Stethoscopes for Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dogwhisperer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I don't mean repeat an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a stethoscope for vet students? The most recent thread I found was 2015 so I was wondering if anyone had any updated advice for a make and model they loved for school. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a Littmann Cardiology IV, I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but it's a really popular model. However, some people recommend going with something cheaper like the Littmann Classic for during vet school in case your stethoscope gets lost or stolen on clinics, and then you can upgrade to something nicer once you figure out what you like.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was a vet tech I always used the Littmann Lightweight II and loved it. The heavier stethoscopes hurt my ears. It was also pretty affordable compared to other models. Granted, in vet school you’ll be using it for more than I was as just a tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
We were told by the cardiology professors that we didn’t need a cardiology stethoscope and something like a Littman classic was a better choice. Some people still chose to spend more money for the better stethoscope though

I used a Littman Classic all through school and my internship. It was great and got the job done. I have posted my opinions in older threads, but it isn't so the stethoscope that helps you hear things (when we're talking about decent medical quality stethoscopes and not a $5 job from Walmart), it's your experience and listening to tons of dogs. Yes, the 'nicer' ones have some advantages, but you likely won't appreciate that at the beginning anyway when you have no idea what's going on, and like others said, they get lost and/or stolen on clinics sometimes. I don't think those slightly better features are worth the increased price. Plus, as a student, you don't know what you like in a stethoscope. Short tubing or long? Do you really like that pediatric bell? Which style bell do you like? I personally hate the heads on the Littmann cardiology models for the most part. They work, but I strongly prefer the Littman Classic I learned on. When I was on cardiology rotation, the cardiologist had a drawer of seven or eight different stethoscopes he told us to try out, most of which weren't even Littmans. After playing with those other stethoscopes, I would have upgraded to a Welch Allyn Harvey Elite if I had planned to stay in clinical practice. But I wouldn't have known that as an incoming first year, and I certainly couldn't have picked up on the subtle sound differences between the two models.

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up buying the Littmann Cardiology IV in one of the slightly more expensive finishes. It wasn't about thinking I needed a fancier stethoscope and if you're just buying one because you need it then yeah, probably go with a cheaper one. For me though, I viewed my stethoscope as a gift to myself and it was the one thing that I was excited about buying so to be perfectly honest... I wanted a pretty one and that's what I got.

Reactions: 7 users
OVC gave all incoming first years a Littmann Classic II SE, which is one of the cheaper models you can get (~$60-75). It served its purpose for most of vet school until I accidentally slammed a car door on it while out on a farm call. I've had a Litmann Cardiology III since then, which I really like. I personally wouldn't spend $100+ on a vet school stethoscope in case it gets stolen/lost/broken.

I got the Littmann Cardio IV as well, understanding the risk of it breaking/ being stolen in school. I did a lot of research about the best half Deaf friendly stethoscope, and that’s what they recommended. I love it a lot. I got a cute tag from Etsy to ID my stethoscope that has my name and phone number on it, so that helps!

When I moved after graduation, I was packing up my house and found a stethoscope that was neither mine nor my roommates. :eek: I still don't know who's it was or where it came from, but it didn't have a tag on it, no one had emailed that theirs was lost, and I asked around but no one claimed it. So I kept it and ultimately gave it to a pre-vet employee at my internship when she got her acceptance letter.

Reactions: 3 users
When I moved after graduation, I was packing up my house and found a stethoscope that was neither mine nor my roommates. :eek: I still don't know who's it was or where it came from, but it didn't have a tag on it, no one had emailed that theirs was lost, and I asked around but no one claimed it. So I kept it and ultimately gave it to a pre-vet employee at my internship when she got her acceptance letter.
STETHOSCOPE THIEF

Reactions: 4 users
STETHOSCOPE THIEF
YOU CAN'T PROVE IT THOUGH BECAUSE I GAVE AWAY THE EVIDENCE.

For real though, I have no idea if I did accidentally borrow it and take it home after a shift or if someone left it at my house one day.

