Steve's Ultimate Dental School Application Guide & artist2022's AADSAS guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't believe withdrawals are counted as Fs on your GPA. I am not sure but I think you do have to count that class as repeated
Thanks for your response! I will meet with my pre-health advisor tomorrow, although she specializes in medical school. :x I just can't have something as silly as that classification hinder my app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the awards/honors/scholarships section, what exactly are we expected to add here? Scholarships we received through financial aid? For the honors, does the deans list count? I am very unsure of what they are looking for in this section.
I put the scholarship that I received for undergrad tuition due to high grades, the grant that I got in graduate school to fund my research, and the award that I received at my undergrad graduation for high grades/volunteer work/research.

I put the scholarship that I received for undergrad tuition due to high grades, the grant that I got in graduate school to fund my research, and the award that I received at my undergrad graduation for high grades/volunteer work/research.

Ok great thanks, did you receive the scholarship for undergrad tuition ever year and just put it once? I also got a scholarship for doing summer research and paid housing does that count?

Ok great thanks, did you receive the scholarship for undergrad tuition ever year and just put it once? I also got a scholarship for doing summer research and paid housing does that count?
Yeah I received two scholarships each year - one from the university as a whole and one from the Honors College. I listed it once and then explained that I got it each year.

I would definitely put that! That's basically what my grant in grad school was. They paid for my research and for me to stay in GA to complete it.

I'm struggling to find the answer to my question. Back in the day, I withdrew from a course (NOT due to failing), and took it the following term. Should I classify this as a "repeated course"? I would assume yes.
Additionally, I found an old forum that said withdraws are counted as an F for the GPA, but I'm doubtful of that. Can anyone confirm or deny?
It depends on the withdrawal. If you withdrew because you were failing, then yes.
If you simply withdrew before the drop deadline, then it would count as a repeated course, but not count as a failure in your GPA calculation.

It depends on the withdrawal. If you withdrew because you were failing, then yes.
If you simply withdrew before the drop deadline, then it would count as a repeated course, but not count as a failure in your GPA calculation.
Awesome, thanks for the advice. My advisor and I agreed to put it in as a repeat and that the W would not count as an F. :)

Question about an essay prompt for a supplemental that I have: "Give the reasons for your interest in dentistry and for selecting dentistry as a profession:"

How is this any different than what my personal statement was? I pretty much wrote my personal statement along the lines of "What path has led you to knowing you want to be dentist?"

Question about an essay prompt for a supplemental that I have: "Give the reasons for your interest in dentistry and for selecting dentistry as a profession:"

How is this any different than what my personal statement was? I pretty much wrote my personal statement along the lines of "What path has led you to knowing you want to be dentist?"
Guess you're going to have to repeat yourself?

Wow that's weird. What school is that if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Right? I might just call them up tomorrow and ask what they think. It's UNC's first essay prompt.
haha do that. I hope other schools aren't like that because I'm not should what they would expect students to change from their personal statement.

In case anyone is ever searching this, I called up UNC and got an answer. Spoke to Carolyn and she told me that they mainly use the AADSAS application for grades and statistics and that's about it. Everything else they get from the secondary. So she said it was okay to copy and paste my personal statement for that essay prompt since they most likely won't read the one on the AADSAS app.

Ohhhh no way. Wow I thought all schools read the whole app. Good to know, thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
Question about my marks. I didn't do well in my first 2 years of university and I got B's, C's and one D but after those 2 years I managed to change up my habits and got all A's. Problem is those first 2 years have all my pre-req courses in there.
My s-GPA is around 3.1 and my overal-gpa is 3.45. cDAT scores are AA 22, PAT 23, TS 22. Do you think schools will look at my application unfavorably due to my low pre-req marks, even though my gpa increases after those 2 years with me being on the dean's list now? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Question about my marks. I didn't do well in my first 2 years of university and I got B's, C's and one D but after those 2 years I managed to change up my habits and got all A's. Problem is those first 2 years have all my pre-req courses in there.
My s-GPA is around 3.1 and my overal-gpa is 3.45. cDAT scores are AA 22, PAT 23, TS 22. Do you think schools will look at my application unfavorably due to my low pre-req marks, even though my gpa increases after those 2 years with me being on the dean's list now? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Did those second two years include upper level sciences? If so, you should be okay. You just need proof somewhere that you can handle difficult science courses.

Thank you for this post! This will be very helpful in the future! I do have a question and I've read most of this thread (so hopefully not a stupid question), but I'm waiting on the other LORs (one already submitted), and PS is a work in progress. (DAT scores are working on being processed - took it last week). I'm shooting to submit my application hopefully by either the 1st or 2nd week of July... is this too late?? (I tend to worry about these things a little too much). Thank you for your help!

