still no interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shamthis, Sep 25, 2002.

1. 24 schools- all applications complete the second week of August - reapplicant- all three tiers represented - interviewed at 4 of the schools last year in September - 3.5 from a good school - 30R - varsity athlete for four years - doing clinical research now and shadowing a surgeon - great application altogether -

-- still, no interviews
    ---what gives?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chem01

chem01 Senior Member

You are not alone!

Just keep hope alive and believe that your patience in this whole process will pay off!!

Good luck!! :)

4. agent

agent agent, RN

thats ****ty.. according to everything ive read here you seem like a good applicant.

5. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    What has changed in your application this time around? Your mcat is good, and gpa is good...so I don't know what's holding u back.

If your application hasn't changed really, then did u find out why you didn't get more interviews last year?

For instance, the dean at UMNDJ-NJMS (where I was waitlisted) told me to improve my mcat score and try again. So I know that that was my weakness.

For some reason I don't think they seem to care too much if(in ur new application) your stats remained the same but u did one or two more EC's. A friend didn't volunteer at all during her time but improved her mcat by 3 points and she got in the next time around. She told me not to even try to overload myself with volunteer activities....(do 1 or 2) because there are more important factors that can make or break your application.

How is your personal statement? recommendations (these help A LOT)?. On all my interviews they mentioned that I had great rec's.

6. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

that's pretty strange man. did you apply to all 12 schools in NY? if so, and if you haven't gotten an invite from nymc, then that is VERY weird b/c they started inviting people in August. did you have an interview from them last year?
    also, did anything happen during your interviews last application cycle that could have possibly warranted you being blacklisted?

7. What has changed in your application this time around? Your mcat is good, and gpa is good...so I don't know what's holding u back.

My AMCAS was written more maturely, more delicately, and more meditatively. I have literally taken a new lease on life- more relaxed, less arrogant and less agressive. I have witnessed and assisted 75 surgeries since last year. I got a great new letter of reccomendation. I spent a month as a patient in three hospitals after a pretty major traumatic event, and I almost died. I recovered completely. I confirmed my deep interest in medicine.

If your application hasn't changed really, then did u find out why you didn't get more interviews last year?

I got 5 interviews last year and I applied to 13 schools- split between Tier I and II. Not too shabby- and all my invitations were in September.

How is your personal statement? recommendations (these help A LOT)?. On all my interviews they mentioned that I had great rec's.

I wrote my personal statement very carefully and paid 120 dollars to have it edited twice. My reccommendations are the same as last year: two science faculty at Cornell and my coach- plus a new letter from the surgeon I assist and work with. I did everything I possibly could to boost my chances for acceptances after 3 waitlists last year... yes, I was that close.

I am thinking about pursuing a degree in Architecture. That field always interested me, too.

Blacklisted, I swear,
    Sham

8. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

That is crazy. Are you female? Even more crazy it that is so.

I think you need to move to a new state, then apply. It's all a huge game, like I've been saying. Believe it.

Gumshoe

9. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    Well you said you are less arrogant now so maybe (since u received early interviews) it was a problem with your demeanor at the interviews. I am just assuming.

Did u apply to the same schools? The application process is very wierd.
    Some schools will see ur new application and wonder "what changed in this person?"...if they see a change then that's good.

It's still early so don't worry. If u get a nothing around march, then u can pretty much start freaking out.

10. Blacklisted. The words freaks me out. Perhaps I am.

In fact, at my NYMC interview last fall, an elderly doctor asked me what I think about euthanasia. I said it depends on the patient; I thought some patients and their families would benefit from euthanasia. His words still resonate in my head, "Son, you're digging your own grave."

At Tufts, my interviewer- who graduated from a "small" school told me that in his experience, all rowers tend to become great people and do great things in life. I thanked him, agreed, and offered an explanation: possibly it's because seven of the top ten rowing schools in the nation are Ivies. Right then and there I knew I said something very wrong, and the rest of my interview crumbled.

At Georgetown, I checked my watch a lot because my interview was postponed twice and my dad's flight at BWI was 45 minutes after my interview started- I felt very distracted, needless to say.

These were my most notable interview 'blunders' last fall. The Dean of admissions at Drexel told me I said something that "concerned" one of my interviewers. Althogether- it was a lousy interview season, but I spoke my mind honestly and without inhibition. Unfortunately, I opened some gates too far and said too much.

The turnout was surprising last year, but not in retrospect. I'll say it again- perhaps this field is not for me. It's a dream- but so is winning the lottery; not all dreams go realized and I must come to terms with that.

Oy,
    Shammy

11. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

keep it simple, or quite. Maybe you aren't for the medical field, because you are the guy/girl that they DON'T want in their med schools. It is harsh, but maybe you're the reason why they interview! If that's not the case, and you know it, just go in there, don't say too much, and show them you are likeable. You'll get in if you believe you will.