• Haha
My hot pink Littman classic II SE has served me well through vet school and nearly three years out in the real world. Two years ago I got a cardio III for Christmas...I have yet to use it :laugh: Mostly because I’m just comfortable with what I’ve got and if it ain’t broke...

Members don't see this ad :)

For real though, I have no idea if I did accidentally borrow it and take it home after a shift or if someone left it at my house one day.
We can pretend someone left it at your house instead of you stealing it. You’re the one everyone is warned about on clinics

Reactions: 5 users
Oh, I get a nice watch from my mom every couple of years, I forgot that. Just make sure it can count seconds.

During my internship I always grabbed one pen and one highlighter from the bins. Then I’d lose them and try to borrow from the techs because everyone also grabbed one and none were left in the cups. By December no one would lend me ‘their’ highlighter because they said I kept them every time. I denied that one day, went to my desk, and found like seven highlighters I’d stolen. Even now, I walk into the lab to ask a Tech something and tend to unconsciously pick up whatever pen is around. I am getting better about leaving them there but they’ll chase me down now if they notice a pen is gone since we don’t have many extras.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

First you’re stealing pens and highlighters, and now you’re stealing stethoscopes?? WHERE DOES IT END?11!!!???

Reactions: 7 users
I've got a littmann cardio IV, but it was a gift from my parents before I started school and they wanted to get me something nice. Green. It's got my name engraved on it, too. I like it because it's got some heft and... I don't know why, but I like that in stethoscopes :p.

It's really hard to go wrong on stethoscopes. Follow whatever your school baseline recommends for you (unless they're telling you to get those 22" long stethoscopes - they're way too short and I don't know why some schools recommend such a non-standard size when the normal 27" work fine. Something something attenuation of sounds...). Their recommendations essentially boil down to "it's a stethoscope, it's not too fancy, and it probably works" for just about everywhere. You could probably get away with a Fisher-Price if you're daring enough.

I've got a littmann cardio IV, but it was a gift from my parents before I started school and they wanted to get me something nice. Green. It's got my name engraved on it, too. I like it because it's got some heft and... I don't know why, but I like that in stethoscopes :p.

It's really hard to go wrong on stethoscopes. Follow whatever your school baseline recommends for you (unless they're telling you to get those 22" long stethoscopes - they're way too short and I don't know why some schools recommend such a non-standard size when the normal 27" work fine. Something something attenuation of sounds...). Their recommendations essentially boil down to "it's a stethoscope, it's not too fancy, and it probably works" for just about everywhere. You could probably get away with a Fisher-Price if you're daring enough.
Give it a few years and your back and neck will have a different opinion :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
Give it a few years and your back and neck will have a different opinion :laugh:
I've kind of figured, though I also don't tend to wear mine around as much as some other folks tend to. I'm expecting I'll probably transition to one of those lightweight stethoscopes that are pretty easy to replace once I get out in practice, though.

You just gotta get swole and work out those back and neck muscles!!
Alternatively

l3v90.gif

Reactions: 3 users
My hot pink Littman classic II SE has served me well through vet school and nearly three years out in the real world. Two years ago I got a cardio III for Christmas...I have yet to use it :laugh: Mostly because I’m just comfortable with what I’ve got and if it ain’t broke...
My lime green classic II worked just as well for me as the boring black cardio III I'm using while it's being serviced (tubing cracked) right now. And it's a prettier colour. Some things are important you know. :p

Reactions: 5 users
hahaha thanks everyone!
I was originally looking at the littman cardio III off my research (aka google) but looks like it's getting/already is discontinued so I was trying to see what other options actually worked for other people

I've kind of figured, though I also don't tend to wear mine around as much as some other folks tend to. I'm expecting I'll probably transition to one of those lightweight stethoscopes that are pretty easy to replace once I get out in practice, though.
When I was first starting to consider switching from littmann iii to Welch allen, I was excited because the switch was going to take me to a pediatric bell and I mistakenly thought that would weigh less. It doesn't. It actually weighs more :annoyed:
You just gotta get swole and work out those back and neck muscles!!
I'll be sure to get right on that during all of my resident free time ;)

I have a Littmann Cardiology IV, I haven't had much opportunity to use it yet but it's a really popular model. However, some people recommend going with something cheaper like the Littmann Classic for during vet school in case your stethoscope gets lost or stolen on clinics, and then you can upgrade to something nicer once you figure out what you like.

