PhD/PsyD Steps toward registering for EPPP and getting licensed in NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ed_c

Reaction score
Hello! I am hoping to get some advice on the steps I need to take to register for EPPP and become licensed in NY. I already completed my pre-doctoral internship and am currently on post-doc. I'd like to take EPPP by April/May but am not sure what to expect after having filled out the online application (form 1) and mailed form 4 (report of professional experience). Any insights would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Once your university submits what is required and pre-doctoral advisor signs off on your forms, expect 4-6-weeks before you receive word that you may register for the EPPP. Once you pass it, wait another 6-8-weeks (after your postdoc advisor submits your final form). It does not take that long for everyone, but in my experience (each time, there was some small error requiring follow-up with NYS licensing office to clear up, which always added another 2-3 weeks to my timeline). If you don't receive what you need after 4-weeks, call them. They don't mind. Also, I found my license here: NYS Professions - Online Verifications ...well-before I received it in the mail (so stalk this website with joy). Good luck. :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
Once your university submits what is required and pre-doctoral advisor signs off on your forms, expect 4-6-weeks before you receive word that you may register for the EPPP. Once you pass it, wait another 6-8-weeks (after your postdoc advisor submits your final form). It does not take that long for everyone, but in my experience (each time, there was some small error requiring follow-up with NYS licensing office to clear up, which always added another 2-3 weeks to my timeline). If you don't receive what you need after 4-weeks, call them. They don't mind. Also, I found my license here: NYS Professions - Online Verifications ...well-before I received it in the mail (so stalk this website with joy). Good luck. :luck:
Thank you so much!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am also hoping to get licensed in New York, but I am having difficulty figuring out the timing of everything. I have not started studying (or even purchased my study materials) or sent in any paperwork to begin the process of registering. The study package that I am hoping to purchase includes online exams and quizzes that I can access for 90 days. Ideally, I would like to take the EPPP in May/June and begin studying now.

My questions are as follows:

1. Should I submit my paperwork now to start the process with the state? Once approved to take the EPPP, is there a certain time limit that I will have to schedule my exam? (For example, you MUST take the exam within two months following approval or something along those lines).

Also, various websites are having sales NOW for EPPP study materials, so I would like to make the purchase. However, I don't want to end up in a position where I study hard for three months, but then can't take the actual exam until several months down the road due to delays/issues processing my application. Any insights would be helpful!