Stony Brook University Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone remember anything about a one-time $10,000 allowance to buy a new car in our financial aid package?... I think I remember when I went for my interview them saying that they will allow us to take out an additional ten grand in student loans to purchase a car as part of the FinAid package but I didn't see anything about it on the website.

I thought it was 5 grand, but call the financial aid office to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, does anyone here live in the stony brook area right now? I have verizon but i'm looking to change my wireless carrier and Im wondering which company has the best service out there.

I have ATT and it blows.

Members don't see this ad :)
sup everyone.... revisit day was really cool. What i experienced will def help me make a decision.

In case you didnt know, preorientation is on June 12 and more details will soon be emailed to all accepted students.

Also, i know someone asked about a car loan on this thread, and not sure if it was th esame person @ revisit, but here is the answer: the loan is $8500, not $10,000 (correct me if im wrong).

If you have not already, join the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?sid=41eefddf82b54a3f7e6de5c2cd5a8074&gid=50125827307&ref=search

what's going on with stony's financial aid page? it's been down for a month. i'm starting to get worried that i may be missing some deadline.

not sure about that. the financial aid director @revisit said we wont be getting financial aid packages until june and that all we can do for now is fill out the FAFSA and insitituional forms. so im not sure there are deadlines approaching

what's going on with stony's financial aid page? it's been down for a month. i'm starting to get worried that i may be missing some deadline.

I know that this will probably make me seem like I have too much time on my hands, but I found out a way to access the FinAid page: You go to the Stony Brook SOM admissions page and click on the "Financial information" paragraph header. Than when the page starts to come up, hit stop on your browser. For some reason, the FinAid page will automatically redirect you to a "we're updating the website" page; but if you hit stop before it has a chance to redirect you, you will be able to navigate the FinAid page. Hope this helps.

In terms of deadlines, you should definately do FAFSA as soon as you can... also you should fill out your institutional FinAid application and get it back to them. Aside from those two things, I don't think there is much we can do yet.

thanks jericho. i already filled out my fafsa so i'll go ahead and send them the institutional form.

i wonder why they make us wait until june, which is well after the may 15th decision deadline. since other schools make financial packages much earlier, aren't they worried that they'll lose students to other schools?

I was just on the SB class of 2012 thread, and this seems to have worked as an ice breaker. Post away people!

Undergrad: Stony Brook Univ.
Interests in medicine: surgery, medicine
Interests outside of medicine: squash and racquetball, eating and sleeping, being at peace with myself and the world,
Favorite book: Life of Pi
Favorite movies: any action thriller with lots of fighting and explosions, e.g. Die Hard 4
TV Shows: life, heroes, house, avatar, I don't watch scrubs often enough but that show pretty damn funny, NBA playoffs (yes, this counts as a "TV show")

hey have u joined the facebok group?
i might've already filled this out but here it goes again:

Undergrad: University of Miami (FL)
Interests in medicine: endocrinology
Interests outside of medicine: racquetball, movies, smash bros., happy hour
Favorite book:harry potter
Favorite movies: ummm too many right now, the dark knight
TV Shows: house, 24, lost

Hey everyone, in case you were wondering about when the white coat ceremony is I emailed nancy and she said it will be on Sunday, October 18. She said the dean wont be there until this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, in case you were wondering about when the white coat ceremony is I emailed nancy and she said it will be on Sunday, October 18. She said the dean wont be there until this time.

oh cool...thanks...that seems quite late...almost half way through the semester

i just realized the whole "tell me your favorite tv show, movie, music" thing was already done this year back on page 1

lol

Hi and congratulations to all those accepted!!

I'm a rising 3rd year living with 2 other 3rd year-to-bes, and we have 1 room available in our house, which is a 1 minute drive to school, in Stony Brook. We're (quiet, easygoing, studious) girls looking for 1 new person, preferrably female to move in with us.
We are looking to sign a lease starting August 1. Rent= $625 + 1/4 utilities. Please PM me if interested. Thanks.
:oops:

i just received preorientation info. i can't decide whether to live in apt or house. i am definitely going to get roommates but could any current SB student give me pro/cons of living in a house and apt? Thanks!

i just received preorientation info. i can't decide whether to live in apt or house. i am definitely going to get roommates but could any current SB student give me pro/cons of living in a house and apt? Thanks!

i'd like to know the answer to this too! thanks!

i'm a current MS1. i think that houses are generally cheaper (600-ish a month) and bigger, so you are living with more people. apartments are generally more expensive (700-800 depending on where and with how many people). however, if you live in an apartment, you don't have the same responsibilities for maintenance, mowing your lawn, shoveling snow, etc. the amenities offered by apartment complexes will vary--some have pools, gyms, etc. i think that the majority of my classmates live in houses...