I have the Littmann Cardio IV and I am so happy with it. I think you should just splurge and get a really nice model (like this one) instead of buying a cheaper one, and replacing it again in a few years.

I love my Littmann Cardio III. One of my classmates organized a mass order prior to classes starting, and we got a great discount and free laser engraving. If I were to do it again, I'd choose a more professional color that would go with all my outfits on clinics. I chose red because it stands out and is easy to spot, but if I were to do it again I would get their classy brown one with bronze accents. The stethoscope itself is great, and I like having the two bells.

I ordered the MDF Sprague-X on Amazon for $50 because it looks cool and I figured I'd buy a nicer one for myself for a graduation present if I need it. I had two of my vets and my dad (who's a physician) listen with it to make sure it sounded alright and they all said it sounded great so I'm sticking with it during school. If you're looking for a nice one for $120 less than the Cardiology IV, this one's a keeper.

hahaha thanks everyone!
I was originally looking at the littman cardio III off my research (aka google) but looks like it's getting/already is discontinued so I was trying to see what other options actually worked for other people
Littmann Cardio III is discontinued, but they have them still on amazon (I’m looking at one with burgundy tubing for $82 right now).

I like my littman master cardio. :shrug:

I wouldnt stress over your choice. Look for a sale and if you have the opportunity to try out different ones that people already have then even better.

Buy what will work best for your chosen field. If you're a large animal person, get the veterinary one with longer tubing. You won't need a pediatric bell, and the long tubing is better when working over stocks/chutes. If you're a small animal person, it's more worth it to invest in something like a cardio III. And DEFINITELY worth to invest in engraving or a charm with your name on it.

Buy what will work best for your chosen field. If you're a large animal person, get the veterinary one with longer tubing. You won't need a pediatric bell, and the long tubing is better when working over stocks/chutes. If you're a small animal person, it's more worth it to invest in something like a cardio III. And DEFINITELY worth to invest in engraving or a charm with your name on it.
I'm not a LA person and I'd still suggest getting the longer tubing. I do mostly exotics and wildlife right now and I wish I had longer tubing. You won't have to either a) bend to reach the patient and bring your face closer b) pick up a feisty/hard to restrain critter to auscultate.

Plus the longer tubing would stay around my neck better. I think I might actually try to change the tubing out once I figure out if I can do it, or have it sent somewhere to get it done. My current tubing got stained with ink anyways which makes me sad.

I'm not a LA person and I'd still suggest getting the longer tubing. I do mostly exotics and wildlife right now and I wish I had longer tubing. You won't have to either a) bend to reach the patient and bring your face closer b) pick up a feisty/hard to restrain critter to auscultate.

Plus the longer tubing would stay around my neck better. I think I might actually try to change the tubing out once I figure out if I can do it, or have it sent somewhere to get it done. My current tubing got stained with ink anyways which makes me sad.
I definitely spent time wanting longer tubing. I think it may come with a slight sacrifice in quality of sound. Not having my face near the fractious dog is definitely a motivator. But, now I am used to my shorter scope and wear it comfortably.

I think it's worth buying an expensive and high-quality one to train with. You'll probably take it into your professional life, and you get used to what things sound like on your personal stethoscope. Getting used to a new one is annoying.

I definitely spent time wanting longer tubing. I think it may come with a slight sacrifice in quality of sound. Not having my face near the fractious dog is definitely a motivator. But, now I am used to my shorter scope and wear it comfortably.

