Stony Brook Class of 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, what's up folks, who's going to Stonybrook, where are you from, and what's your plan for housing?

Any thoughts on more about the school I'd like to know too.

Members don't see this ad.

As of right now it looks like I'm gonna be at Stony Brook next year. I'm not 100% positive, and I'm still waiting to hear from some other schools, but there's a good chance I'll be there. :)

I'm not sure what I'm doing about housing yet. I'm from Long Island so I figure after graduation in May I'll go home and start to look for housing. I'm not too familiar with the Stony Brook area though so I'm not sure where to start. I'll probably call SB to collect more info soon.

I'm in at Stony Brook, too, and there's a good chance I'll be going, but I'm not sure yet. I haven't even begun to think about housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where i can find residency matches for stony?

That's the only school I got in that I can't seem to find matches for! I hope that doesn't mean they're bad...

We got the matchlist at second look day. If you call the admissions office they'd probably send it to you.

Not 100% sure yet, but I might be going to Stony Brook (may be deferring).

I might be going to Stony Brook too; however, I'm out-of-state and the tuition might make me rethink. How do you become in-state??

I think that after one year, you can establish residency in NY (unlike many other states, i.e., PA, MI). But you should call the financial aid office and make sure.

To those who got acceptances to stony brook, could you please post your stats? Thanx

Originally posted by drakkan2001
To those who got acceptances to stony brook, could you please post your stats? Thanx

I was accepted but won't be attending. You can see my stats in my MDapplicants profile.

Does anybody know anything about the clinical training at Stony Brook?

I'm going to Stony Brook in the Fall, CyberMc. The clinical training at Stony Brook is pretty good. The hospital is very big, and they do most of their training in the hospital, but for certain rotations you have to travel to other hospitals or private practices (e.g. general medicine).

Bump.

I just revisited Stony Brook, took me 50 min to get to there from Manhatten at noon on a Friday. Toured around the area, and school again. Students are all happy and Port Jeff looked like a fun place to live.

keep it going!

Bump. Went and visited stony brook again this weekend, looks great. The students I talked to were very enthusiastic. It isn't as rural as I thought it was, Port Jefferson seems like a fun place to live.

Keep it up.

Hey all,

Excited to say that I'll be at Stonybrook next year. I got in touch with the off campus housing services, who directed me to their website, http://och.vpsa.sunysb.edu. They said they help coordinate the search for housing, but not roomates, so I guess that's up to us. I'll be out of the country for a few months before classes start, though, so I'm not sure how best to meet up with people.

Anyone know about the area surrounding Stonybrook, and how far is too far away (assuming access to a car)? I also hear Port Jeff is a solid choice.

sagoldma,

I'm from St. James, which is 10 minutes from Stony Brook. The areas surrounding Stony Brook are St. James, Nesconset, and Port Jeff, all of which are nice places to live and at most like 15-20 minutes from the school, depending on traffic in the morning. There might be other towns surrounding Stony Brook that I'm forgetting, though. I believe there are houses literally surrounding the campus that you might be able to get, so you might also want to look into that. Unfortunately, the cost of living on the Island is very expensive, and you're looking at spending $10,000-$15,000, though. Good luck.

---------------any more thoughts? Any more of you people want to join in?

Hi everyone,
I'm going to Stony Brook next year (unless I get off of a wait list somewhere else...but I may still choose Stony Brook...and whoever on this list has questioned the strength of the residency match list...huh? I think Stony Brook students do VERY well with the match).

But anyhoo...I will be moving to the area and looking for a rooommate (or several roommates) so I hope we all stay in touch on this thread! I do think that there is a day in June when the school has all students come out so that we can find roommates...though I haven't received anything in mail about it yet.

good luck to everyone!