Stocks and investing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw another thread get derailed. But, I get the vibe that some people want to talk investing and stocks. A pass time of mine is ̶i̶n̶v̶e̶s̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ gambling on small cap biopharmaceutical development stocks. This accounts for like less than 5% of my total portfolio. Sometimes I make a good amount of money. Sometimes I don't.

My hope is to make a thread like r/wallstreetbets or whatever.

Members don't see this ad.

We just bought a new home, so I'm building back a few reserve categories and probably not speculating in 2022. I'd also say that about 5-10% of what I have is probably in more fun/spec stuff. Like the brewery we have ownership shares in.

Reactions: 3 users
5-10% is what I use to speculate on individual stocks as well. Nothing crazy, but Pfizer and Diageo have been good pandemic buys for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm boring. Straight target date retirement funds. Even been fighting the urge to chop into 3 index funds funds to minimize my temptation to tinker, though that may need to change once we start a taxable (have access to both a 403b and a 457 so it may be a while - though less than before if they finally close the backdoor roth option this year).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm boring. Straight target date retirement funds. Even been fighting the urge to chop into 3 index funds funds to minimize my temptation to tinker, though that may need to change once we start a taxable (have access to both a 403b and a 457 so it may be a while - though less than before if they finally close the backdoor roth option this year).

Nothing wrong with that. I use the gov target date L fund for TSP and a five fund allocation for most of my non-retirement money. Been playing with percentages, but one reason I am largely boglehead is being a psychologist I am all too aware that my attentional resources/time are the biggest limitation in investing. The individual stuff is for when I am bored.

Regarding back door ROTH contributions. There are some bare bones annuities on the market if the backdoor options close. I was just speaking to my financial advisor about that. Getting those backdoor contributions in this year at least.

Definitely the way most people should go. I completely max out all of my safe, boring options before doing anything risky/speculative.

Retirement account is boring. Several portfolios that are separated based on strategy. A few pieces of real estate. Some physical objects and foreign currency.

Lots of EDGAR searches, and google alerts. Limited use of options, and margins. No crypto. No residential REITs. No precious metal securities. No shipping company securities. I'm not a landlord. No FOREX.

Retirement account is boring. Several portfolios that are separated based on strategy. A few pieces of real estate. Some physical objects and foreign currency.

Lots of EDGAR searches, and google alerts. Limited use of options, and margins. No crypto. No residential REITs. No precious metal securities. No shipping company securities. I'm not a landlord. No FOREX.

You forgot about whiskey/bourbon futures. The bottles of Pappy that I bought at cost are doing well :) In hindsight shame news, I used to even more of an uber nerd than I am now and had a metric butt ton of Magic cards from the first several editions. I see how much some of the cards I used to have multiples of are selling for now and do a slight face palm.

One stock I'm playing is $vlon (Vallon Pharmaceuticals). Good leadership team (the ceo is the guy who brought Vyvanse to market). They are developing an abuse deterrent delivery system for IR methylphenidate and amphetamine salts.

Most of my stuff is in total stock market indexes, mostly US some international, some REITs.

TSLA was in the fun money portion of my portfolio. It has been a fun ride.

I have also been researching in the small cap biotech space, ENZC, POAI, that kind of thing but haven't pulled the trigger on anything and probably won't. I am more looking into the A.I. space for the next 5-10 years.

I hope to FIRE, emphasis on the FI, ASAP. However, my risk aversion tends to get in the way at times.

Last edited:
You forgot about whiskey/bourbon futures. The bottles of Pappy that I bought at cost are doing well :) In hindsight shame news, I used to even more of an uber nerd than I am now and had a metric butt ton of Magic cards from the first several editions. I see how much some of the cards I used to have multiples of are selling for now and do a slight face palm.
1) It's "Buttload". Which equals 126 gallons. or 4 barrels.
2) Just buy MGPI. They produce most bourbons in the USA.... in Indiana. Not Bourbon county, KY.
3) Why does the guy with the brewery not know this?

