it would be like this... What else am I missing?
1) Graduate Med School
2) Internship & Residency - how many years?
3) Fellowship in General Surgery - how many years?
4) Sub specialty training in Back sugeries - how many years?

Is that progression correct? And is sub-speciatly training the same thing as a fellowship?