stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macula_densa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've requested a new stethoscope for Christmas before I hit clinics in January. I know I want a Littmann, but which kind to choose is perplexing me. I think the cardio III sounds the most appealing, but I'm just wondering if anyone on here can advise me about it from their own experience?

I am likely to be working on a variety of large and small animals as I'm going into wildlife (actually, it looks like I might be doing marine animals to start off when I graduate). I want something that's both high quality and versatile enough to work well for a wide range of species. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone finds a stethoscope that suits them best. I really can't say which one you will like in particular. My advice is to try several and then decide. I personally have a Littman Master Cardiology. Apparently this is top of the line and the main difference is quality of materials (which makes the sound/acoustics much better). Another one I have tried is the Ultrascope and I liked it, but my mom bought me my stethoscope and she works in human cardiology - and she didn't like the Ultrascope, so I couldn't ask for one. :)

I also tried one of the electronic stethoscopes (I have hearing loss, so I thought it might help) but I didn't like it.

I will be working with a variety of birds, cats and dogs - but in vet school also must auscultate cows and sheep. The large head on the Master Cardiology seems a bit ridiculous in the small birds, but I can still hear what I need to. I have been told that if you get a large animal stethoscope - one with longer tubing - this decreases the sound quality because it has to travel further.

macula_densa said:
I've requested a new stethoscope for Christmas before I hit clinics in January. I know I want a Littmann, but which kind to choose is perplexing me. I think the cardio III sounds the most appealing, but I'm just wondering if anyone on here can advise me about it from their own experience?

I am likely to be working on a variety of large and small animals as I'm going into wildlife (actually, it looks like I might be doing marine animals to start off when I graduate). I want something that's both high quality and versatile enough to work well for a wide range of species. Any suggestions?

My "everyday" around the barn scope is a Cardio III...it's not too heavy to wear all day, the sound quality is good and the dual head is nice so that you can switch between small/large patients if you need to (I actually DO get the occasional small patient too!). It has a tunable diaphragm which is nice. It has dual tubing which increases the sound quality. I also have a Master Cardio and a WA Harvey Tycos...both I feel have even better sound quality and ability to differentiate subtle things - I only use them when I pick something else up with the Cardio III...and that's with my uneducated ears ;) I wouldn't go with a "veterinary scope" with longer tubing - I don't think you need it and as I think someone said, the tubing distance diminishes sound quality. The Cardio III has 22" tubing and I use that on large animals.

So, all of that said, if I had to pick one scope, I'd go with the Harvey Tycos.