Thank you for this post! This will be very helpful in the future! I do have a question and I've read most of this thread (so hopefully not a stupid question), but I'm waiting on the other LORs (one already submitted), and PS is a work in progress. (DAT scores are working on being processed - took it last week). I'm shooting to submit my application hopefully by either the 1st or 2nd week of July... is this too late?? (I tend to worry about these things a little too much). Thank you for your help!
No

Ohhhh no way. Wow I thought all schools read the whole app. Good to know, thanks!

It's also a good place to talk about job shadowing because they like to see what you learned from it in wanting to become a dentist.

I have a quick question.
Do I need to compare it to Inc +0 or W/O +-?

Hello guys,

I just took my DAT and I score really low. My GPA is 3.6.
PAT 19
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 17
GCHEM 19
OCHEM 16
TS 17
AA 18

I have a lot of extracurricular activities, and leadership positions. No research. I have been working and taking 16 credits per semester.
Do you think I have a chance of being accepted if I apply this year? Would you retake the DAT? Any feedback will be appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.

Hello guys,

I just took my DAT and I score really low. My GPA is 3.6.
PAT 19
QR 18
RC 19
BIO 17
GCHEM 19
OCHEM 16
TS 17
AA 18

I have a lot of extracurricular activities, and leadership positions. No research. I have been working and taking 16 credits per semester.
Do you think I have a chance of being accepted if I apply this year? Would you retake the DAT? Any feedback will be appreciate it.
Thank you in advance.
That 16 ochem is going to be difficult. I would personally still apply but schedule to retake in 3 months knowing that you HAVE to find a way to improve if you commit to this plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
That 16 ochem is going to be difficult. I would personally still applying but schedule to retake in 3 months knowing that you HAVE to find a way to improve if you commit to this plan.

Thank you, I am really stressed out. I just took the DAT and I was not expecting those results.

Some schools require a minimum DAT scores of 17 in the Total Science and Academic Average sections, does that mean that I have to score a 17 or higher in each section like Bio, Ochem, Gchem or that TS and AA must be 17 or higher? Just trying to confirm.

Thank you, I am really stressed out. I just took the DAT and I was not expecting those results.

Some schools require a minimum DAT scores of 17 in the Total Science and Academic Average sections, does that mean that I have to score a 17 or higher in each section like Bio, Ochem, Gchem or that TS and AA must be 17 or higher? Just trying to confirm.
I'm honestly not sure. I would contact those schools and see what they recommend.

If you do decide to retake, I would definitely head over to the DAT discussion forums on here and read some breakdowns as well. The good news is that you have already been through the DAT once now and know what to expect.

I'm honestly not sure. I would contact those schools and see what they recommend.

If you do decide to retake, I would definitely head over to the DAT discussion forums on here and read some breakdowns as well. The good news is that you have already been through the DAT once now and know what to expect.

Thanks! Good luck on dental school!

Did anyone here tried the AADSAS service in which they do the coursework entry? I'm wondering if this will expedite the verification process

Last edited:
Did anyone here tried the AADSAS service in which they do the coursework entry? I'm wondering if this will expedite the verification process

Recently it seems that the verification process isn't taking as long

It doesn't seem worth the money, and it's not difficult to do it yourself. Set aside an hour and triple check your information. I entered all my courses manually, e-submitted my application, and was verified less than 2 weeks later. Other people have echoed similar timings on a separate thread about GPA verification. I don't know if this pattern will continue throughout July when traffic seems heavier though, so do what you feel is more comfortable.

It literally takes an hour to do it yourself

Save your money and just do it yourself. Being a non-trad, I have many more classes than most and it took me about an hour!

Recently it seems that the verification process isn't taking as long
Save your money and just do it yourself. Being a non-trad, I have many more classes than most and it took me about an hour!
It literally takes an hour to do it yourself
Thank you! yeah it's not that hard I just thought it might make the verification faster. I guess I will just do it myself since the verification process isn't taking long time nowadays.

Thank you! yeah it's not that hard I just thought it might make the verification faster. I guess I will just do it myself since the verification process isn't taking long time nowadays.
I've heard it doesn't actually make your verification faster. So it's basically just a waste of money lol. But if you do want to waste your money, I'll enter your courses for $30 ;)

Sounds pretty accurate, id say I feel the same way, and finding housing is gonna suckkkkkk. @schmoob
Yeah, we move in to our new place in a few weeks. Our house is covered in packed boxes. Because we leave our current house this week. My kids are so confused. "Dad, why are we eating take out on the living room floor?" Haha.

