Stick to the schedule or fill all the red past due rx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CARph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok some of you might remember my previous post about getting cut 80 hours on the 1st week of 2018. Basically my staffs and I have been putting in crazy amount of OT the past few weeks due to the insane amount of prescriptions coming in (and ignoring the unrealistic schedules). Well the District Leader finally caught on and sent an email to all stores telling us to stick to the schedules and said we have no right to spend any OT.....So I now stuck in this situation of either I stay extra hours and help finish as many prescriptions as possible or I just clock out when my shift is over (and leave all the unfinished prescriptions behind for the next day). One way or the other I'm doomed both giving the district leader right to write me up.....What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Verify as much non-red as possible & red acutes during what little overlap time there is. Leave red inventory & Narcotics off to the side (narcotics do not count...RPhs here play the system & leave me all narcs for overnight ><). Have techs separate the reds ("oranges") from the non-reds for organization & quick convenience in case something needs expediting.

Yeah, not too thrilled about the situation myself; even more "game playing" of the system. Overnights just take care of the reds during dead pick up hours. If you are a non-24 hour store, I strongly urge you to verify all red acutes (ABx, CSs, rescue inhalers, etc.) before the shift is over in case they need to be transferred in to a 24 hour store (can't transfer in stuff that is "in process" & bill correctly). Leave all other red for the morning to verify for non-24 hour

Make them write you up for be being behind

TBH I haven't ever seen any pharmacist get written up due to understaffing at CVS

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok some of you might remember my previous post about getting cut 80 hours on the 1st week of 2018. Basically my staffs and I have been putting in crazy amount of OT the past few weeks due to the insane amount of prescriptions coming in (and ignoring the unrealistic schedules). Well the District Leader finally caught on and sent an email to all stores telling us to stick to the schedules and said we have no right to spend any OT.....So I now stuck in this situation of either I stay extra hours and help finish as many prescriptions as possible or I just clock out when my shift is over (and leave all the unfinished prescriptions behind for the next day). One way or the other I'm doomed both giving the district leader right to write me up.....What would you do?

Definitely forward yourself every email you get from the District leader. I would even ask how he/she would like you to handle the prescriptions that you are not able to get to. Take pictures of the queue, pull up reports and know how many scripts you are verifying per hour and how many you would have to verify per hour in order to close your shift with an empty queue.
If you start circumventing the system by changing due time, or putting prescriptions on hold, then you'll have upset patients and on top of that, your boss will think the job is getting done just fine; so they'll ask for more.

I worked at a 24 hour store where I my overnight shift would always start with at least 20 pages of red. The rxmanager had gotten it in his head that they were to start the day with a fresh queue and that I was suppose to hand them an empty in the morning. Ok, fine. I did that several times and kept track of what they did with my efforts. I would hand them a clean queue and I would find prescriptions that were red from 8:00am. So if I left at 7:00am and came back at 8:00pm, and I find up 37 pages of red, some of the scripts are from 8:00am and at least half are from before 12:00pm, WHAT THE F#CK DID YOU DO ALL DAY??? They had 3 pharmacists at this CVS. Not surprisingly, that pharmacy manager is still around. And that brings up my next point. It is nearly impossible to get fired from CVS.

Do not stay extra. They need to get their heads out of their @sses and realize that what they're doing is wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
My sup told us since we care is no longer on scorecard they don't care if the numbers drop significantly. right now target is my patient care. I would not stay extra, we don't get paid to. Narc inventory counts that go red are an automatic fail on audit and told those are write ups, so I would do those before verifying reds.