1) It's "Buttload". Which equals 126 gallons. or 4 barrels.
2) Just buy MGPI. They produce most bourbons in the USA.... in Indiana. Not Bourbon county, KY.
3) Why does the guy with the brewery not know this?

I'm using the Imperial system. Pssh, who wants the stocks? I want those bottles lining the back of my home bar for flex purposes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm telling y'all, time to ride SHIB into early retirement. What could go wrong...?

But yes, the retirement accounts are all super boring, which is fine by me. I'm wanting to get into some (probably commercial) real estate at some point, but nothing going yet.

Can you elaborate on why no crypto?
Less than 10% of my money is in ETH and bitcoin. I am not in this for short-term gain but dang the prices are good. Just sold a little bit.

I know quite a few folks invested in crypto, but all with the same approach--it's part of their portfolio, but a small part, typically 10% or less. I personally have <1% in a few different currencies right now, mostly just for fun. I'd look at ETH and BTC as the two main long-term hold options, and potentially add LTC. I don't know enough to say anything beyond that.

Can you elaborate on why no crypto?
Less than 10% of my money is in ETH and bitcoin. I am not in this for short-term gain but dang the prices are good. Just sold a little bit.

There's several reasons:

1) I don't understand it, or believe in it. It's a fiat currency, which isn't actually used as a currency. If you tried to sell it to me, what would you say? "It's money, that is not accepted anywhere, where a single unit is worth so much that you can't buy an apple with it, and it changes value so fast, that consumer prices cannot be tied to it, but it's valuable because it gains value?" That is a dangerous position, in my books.

2) Then it's unregulated. Your money disappears? You're on your own. Until it is regulated, which happened to the poker sites. The involvement in illegal enterprises opens the market up to being banned, regulated, or other things.

3) It's volatile. I don't invest in things that I have to frequently track. I only have so much mental space, and time. I can track the investments I have, and the businesses I partially own. I can't check the price of X several times per day and cross reference it to twitter, news, and whatever.

4) It's risky. The biggest player is a pseudonymous Japanese dude who could tank the market in an hour.... and we know nothing about him. If quantum computing is cracked, the currency will fail. Someone hacks a wallet and you're boned. The involvement in illegal enterprises is also a consideration.

5) It's objectively manipulated by several big players, according to recent publications. And I don't trust them.

6) I don't see a market inefficiency by which to get an advantage. I don't have the capital, knowledge, time, expertise, etc to beat others. That is how short term investing works.

7) IRS is moving to get capital gains on crypto. I had to fill in some forms on last year's returns. Capital gains would really affect the market. You'd need 6x to make that worth your while. And when you select those parts of your tax returns, the IRS will scrutinize the hell out of you. I opened some EU accounts, and suddenly the IRS decided to look through 7 years of financials.

8) There are better options to make the same, that I understand. If i wanted to day trade, I could trade options or futures, get similar results while staying in a regulated market. Same process: watch the market, locate an inefficiency, snipe a price, and wait. But I can use the math skills from my profession in that sphere. Not so with crypto.

Thoughts on the psychedelics space? MNMD, CYBN, CMPS? I find it a fascinating space to read about and research between the state of the literature, being in the healthcare space, seeing and hearing patient's and general public views on these things, and government barriers/evolution.

I'm converting 100% of my portfolio to NFTs. Becuase, what could go wrong with "owning" gifs?
How much you think this is going for?

dancing baby GIF

Thoughts on the psychedelics space? MNMD, CYBN, CMPS? I find it a fascinating space to read about and research between the state of the literature, being in the healthcare space, seeing and hearing patient's and general public views on these things, and government barriers/evolution.

Long cannabis, arbitrage positions with sectors affected by it (e.g., labs, insurance companies that cover corporate employment practices).

Hard out on psychedelics. Long term consumer market is limited (I.e, I’ve never seen a long term psychedelic user that was successful, despite Silicon Valley micro dosing). It’s also not a sin sector that is predicted by a recession, ala revlon index. And certain countries are… unregulated in that sector.

