Still waiting on places - should I ask for an interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

koonafa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the norm, but I'm still waiting to hear from about 7 places that I applied to (for Internal Medicine). I was considering emailing them and letting them know I was interested in their program, telling them I have a recently updated transcript w/ new grades, etc. Is this a good idea? And if so, do I email the PD themselves, or go through their secretary person?? Thanks a lot and any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

koonafa said:
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the norm, but I'm still waiting to hear from about 7 places that I applied to (for Internal Medicine). I was considering emailing them and letting them know I was interested in their program, telling them I have a recently updated transcript w/ new grades, etc. Is this a good idea? And if so, do I email the PD themselves, or go through their secretary person?? Thanks a lot and any advice would be great.

I emailed 3 IM programs that i want to hear from, like 4 days ago. No response back, i guess they are receiving alot of emails right now. I emailed the PD in all 3 emails, maybe thats the reason for no response, maybe hes to busy right now!!

It would have been a great idea...about a month ago. Unfortunately it is getting pretty late at this point and most interview calendars are filled. However, you have nothing to lose by contacting now, so go for it.

I did this in early November last year at four programs and promptly received enthusiastic interview invitations from two of them, one of which I ended up matching at! It never hurts to show interest and pursue a program if you are seriously interested in it. Just do it ASAP.

As for whom to contact, look at the program website the "For information about our program, contact so-and-so" bit, and contact that person - whether it's the secretary or the PD.