I think it's worth buying an expensive and high-quality one to train with. You'll probably take it into your professional life, and you get used to what things sound like on your personal stethoscope. Getting used to a new one is annoying.

The problem with that is that people will have different stethoscopes that just work better for them. Our cardiologist went through three different ones he said til he found the one that works for him. Therefor, he keeps all different kinds for the students to try out to find which one works for them, and they don't know how to even tell which one is better until they have some semblance of knowledge of what they are doing. I wouldn't spend the money until I knew I had the model that was actually worth the money.

What Welch Allyn one do people like?

I ended up buying the Littmann Cardiology IV in one of the slightly more expensive finishes. It wasn't about thinking I needed a fancier stethoscope and if you're just buying one because you need it then yeah, probably go with a cheaper one. For me though, I viewed my stethoscope as a gift to myself and it was the one thing that I was excited about buying so to be perfectly honest... I wanted a pretty one and that's what I got.
I basically did the same thing, for the same reason, except with a cheaper model for now.

Got a white MDF with rose gold finish because

1. It works just fine; I can hear everything we've needed to hear so far without any issues (the MDF has earbuds you can swap out, which is nice for getting a decent seal)

2. It's pretty and I like it

Another plus: I'm the only one in my class with this one, so it does not get lost/confused with someone else's...and if it was stolen I would know exactly who took it because it's not exactly subtle :laugh:

I figured that a stethoscope is a nice graduation gift, too, if it turns out I need something with more oomph when I get out of school.

I basically did the same thing, for the same reason, except with a cheaper model for now.

1. It works just fine; I can hear everything we've needed to hear so far without any issues (the MDF has earbuds you can swap out, which is nice for getting a decent seal)

Another plus: I'm the only one in my class with this one, so it does not get lost/confused with someone else's...and if it was stolen I would know exactly who took it because it's not exactly subtle :laugh:

I figured that a stethoscope is a nice graduation gift, too, if it turns out I need something with more oomph when I get out of school.

I never knew a stethoscope could be so beautiful :biglove: but did the tubing not get dirty?

I never knew a stethoscope could be so beautiful :biglove: but did the tubing not get dirty?
So far I've dropped it in the dirt (aka cow manure) in clinical skills and it has cleaned up nicely. There is a small scratch on the tubing that is not very noticeable, and was kind of expected because I don't take particularly good care of my stuff.

Haven't gone through clinics yet (I'm a first year), so it only gets used ~once a week, though. YMMV

Oh and while I'm posting anyone have any advice on where to purchase steths?
So far I've been looking at medisave, allheart and amazon

Long tubing DEFINITELY decreases sound quality and our cardio prof was a horse person. She always said that little bit of extra tubing wasn't worth it.

I find this hilarious because my roommate has this exact stethoscope and I've seen several people in each class (2018-2021) who have one as well :p

Long tubing DEFINITELY decreases sound quality and our cardio prof was a horse person. She always said that little bit of extra tubing wasn't worth it.
Is the 27" the standard?

What Welch Allyn one do people like?
I have a harvey elite but I use the pediatric head not the standard one. The pedicatric head is what numerous cardio and cc people I know use. Took a little getting used to but now I love it.

Trick is to get it as the student kit because it comes with all the pieces. Otherwise you have to spend more money on the peds head. it sadly doesn't come in a bunch of fun colors, but I love green so at least that worked for me. Also each color is a different model code which makes it harder to search for.

5079-125S Welch Allyn Harvey Elite Stethoscope Black w/Free Student Kit - Steeles.com | Steeles.com
5079-270S Welch Allyn Harvey Elite Stethoscope Burgundy w/Free Student Kit - Steeles.com | Steeles.com
5079-271S Welch Allyn Harvey Elite Stethoscope Navy w/Free Student Kit - Steeles.com | Steeles.com
5079-284S Welch Allyn Harvey Elite Stethoscope Forest Green w/Free Student Kit - Steeles.com | Steeles.com