Positive.

Gumshoe

12. True, true, gumshoe. I've tried to change. Now all I need is a chance to show medical schools I'm better than I was a year ago. Oh, and I hereby place a moratorium on the word "blacklist"; I shiver every time I think of it.

I told my friend today that I'll end up a doctor or a very bitter architect. I told some doctors in the OR yesterday this is the last year I will be a pre-med.

After all, it's just a dream. Life's a bitch-

ST

13. Tweetie_bird

Shammy,
    It's too early to get sad yet hon. Keep your hopes alive. Believe that it will happen. I know that we are all in the pits this year, perhaps it's just a slow cycle??? I don't know. I would like to believe you'll make a fine and caring physician; all you have to do is wait for one interview. Don't sell yourself so short. If you won't believe in yourself, how are you going to convince them when the time comes?

And also, don't underestimate the power of prayers. Be well and keep me updated. I want to hear from you within two weeks that you got an interview. :)

14. Thank you, Jesus-- er, Tweetie. :)

Seriously, whether I mention it or not I will never forget all the moral support you offer the SDN community. If it's even a subtle boost from the pits, just think about how many people's days you make.

Best, ST

15. Tweetie_bird

:) You're a sweetie, Shammy. thank you for the kind words. I have bumped up the "Official: I need a hug" thread for you to post on. I think you could really use a hug.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. chem01

chem01 Senior Member

"Thank you, Jesus-- er, Tweetie."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

18. Veilside

Veilside Senior Member

did he care to tell you what exactly you said that disconcerted the interviewer? if not, do you have any idea on what it was?

but i wouldn't worry too much about it right now though. it's still very early in the application cycle. i'm pretty sure you're not blacklisted. although med schools do talk to each other about certain applicants, they won't do it unless it's something REALLY bad, like lying on your application.

19. Tweetie_bird

LOL, it will be a whole new world if I start looking like Jesus.

20. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member

Shamthis,
    Don't worry yet, it's still sooooo early. And I don't think there's a very high chance you've been, ummm, put on any sort of dark colored list ;) (i'm trying not to use the word...). first of all, you've definitely applied to different schools than those 5 you interviewed at, so most likely, the other schools have no idea what happened last year. i'd be VERY surprised if schools bother sharing information about such minor mistakes as you mentioned (if you had said, "when I become a doctor, I can't wait to euthanize everyone" that might be a different story). you also have not done anything against the AMCAS rules for application (ie matriculate at one school and hold an acceptance to another, etc.). I know it's really hard, but just be patient a while longer. If there's anything I've learned from this board, it's that patience is everything in this waiting game.

keep your chin up - i know we'll be seeing your "first interview" post here very soon!!

:)

21. buglady

buglady We need more cowbell

Resident [Any Field]
    Sham,

Please don't get down on yourself. Just think, there are some people out there who haven't even turned in their AMCAS yet. Some schools haven't even started interviewing yet! You're way ahead of the game.

No worries, there are lots of other people who haven't received any interviews yet. I know it's hard to not worry about the whole situation, but if this were May and not September, then maybe I'd freak out. Until then, keep your head up...:) !

22. Wow. The support is overwhelming.

Thanks, Buglady. While my original post was designed to elicit answers and insight, and not pity, this thread indicates the true compassion and commitment of the SDN community to serving others. It gives me confidence in tomorrow's doctors.

As for giving up, losing hope, and everything else everyone is telling me not to do, I am still confident. Its just that I simply cannot afford (emotionally and financially) to be an applicant for a third year. So when I said "this is the last year I am a pre-med", I was not kidding. And that's not to say I will run away from my dream altogether- I'd prefer to call it a hiatus.

Thanks anyway,
    Shampois Thisington
    SDNer Emeritus

23. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member

ShamThis,

keep your head up. I think you will be alright...you did your best, and now it's time for the school to do their part..which they will, all in good timing.

I did laugh about that rowing comment..... :laugh: that was great!

hang in there..

24. Hahaha, it is pretty hilarious...in a tragic sort of way... kind of like the girl who recieved 5 Stanford rejection letters. In a way, it's terrible. At the same time, it's hilarious.

Glad I made you laugh, Beavis. :)

25. PelicanMan

PelicanMan Senior Member

Shaman

I would like to say that even if you do not get accepted this year. I would reapply if I were you.

Like you I am a reapplicant with good stats who had 4 interviews all at great schools. I was placed on 2 waitlists. Anyway, I know that if I don't get in this year, I will try again. I really can't see myself doing anything other than medicine. Just my thoughts.

26. imperator

imperator Member

Why is the medical community so opposed to euthanasia? My initial reaction would be closest to that of shamthis.