I bought my first stock (NVDA) junior year of undergrad and continue to invest in it whenever I can. I also heavily invest in other individual tech stocks and TQQQ. If you can stomach very high volatility and can read the cultural zeitgeist (psychologists can do that, right?), then you should be doing well in the market. For example, if you could've predicted the mass hysteria surrounding the pandemic's start then you would've made bank. My cohort loves to complain about our stipends and I just smile and nod. Love neuropsychology, but I plan on FIREing 5-10 years out of postdoc.

I wanted to address the concerns expressed about cryptocurrency investing.

Here's my take - I think knee-jerk avoidance of exposure to cryptocurrency as an asset class is potentially very short sighted. I've been DCA into Bitcoin and Ethereum since mid-2018 and my overall crypto portfolio has exploded several hundred percent since then. The majority of my cryptocurrency portfolio is in BTC and ETH, but worth mentioning I also have an altcoin portfolio that I position trade - and yes, this requires real research and understanding of the crypto markets (which my wife tells me is essentially my "second job.")

Regarding the other concerns mention about crypto, such the capital gains side of things - sure, managing that can be daunting, but it's do-able if you know how to track what you do (I use Koinly.io, which is a pretty comprehensive software-based crypto tracking system). Regarding the issues of excessive risk, lack of regulation, opaqueness of markets, quibbling about whether cryptocurrencies are "real" currencies or not, those are all immaterial in my mind.

Cryptocurrency (or, if you prefer, "digital assets") are an emerging market and asset class. If you're a fan of government regulation, not to worry, it's happening, government is getting involved, so if that's a concern you can certainly wait until you feel the government has sufficiently regulated it before you get your feet wet.

But by the time the government has completely moved in and done their regulatory capture business, I assure you - most of the high-alpha plays will be gone, by design. I choose not to wait. This relates to the other issue, the one of volatility, as supposedly a downside. Volatility is kind of the point - it's a feature, not a bug. My initial investment in cryptocurrency has been small, basically throwing away a small percentage of my paycheck every other week. It's since ballooned to a point where I'm seriously able to consider being able to pay off my mortgage early with the proceeds.

I also have a portfolio of equities, precious metals, I own real estate, bonds, fixed income, and 520 plans for my kids- so I believe in diversification. But again, I think given the potential gains in the space it makes virtually no sense to have at least a small allocation (1-2% of your portfolio) in cryptocurrency, particularly Bitcoin.

Just my take. Happy to chat about this more.

Last edited:
As an outsider to crypto I just find it fascinating to call it an investment. Investing into.... what?

Sure, its a way to make some money. But I don't know I'd label it that way. I hope you get wealthy @JeyRo !

Just something to look into for people who have already maxed out their IRAs and other investment vehicles. Series I bonds are looking pretty good in the current inflationary environment.
I bonds are amazing right now I would definitely get 10k worth of those.

Im just playing the long game. Max out I bonds every year, max out retirement, and investing into index funds correlated with S&P 500, which even if it has down periods, it usually nets around a 10% annual return. Nice and safe bets.

I bonds are amazing right now I would definitely get 10k worth of those.

Im just playing the long game. Max out I bonds every year, max out retirement, and investing into index funds correlated with S&P 500, which even if it has down periods, it usually nets around a 10% annual return. Nice and safe bets.

Yeah, I Bonds in general are an underappreciated part of a good diversified portfolio, and, with inflation where it is, they're kind of a no brainer short to intermediate term investment at least. And, as long as you've held them for a year, they're a fairly liquid investment. I'm in a similar boat to you, I max out my retirement accounts, do some bonds, and then have a smaller portion that I do riskier investments in.

