stereoisomers carbohydrates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

echoyjeff222

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't learn carbs in school, so I'm trying to figure out why the answer is B and not C. I thought it was just 2^4, but we don't count eight of the 16 because L-forms aren't stereoisomers of D forms? ??

upload_2014-9-14_14-34-23.png
 
@echoyjeff222 Tricky question.. D-aldohexose signifies that the bottom hydroxyl group is on the right. If there are 16 forms of aldohexose with its 4 chiral carbons, since D-aldohexose has to have the bottom chiral carbon oriented right, that would exclude the possibility of this being rearranged leaving only 3 chiral carbon variations 2^3.

Essentially, the question is asking about D-aldohexose sterioisomers and not just aldohexose isomers. If the bottom chiral carbon was changed it would be longer a form of D-alsohexose.
 

Similar threads

D
  • Question Question
Replies
2
Views
1K
deleted647690
D