Stethoscope recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBG23

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I lost my trusty littmann cardiology iii a few months ago and am in the market for a new stethoscope. Turns out the III has been discontinued and replaced by the IV. I was all set to pick up a IV, but read the reviews for this and there appears to be a flaw in the design that makes the diaphragms prone to falling off. This makes me leary of picking it up. I also had a II SE in the past but it seems to have been replaced by the classic III. I am NOT looking for something a cardiologist needs. Just need something to identify basic murmurs, clearly hear breath sounds, and listen to bowel sounds. Any recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This gets asked on here every so often (there was a discussion in the last year or so) and every time it does, I say "Welch-Allyn Harvey DLX or GTFO". I'm saying it again.

Reactions: 2 users
This gets asked on here every so often (there was a discussion in the last year or so) and every time it does, I say "Welch-Allyn Harvey DLX or GTFO". I'm saying it again.

Thanks for the reply- it seems pretty pricey compared to some other models. What do you like about this one?

Also, if it makes a difference, just realized I left an important word out of my original post - NOT looking for something a cardiologist needs

Members don't see this ad :)
since I have lost/had stollen 3 of these already in my short career Id buy the $75 Littman whatever

Reactions: 1 user
Word to the wise - if you have have a demented pt with behavioral issues (ie someone who likes to bite) then use the isolation stethoscopes as they’re typically longer and you can maintain your distance

The 20 buck ones off Amazon are fine for 95% of cases.

I feel bad for the non DLX peasants

Reactions: 1 users
So, I lost my trusty littmann cardiology iii a few months ago and am in the market for a new stethoscope. Turns out the III has been discontinued and replaced by the IV. I was all set to pick up a IV, but read the reviews for this and there appears to be a flaw in the design that makes the diaphragms prone to falling off. This makes me leary of picking it up. I also had a II SE in the past but it seems to have been replaced by the classic III. I am NOT looking for something a cardiologist needs. Just need something to identify basic murmurs, clearly hear breath sounds, and listen to bowel sounds. Any recommendations?

Whatever the med student/nurse/janitor is using?

The Electronic Littman stethoscope is useful for listening to murmurs and describing a phonocardiograph... you know... bar tricks.

Unclear if stethoscope is even that useful even in outpatient pulmonary clinic when lung U/S is a thing in outpatient offices.
Wheezing for obstructive airways disease perhaps..

Bowel sounds? peristalsis? Succussion splash? Bilateral BS for the ETT placement?

The isolation yellow stethoscope suffices.

i literally coasted w/ one of the ****ty blue ones found in every room and it worked fine lol

I am a little picky when it comes to stethoscopes.
I have a cardiology IV now, had a cardiology III before it walked away, have a DLX, have a master cardiology, used the 3100 electronic for a while. I am a cardiologist. You know what a cardiologist needs? An echo machine.

I have basically created the same post about 1000 times on SDN at this point but the long and short is:
- Littmann Cardiology III/IV has a better diaphragm than the Welch Allyn products (tycos/DLX).
- The DLX has a far superior bell.
- Most of the schmucks don't know what the bell is for and sure as sh8t can't hear a gallop to save their life anyway.
- I say go with the cardiology IV and call it a day. It says, "I care enough to listen to the organs but am not a pretentious douche enough to spend three or four hundred bucks on a stethoscope."

IMHO, the master cardiology isn't a very good scope. I used one for a while and then stopped b/c I just didn't find it's bell/low pitched very good or it's diaphragm. On skinny COPDers/End Stage HF patients you can't get addequate purchase to hear much.

Reactions: 1 users
If the auscultation portion of physical exam were a lab test we'd never order it.

I've often found it amusing stethoscope selection is usually based on what you (hope) you can hear over the heart. But I think that heartbsounds are low yield because they lack much specificity with your ears.

I like the DLX because I can just hear everything else louder and better. You can't beat the lung sounds from the DLX.

Last edited:
I use a CXR and a 2D-echo.