Steps towards becoming a cardiosurgeon

Started by SOMforme
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SOMforme

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!
I'm starting medical school in a few weeks 🙂 I was thinking about what I'm interested in and cardiology/cardio-thoracic surgery seemed pretty interesting. Can someone help me figure out what I should do to explore these fields to see if they are a right match for me (apart from attending a few surgeries). Also, what are the usual steps that are taken to become a cardio surgeon -- residency, etc.
Thanks!
C.S.
 
Your posting on the wrong forum. Cardiology is an Internal Medicine specialty, and has little in common with cardio-thoracic surgery. Interventional Cardiology has procedures, but again is not surgery or anything like surgery.
 
Listen. Don't get overly concerned about your preferences at this time. As you get increasing exposure to the actual clinical practice of medicine, you'll change your mind at least 3 times. Just do your best along the way so your grades, scores, and letters of recommendation can allow you the freedom to choose the specialty if it happens to be competitive.