1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

"Stereotype"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by standup man, Nov 29, 2005.

1. standup man

standup man Member
    5+ Year Member

I was at an interview yesterday and we were talking about how I came here from a different country etc. etc. Then the interviewer asked me what was teh biggest challenge I faced when coming here? I replied that "it was the cultural change. When I came here there was a certain stereotype that I had in mind but as I got to know more people here I found that it was not true and that we were really similar."

My question is I used the word stereotype, I don't know if this is gonna be the cause of a big :thumbdown: :thumbdown: What do you guys think???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gogo110182

gogo110182 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

no worry..... as long as you explained well, you're good to go........ most interviewers don't care what you say, but how...

4. letmein!please?

letmein!please? Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It's important to be honest, and that's what you did. I think its a fine answer. It shows you have an open mind, you've had experience adjusting to new places, and you like us Yanks. :D

What country are you from?

5. standup man

standup man Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm an Indian but grew up in Saudi Arabia, and then came here during Sophomore year of High school. I'm just worried because I just feel that the word "stereotype" was bad and as we were talking about how doctors would address alternative medicine, he said "well there are certain...for lack of a better word as you said stereotypes concerning alternative medicine etc. etc." :scared: :scared: That's why I feel that the word was not a good one but I really hope he doesn't write me down as someone who stereotypes people cuz I'm not

6. standup man

standup man Member
    5+ Year Member

7. LusuR

LusuR Im gud at docter
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Smell that?? Mmmmm...the smell of freshly split hairs :rolleyes:

You're sweating the small stuff, dude. If that's your primary concern coming out of an interview, you're in really good shape. :thumbup:

8. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

Worrying about it now isnt going to a bit of good... I would let it go and move on.

9. Hey, I think you've got it all backwards. It seems like your explanation of the culture change and even the use of the word "stereotype" worked really well. From what you said I got the following:

you say: "i had stereotypes coming to this country... blah blah blah... but learned they weren't accurate"

interviewer says: "there are stereotypes in alternate med. these days... blah blah blah"

So, it seems that you are one of the unique few who has been able to confront the cultural/stereotypes issues. We all have our own stereotypes, you have just been lucky enough to be able to realize them and adress them already. So, it seems to be a good thing if the interviewer relates your cultural issues to medicine.