Steps to becoming a Paramedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Procrastinator8

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys.

New user here, and I just had a question. I am finishing up high school, and wanted to (right after i finish school) get my EMT certification (i think thats what its called). I plan to work as a paramedic throughout college as I plan to someday become a physician.

BUT as for the time being what are the necesarry steps I should take to becoming a paramedic, what is the job like, the pay, etc.? I am in love with ER, and figured it to be my best bet.

Any insight would be appreciated.
 
First of all welcome.

Secondly..........I would recommend going to college first. NOT doing your EMT immediately. At least go and get an associates degree in something. YOu will realize as you get into the real world that nothing will replace an education (ie. college degree of some sort).

Becoming a paramedic is NOT a prerequisite to becoming a doctor.

I think you should call your local fire department/ambulance service and do some ride-alongs and see if you even like it before you jump into EMT class right out of highschool.

Basing these decisions on the show ER is not a good thing.

Go do some ride-alongs and then go enroll in a community college and start hammering out some college coursework.

good luck,

later
 
First off you need to become a EMT-Basic before you can become a Paramedic. You should be able to get your basic cert, in the summer time before you start college. As for Paramedic I wouldn't reccomend it right away, especially if your ultimate goal is to become a Physician. Work as a basic, and see if you enjoy it. As for paramedic school, it is much more time consuming and difficult than basic school, and you probably won't be able to do college and medic school at the same time. So get your basic cert, and work for a private ems service, or as an ER Tech part time while you are earning a degree, but since you want to be a doc, I would focus more on doing well in college. Good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
12R34Y said:
First of all welcome.

Secondly..........I would recommend going to college first. NOT doing your EMT immediately. At least go and get an associates degree in something. YOu will realize as you get into the real world that nothing will replace an education (ie. college degree of some sort).

Becoming a paramedic is NOT a prerequisite to becoming a doctor.

I think you should call your local fire department/ambulance service and do some ride-alongs and see if you even like it before you jump into EMT class right out of highschool.

Basing these decisions on the show ER is not a good thing.

Go do some ride-alongs and then go enroll in a community college and start hammering out some college coursework.

good luck,

later

This is sage advice here.
 
I got my EMT the summer after high school and then started looking into becoming a firefighter. Didn't get hired the first go around so went to Paramedic school...then realized I enjoyed the medicine more than the firefighting.

I went on to become a physician, graduating May 2005. I am extremely proud of my time volunteering, etc. and being a paramedic and that experience got me to where I am today, but if I knew I wanted to be a doctor, I don't know if I would go all the way to getting my paramedic certification these days. I believe it takes a bit longer than when I went through in 1995.

In the end, my paramedic experience has helped a bit during med school rotations and some during internship but I'll be starting radiology residency in July and likely won't be as helpful.

I don't see any problem with getting your EMT at least though and working some on the ambulance during college, but focus on your goals, and if you goal is to become a doctor, you need to have great college grades and do well on the MCAT. Everything else is bonus.

Good Luck.
 
I got my emt-basic in high school and worked as an er tech allthe way through college around 24 hrs/week then started paramedic school the week after getting my b.s.
did that for a few yrs on a 911 service before going to pa school.
currently work em as a pa and am very glad to have had the experience of working as an emt/emt-p(good money in college too!)
 
Thanks for the replies, guys, I really appreciate it.

Just one more question though, if you don't mind me asking. What kind of hours would I be working (assuming I just get my EMT license)? Is there flexibility in the hours in dealing with school? I couldn't find much about it online..

Thanks again.
 
It does vary on the company you work for, but usually you can pretty much pick whatever hours you like. EMS runs 24/7 so if you cant find a shift that you can fit in, you probably shouldnt be working anyways. When I was in college I worked 2 overnight 12 hour shifts per week, which was plllennnnnty of money for anything I wanted to do and the shifts were pretty easy so I could actually get some studying done sometimes too.
 
Procrastinator8 said:
Thanks for the replies, guys, I really appreciate it.

Just one more question though, if you don't mind me asking. What kind of hours would I be working (assuming I just get my EMT license)? Is there flexibility in the hours in dealing with school? I couldn't find much about it online..

Thanks again.

Again.....how do you know you even like what an emt does? you've never done a ridealong and from what i can tell you "are in love with ER."

this could be a problem for you.

Please do some ride time with an ambulance before going down this life path.

later
 
Again.....how do you know you even like what an emt does? you've never done a ridealong and from what i can tell you "are in love with ER."

I am currently taking a Health Technology course (through the school, 3 hours a day 5 days a week) at the Hospital in which we rotate through the different specialties of the hospital (ED, ICU, Peds, etc). I'm just saying that the ED has been simply amazing in terms of my interest level, and that an EMT has the closest attainable correlation to what an EP does.

I wasn't talkin outta my a$$, please don't get the wrong impression. 😉

Thanks 12R34Y and fiznat!