Stony brook and NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pete6277

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the time and method of notification for stony brook and NYU on Dec 1st? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nyu is via email early morning and stony calls mid afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You get calls that day for SB, but SB didn't notify me about waitlist status until like jan/feb.By then, I already made my decision.

You get calls that day for SB, but SB didn't notify me about waitlist status until like jan/feb.By then, I already made my decision.
Do you mind sharing your stats and residency when you applied to stony brook and also, was it a pre December interview? Thanks

Do you mind sharing your stats and residency when you applied to stony brook and also, was it a pre December interview? Thanks

3.5/3.5
20/21 and nothing below 19

pre dec. NY resident.

3.5/3.5
20/21 and nothing below 19

pre dec. NY resident.

I had two interviews, and one wasn't positive, so don't use me as a reference lol.

I had two interviews, and one wasn't positive, so don't use me as a reference lol.
Hey sorry to be a bother. I'm just anxious. But could you please explain what happened that you felt one of your interviews wasn't positive?

Hey sorry to be a bother. I'm just anxious. But could you please explain what happened that you felt one of your interviews wasn't positive?

One of my interviews were great. Administration crew was fantastic, one of my favorite teams out of all my interviews. But one of my interviewers questioned why I was working part time instead of full time, and why I wasn't helping out my grandparents more financially. Never mind the fact that most employers were downsizing a bit during my cycle and how most of the time you weren't considered full time so you wouldn't get full benefits. She came off a bit strong regarding that and brought it up more than once. I kept my cool, but obviously I wasn't going to look favorable in her eyes. Sometimes you just don't click with people. I had ten interviews I think, so I was lucky that I was even able to maintain that one job.

Again, other interviewer was fantastic, and I really liked the administration, more so than most schools I visited back then. Great program, good team. I just had one "bad" moment.

Last edited:
One of my interviews were great. Administration crew was fantastic, one of my favorite teams out of all my interviews. But one of my interviewers questioned why I was working part time instead of full time, and why I wasn't helping out my grandparents more financially. Never mind the fact that most employers were downsizing a bit during my cycle and how most of the time you weren't considered full time so you wouldn't get full benefits. She came off a bit strong regarding that and brought it up more than once. I kept my cool, but obviously I wasn't going to look favorable in her eyes. Sometimes you just don't click with people. I had ten interviews I think, so I was lucky that I was even able to maintain that one job.

Again, other interviewer was fantastic, and I really liked the administration, more so than most schools I visited back then. Great program, good team. I just had one "bad" moment.
Why 2 interviews?

Why 2 interviews?

Some schools have one faculty that interview you, some have two, some even have two at the same time.

Stony Brook had two faculty interviews and a student interview.

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at Nyu pre December and found out dec 1st I was accepted , didn't interview at stony so I can't comment on that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I wonder if you can give us some insight about your dat scores and gpa that got you accepted at NYU and also at Columbia. Congratulations :)

I wonder if you can give us some insight about your dat scores and gpa that got you accepted at NYU and also at Columbia. Congratulations :)

He's got a 21 aa 23 ts 3.5-3.6 sgpa/ogpa I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
As our President-Elect would say, "WRONG".

I didn't get the email from NYU until nearly 6PM.

Several people in the NYU thread have gotten it early morning.

Several people in the NYU thread have gotten it early morning.
I remember checking that group obsessively and the great majority of people waiting on NYU didn't get it until the evening.

It's a stressful day but once you're in, it's all immediately forgotten. Good luck Thursday!

I remember checking that group obsessively and the great majority of people waiting on NYU didn't get it until the evening.

It's a stressful day but once you're in, it's all immediately forgotten. Good luck Thursday!

I've read the interview threads for the past 5 years on NYU so I am probably mixing things up on which year specifically. I could've sworn I saw someone posting about getting theirs at 8 am somewhere.

Thanks!, we will all need it.

Apparently NYU had server failures last year, so their emails didn't go out until like 4PM.

Apparently NYU experienced server failures last year, so their emails didn't go out until like 4PM.

Apparently NYU experienced server failures last year, so their emails didn't go out until like 4PM.

Apparently NYU had server failures last year, so their emails didn't go out until like 4PM.

a22da701da96f4869d3bcf4318830d41a25e494ad8ebb969e689536cea7bb3c0.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

Sorry, I'm confused. What happened to NYU's servers last year, and when did their e-mails go out?

Reactions: 4 users