Yeah, I Bonds in general are an underappreciated part of a good diversified portfolio, and, with inflation where it is, they're kind of a no brainer short to intermediate term investment at least. And, as long as you've held them for a year, they're a fairly liquid investment. I'm in a similar boat to you, I max out my retirement accounts, do some bonds, and then have a smaller portion that I do riskier investments in.

though I am tempted to invest 10k into NVIDA stock while its at a big down period, because historically it does quite well and has big potential for upswing.

Another thing I was considering lately are REITs

though I am tempted to invest 10k into NVIDA stock while its at a big down period, because historically it does quite well and has big potential for upswing.

Another thing I was considering lately are REITs

Yeah, REITs are something I have just been starting to look into. Spouse and I are both going to be looking at an income bump this year and going forward, so I've been looking into further diversification over and above what I am doing. I don't really feel like playing the individual stock game beyond some blue-chip dividend pieces.

Funny enough I just dumped a lot into NVDA for the same reasons as you. It is one of the few individual stocks that I think has enough of a solid foundation along with the massive potential upside next 10 years.

REITs into the IRA, given tax implications elsewhere, are a solid move. I've started doing this since 2020.

Yeah, REITs are something I have just been starting to look into. Spouse and I are both going to be looking at an income bump this year and going forward, so I've been looking into further diversification over and above what I am doing. I don't really feel like playing the individual stock game beyond some blue-chip dividend pieces.

I own some VNQ and like it for the asset diversification. If I am going to more to a larger allocation than I currently have, it is definitely going into the IRA. Picking up some I bonds currently and divesting from some healthcare stocks (Pfizer and UNH).

Where do you all think NFLX is going the next few years?

They have done a decent job of managing growth thus far. However, they have a lot of debt and face some serious issues with competition as services like disney+ have been pulling their content for their own streaming services. Their original content is not that good and their prices keep going up. I have a feeling this is the correction that they were due as their previous business model is facing serious threats.

Last edited:
Where do you all think NFLX is going the next few years?

The way of MySpace, IMHO. The CEO seem tone deaf to the real threats Netflix is facing. I mean Netflix is obviously more special than other streaming companies, so I get why they're above basic marketing strategies like free trials, discounting subscriptions (sans ads), licensing their content to other platforms to bring in viewers, and...advertising.

The way of MySpace, IMHO. The CEO seem tone deaf to the real threats Netflix is facing. I mean Netflix is obviously more special than other streaming companies, so I get why they're above basic marketing strategies like free trials, discounting subscriptions (sans ads), licensing their content to other platforms to bring in viewers, and...advertising.

Having half of their subscriber base sharing accounts outside of the household doesn't help the bottom line, either.

Cracking down on family-sharing to raise profits is certainly testable. My guess is Netflix isn't the only streaming service people share though.

Definitely not. I assume the big services are all waiting for someone else to trial out a crackdown to see how it goes before pulling the trigger themselves.

Market is looking a bit up this morning after being pummeled yesterday. Let's see how it goes...

Hint: you’re a group of psychologists. You know how humans behave in uncertain times and in negative times. You have some stat skills. That’s your advantage. You’re not going to beat people who spend 40-90hrs/wk in finance.

GME and AMC calls, got it.
I almost never do derivatives. And I almost only have long positions. It makes investing easier, less stressful, and less time intensive.

You usually want to shoot for an 8X ROI in those types of investments, including angel investing. You end up losing most of your bets, so you need big ROIs on the ones that pay to cover those losses. You can get better odds (and stories) playing craps or baccarat.

I just assume the S&P 500 is not going to collapse and regression to the mean is a thing.

I just assume the S&P 500 is not going to collapse and regression to the mean is a thing.
Dollar cost averaging helps that - smarter people than us have never been able to time the market.

Dollar cost averaging helps that - smarter people than us have never been able to time the market.

Of course. However, you don't need to be a prognosticator to know that a 52 week low is below average. If you have a little extra and want to hedge your bets, seems like a fine time for a long term investment. Just don't get caught up in trying to buy at the lowest point.

Couple days left to snag those I bonds and lock in that rate, remember that you can buy up to 10k.