So I can log into SOLAR, and I can create/access my NetID and NetPassword, but I can't create an e-mail account or anything. What gives? Is it just too early?

last year the med school IT people sent us all the information about our SB e-mail account (the e-mail address itself and password) during the first week of august...

Hi everyone! Just got off the waitlist on tuesday and I'm super excited! Unfortunately I couldn't go to the pre-orientation today. How was it? Anything exciting happen!? See you all in August!

Hi everyone!

Congrats on getting into SBMed...We're looking forward to meeting all of you in August:)

We are two rising second years who are looking for a roommate, preferably female, to take the master bedroom suite in a three bedroom apartment. We live in the Fairfield Gables at South Setauket, a townhouse apartment complex, located at the intersection of Belle Meade Road and Route 347. You can find out more here: http://www.fairfieldproperties.com/home.html.

The room:
-has its own bathroom.
-is really big (in fact two people currently live in it!)
-has a huge walk-in closet.

The apartment has:
-its own washer and dryer.
-its own garage.
-a dishwasher.
-central air.

The apartment complex:
-is 7 minutes from the HSC.
-has its own gym (which we both use frequently).
-has an outdoor pool.
-has plenty of parking.
-shovels snow in the winter and does all other maintenance work.

Rent: $885 (negotiable), plus utilities. Move-in for August 1st.

Let us know if you are interested!

-Sarah and Caroline
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hi guys

Very excited I got in:D

Do any of you know how supportive the students are or are they very competitive

I love Stony brook and what is there grading system p/f or high pass crapshoot

Love Avatar watching it right now

Dont students dorm the 1st year? I do not drive so I need something the school

Any advice will be appreciated

thanks

Does anyone know of a cheap storage facility near campus? I just need a place to keep my bed for <2 months.

Did everyone who got accepted did all of you have to write a letter stating you will enroll? in addition to 100 deposit, technical form, citizen form

if so what do you write and how long does it have to be?

Is anyone signing up for teh Biochem class? is it free or how much is it?

JUST GOT ACCEPTED OF THE WAITLIST!!

so after lots of drama (long distance relationship it is...)

I have decided to definitely attend STONY BROOK! I got such a great feel from the interview, hope our class lives up to my expectations.... anyway, WASUP to all my future classmates!

So just a little bio on myself (since everyone seems to be posting and getting friendly):

I am 22, grew up in queens, went to school at U Mich. then took a year off as a research assistant at Northshore-LIJ.

I love water sports (rowing, dragonboating, swimming)

I plan to live in a fully furnished apartment complex for the first year (I heard Port. Jefferson was nice) anyone know some good places to start? I already have a car, so I was thinking of driving up this weekend to take a look.

CANNOT WAIT TO START SCHOOL!!! Congratulations all!:D:);):p:eek::confused::D:):D

just found this thread, can't wait to start and see everyone again at orientation!

congrats magikdoc!!!

port jeff village is really nice, but on the expensive side as far as housing goes, port jeff station is cheaper. If you didn't already get it, I'm sure Nancy will be sending you a packet full of housing info that'll help you out. There's a facebook group for our class too, MSII/III's already started posting available rooms in the houses they're currently renting. Good luck with the search!

dude congrats magikdoc!

i'm also looking for a chill place in Port Jeff, it'd be nice to live near the beach again (i'm from southern california). i'm currently traveling, but will return on the 6th. i'm down to meet up and check out some places if anyone is down.

i spose i'll put out some bio too:

i'm 23, male, went to UC Irvine, in Orange County California, and have lived in CA most of my life. I currently live in Long Island, moved here a little while ago. I'm clean, nonsmoker, and if anyone out here is looking for a roommate to jam with once in a while i'm down, i play guitar, vocals and some other string instruments, though i might be a bit rusty by now.

i'm excited to me everyone soon (and get back to some good old civilization)!

advertised room has been taken.

Last edited:
The Financial Aid office said that we could get a loan for up to $2500 for a computer. Does anyone know if this can be offered through grad plus or if we need to take out a private loan? Ms. Alen isn't in the Fin Aid office this week, otherwise I would have asked her.

The Financial Aid office said that we could get a loan for up to $2500 for a computer. Does anyone know if this can be offered through grad plus or if we need to take out a private loan? Ms. Alen isn't in the Fin Aid office this week, otherwise I would have asked her.

i believe car loans (8500) and computer loans are private (car deff is) computer sounds like grad plus which is the extra 2500 you can get and pay 8.5% interest on, that is not private. but the loans are so different now! ask mary jean allen when start orientation, which should be an awesome week.

MSIII

I have a whole house for rent in Centerach, less than 10 mins to Stony Brook University / Hospital ( 3.1 miles ) email me for info... [email protected]
3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, living, dining, laundry ( washer / dryer )

available immediately !