Steroid hormone vs peptide hormone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nt4reall

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's steroid hormone , and what's peptide hormone ? What do we need to know about these hormones for DAT?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A major difference between peptide and steroid hormones is the fact that peptide hormones will bind to receptors on the cells they are effecting, and induce a cascading effect. Steroid hormones on the other hand, will travel to the nucleus and have major effects. Insulin is an example of a peptide hormone, and a typical steroid hormone is testosterone. Hope that helps.:thumbup:

A major difference between peptide and steroid hormones is the fact that peptide hormones will bind to receptors on the cells they are effecting, and induce a cascading effect. Steroid hormones on the other hand, will travel to the nucleus and have major effects. Insulin is an example of a peptide hormone, and a typical steroid hormone is testosterone. Hope that helps.:thumbup:

Thanks , it helps :laugh:

DR HOYA - is the reason that steroids are able to travel directly to the nucleus because they are lipid-soluble and are able to pass through the lipid bilayer membrane of the cell?

Members don't see this ad :)
DR HOYA - is the reason that steroids are able to travel directly to the nucleus because they are lipid-soluble and are able to pass through the lipid bilayer membrane of the cell?

I know this question was for Hoya, but yes, steroid hormones are lipid soluble and is the rest they can interact with the nucleus

I know this question was for Hoya, but yes, steroid hormones are lipid soluble and is the rest they can interact with the nucleus

Right on! Also, ones such as the Glucocorticoids act antagonistcally in regards to insulin.

Hey Guys, steroid hormone does cross the lipid bilayaer because it is hydrophobic, however it also binds to the receptor inside the cytoplasm. This steroid hormone-receptor interaction is what gets steroid into the nucleus and allows it to bind to DNA to initiate transcription. Peptide hormone, like insulin, has charges on it so therefore cannot cross the lipid bilayer by itself and therefore needs to bind to the receptor on the cell membrane and initiate a signaling cascade using GPCRs and cAMP. As thge matter of fact if a molecule has a charge it cannot cross a lipid bilayer by itself.
Hope this helps.

Steroid hormones freely enter their target cells after combining with an intracellular receptor, they exert a direct influence on the transcription of mRNA. They do directly influence the transcription by binding to the DNA of their taget cells and promoting transcription of specific genes.

Peptide hormones combine with receptor molecules on the surface of their target cells' membrane. These hormones do not influence the transcription of mRNA directly and in other words, peptide hormones do not enter the nucleus of their target cells and activate transcription.

steroid hormones are lipids and therefore can diffuse through plasma membrane

the steroid hormone either binds onto a receptor in the cytoplasm or on the nucleus and forms a complex. this complex then goes on and induces increase level of transcription activity.

Peptide hormones are lipophobic (hydrophilic), usually charged and therefore cannot cross the plasma membrane

Due to this property, they're receptors are usually found on plasma membrane

The main thing to get out of peptide hormones is that small amounts of hormone can influence a huge change due to cascade phosphorylation. If you want more information about this mechanism, google G-protein coupled receptor (GPCR) < this is one of the more common peptide hormone mechanism but is not the only type

'Flat peg' accronym.
Fsh, lh, adh, and tsh I think are steroids.
Ph and gh are peptides i think someone correct me if im wrong.

'Flat peg' accronym.
Fsh, lh, adh, and tsh I think are steroids.
Ph and gh are peptides i think someone correct me if im wrong.

Sorry for bringing back an old thread but I had to correct this.
the pituitary gland does not release any steroid hormones. It's all peptide based.