Reactions: 1 users
wow thats crazy, lots of respect to you for being able to go through all of the craziness of dent apps and now dent school while also having a family , I can barely take care of myself lol
Eh, I couldn't do it alone. If it wasn't for my wife I doubt I would be where I was. There is so much to do; the logistics are mind-boggling.
Now we have to couch-surf with family for a few weeks until our lease starts.
Are you going to live near school? It's so expensive in the city! Or are you considering finding a cheaper place like in Queens or Jersey? If you haven't yet, check out Streeteasy. The apartment fees to move into a place are outrageous. 1 month fee plus 1.5 month security deposit plus first months rent is like $8K-10K up front!

Wow lucky you have that amazing support ! Yeah me and my roommate wanna live close to the school , we've been literally living on street easy and apartment hunting in order to try and avoid the realtor fee cause they wanna be paid 2 months rent, its crazy, but the apartments flip so fast , if you find a place you gotta jump on it, but were just now gonna be able to start signing leases for the month of august so we should have an idea of where we will be within the next week or two, when do you start classes?
Living close to school is the way to go I hear, especially the first 2 years. And those fees are outrageous! I'm glad you have a roommate to split the expenses with. Stay on top of it and I'm sure you'll find something.
Orientation starts the last week of August. I already got myself a sweet new Mac :)

Do you list the class as incomplete if you received a W and do you listed as Repeated course when you take it again?

Do you list the Merit/Trustee scholarship that you started receiving when you got accepted to college under awards and do I list it for every semester that I got it

Looking for a little advice please.

I'm considering leaving a section blank ("N/A"), but am unsure if I should try to add some fluff about myself. Any academic blemishes, etc. have already been discussed in my AADSAS. Basically, I don't want to look careless by leaving it blank yet don't want to look silly by writing something useless.

For UAB's supplemental:
"(20) Please state if there is anything of particular importance that the Admissions Committee should know about you."

I'm considering leaving a section blank ("N/A"), but am unsure if I should try to add some fluff about myself. Any academic blemishes, etc. have already been discussed in my AADSAS. Basically, I don't want to look careless by leaving it blank yet don't want to look silly by writing something useless.

For UAB's supplemental:
"(20) Please state if there is anything of particular importance that the Admissions Committee should know about you."
That's really not a question you want to leave blank.

For UAB's supplemental:
when did you receive the supplemental? and when was your application mailed out?

when did you receive the supplemental? and when was your application mailed out?

The supplemental was post marked June 28th and I think I had it in my hands on the 30th. My app was mailed out on June 24th. All that's changed in my life is I've gotten a new job as a server. :/ But as @JLT223 said, it's probably not something I should leave blank. So I have to decide what is of *particular importance* without being repetitive or cliche.

Hi future dentists, I am in need of advice.

I received 2 letters from my chemistry professors, 1 from dentist I shadowed, and 1 from VP at the company at I volunteered.

Should I even apply to Columbia and University of Maryland?
Columbia requires 3 letters from science faculty and Univ. of Maryland requires 1 letter from Chem professor and 1 letter from Bio professor. I was not able to get the 3rd biology letter due to personal situations (1 professor didnt care/1 professor was out of town all the semester and I couldnt build relationship lol).
I really want to apply to Columbia and University of Maryland as I would regret in the future if I do not...
Getting another letter is not an ideal option for me...

Is there anyone who was in a similar position as me?
Thank you so much SDN

I received 2 letters from my chemistry professors, 1 from dentist I shadowed, and 1 from VP at the company at I volunteered.

Columbia requires 3 letters from science faculty and Univ. of Maryland requires 1 letter from Chem professor and 1 letter from Bio professor. I was not able to get the 3rd biology letter due to personal situations (1 professor didnt care/1 professor was out of town all the semester and I couldnt build relationship lol).
I really want to apply to Columbia and University of Maryland as I would regret in the future if I do not...

Thank you so much SDN

I am in the same position as you for Maryland. The biology department at my university doesn't care about the students at all. I got the same types of letters as you and I just applied. Maryland hasn't said anything about to me since June, so I'm assuming that the letters are ok.

Thank you so much SDN
With that DAT score, find the cheapest place you can go. You have lots of options. Seriously, you killed it! Don't limit yourself.

For Oklahoma University, do we have to send transcripts directly to their school? That's what it says on their website
""OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
Applications are considered incomplete until all applicable documents, including official transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions and Records. Applications are subject to immediate denial by some OUHSC programs if transcripts are not received by the application deadline. Students are advised to review and follow instructions given by the college major. "" or if we already sent them to AADSAS we should be fine

Is it too late to apply for 2017 cycle now?