Sticky Job Situation--> Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

-Goose-

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals-

I am facing a rather sticky predicament. I have recently decided to change jobs (the lab I was working in has essentially decided to cut me back to 10-15 hours per week and therefore the power company has essentially decided to cut back on the availability of my electricity :eek: ). Therefore, I am in the market for a new job... I've applied to several at my local academic medical center, and I've gotten one bite so far... problem is, in the nice, long-winded email my potential future employer sent me, she explains her lab's research and then specifically states: " would like to arrange a time to talk with you via telephone about your interests in our position and your long term plans."
Yikes!

Problem is, my long term plans are to attend medical school next fall (I've gotten a couple offers so far... so I'm definitely going SOMEWHERE next fall)... I feel like noone in their right mind would hire me for this short amount of time, but I have to water and feed myself at the same time?

What should I do?
What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

In a similar situation - went the honest way and found 2 jobs willing to take me for that time frame...why mislead if you dont have to?

Be honest, hope for the best. :thumbup:

Good Luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Be honest! I was job hunting a few months ago, and knew I wouldn't be staying longer than a year. Everyone told me to lie at my interview, but when it came down to it, I just couldn't. Anyway, it turns out my boss' wife is a physician and they have been together since undergrad days so he was COMPLETELY understanding of my situation. Long story short, I got the job and its been great b/c the whole office has known my plans and been VERY supportive.

My advice--be honest. Good luck!

Wow, finally a thread with posts encouraging being honest with employers. I was starting to get jaded with all those previous posts telling aspiring med students to lie through their teeths to win a job for the year.

Goose-d, at this point, just find any job, med related or not, that pays the bills. You're sitting on two acceptances--don't kill yourself looking for the perfect temporary job.

you have acceptances in hand-get any job that pays the bills it is on ly very temporary, don't screw somebody over if you don't have to

You can do it! (without being dishonest!)
You'll find something very easily-- just be persistent and remember that you have everything that a prospective employer wants in their employee!