Stereocenter question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globy321

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question attached in pdf file asks to find the the molecule with S stereocenter. I don't understand why the answer is B.
To my understanding, deutrium (D) has the same atomic number as hydrogen (1) and therefore doesn't have a chiral center so the S and R stereochemistry cannot be determined for this molecule. Why is the answer B?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• stereocenter question.pdf
    76.1 KB · Views: 78
You're looking for atomic mass which includes neutrons. That makes it possible for one isotope to take precedence over another when assessing chirlaity in a carbon atom. H = 1 AMU, D = 2 AMU. Since deuterium is heavier, it takes priority over the hydrogen bonds.

You're looking for atomic mass which includes neutrons. That makes it possible for one isotope to take precedence over another when assessing chirlaity in a carbon atom. H = 1 AMU, D = 2 AMU. Since deuterium is heavier, it takes priority over the hydrogen bonds.

I thought you assign priority based on atomic number when determining whether a chiral center is a S or R stereocenter.
Do you assign priority based on atomic mass also when determining E or Z configuration?

I thought you assign priority based on atomic number when determining whether a chiral center is a S or R stereocenter.
Do you assign priority based on atomic mass also when determining E or Z configuration?

Yep. Isotopes don't come up very often in O-chem which is what this question kind of sneaky but you're looking for atomic mass, not atomic number.