Stigma of Hand Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Footprints13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying to orthopedics, is there a stigma with saying one wants to do hand surgery? One of the program directors I spoke with seemed to talk down about the field as being "less orthopedic/for those who aren't strong enough to handle hip/knee/shoulder work" I like hand surgery and most of my research is targeted to this area, but I don't want to talk about it with program directors if it will put some kind of stigma on me during the application process.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you should freely offer any info of what fellowship you want to pursue unless you are definitely asked. You never know what weird biases folks might have. When I was asked I gave them a general list of a couple sub-specialities but always ended the sentence with, "But I'm really not sure right now and I'm open to seeing what I like during residency." No need to bottle yourself up before you've even matched.

When applying to orthopedics, is there a stigma with saying one wants to do hand surgery? One of the program directors I spoke with seemed to talk down about the field as being "less orthopedic/for those who aren't strong enough to handle hip/knee/shoulder work" I like hand surgery and most of my research is targeted to this area, but I don't want to talk about it with program directors if it will put some kind of stigma on me during the application process.

I agree with DoctaJay. I would be hesitant to suggest you are definitively interested in any sub-specialty of orthopaedics. When asked, say you are interested in a broad orthopaedic education, because you honestly should be. You are interested in hand surgery because you have had a lot of exposure to it. You may go through residency and want to do Spine, Onc or Peds, etc... or you may ultimately end up as a "hand weenie." In general I have found no real animosity towards ortho hand surgeons, just good natured ribbing. If you encounter a program director that looks down on hand, that is his hang-up, and is pretty juvenile. His/her program should produce orthopods with full exposure to all sub-specialties and encourage you to explore your interests. You can eventually tailor your practice to include as much or as little general ortho as you want, if you go that route.

Hand surgery is an important aspect of orthopaedics, and orthopods need to continue to have a strong presence in the specialty. IMHO general surgeons have little place in the specialty and PRS doesn't have the full understanding of the musculoskeletal skeletal system (including spine, shoulder, and elbow pathology) and how it can relate to, or masquerade as hand pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is being strong really that important for ortho residency? I mean I'm not weak, but certainly not buff either. Is a 160 lb bench enough?

I'm really interested in hand surgery as well, but kind of worried about this strength requirement for general ortho.

I don't think you should freely offer any info of what fellowship you want to pursue unless you are definitely asked. You never know what weird biases folks might have. When I was asked I gave them a general list of a couple sub-specialities but always ended the sentence with, "But I'm really not sure right now and I'm open to seeing what I like during residency." No need to bottle yourself up before you've even matched.

So then should I try and diversify my research. Most of my publications/presenations are in hand surgery. I have a good connection with the local hand group which makes it easy to get involved in research projects. I can get 2-3 more papers if I stay with the hand surgeons. If I spread out, I don't know what I could get, if anything.

I guess my real question is whether or not a program will knock someone if their research is only in one sub-specialty.

Absolutely not. What is more important is whether you can talk intelligently about your projects. It doesn't matter how many projects you have or whether all of your projects are related L3 vertebra or the pinky. Its how you can present you research. Of course having a pub is better than not having a pub.

Is being strong really that important for ortho residency? I mean I'm not weak, but certainly not buff either. Is a 160 lb bench enough?

I'm really interested in hand surgery as well, but kind of worried about this strength requirement for general ortho.

Do you plan on pushing lots of patients? If you really want to get the distance, I'd up that bench a bit.

Seriously, what is with the benching obsession? If anything, a good deadlift is probably more valuable....or maybe some heavy good mornings or something. :p

nm

Last edited:

This has been discussed previously. Unless you have some form of myopathy, you will be fine. Brute strength is sometimes beneficial, but almost never absolutely required.

If you believe that it is possible to bench "enough," the field may not be for you.

Just sayin'...