Stony Brook University Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i just got this e-mail from SB SOM.

"We currently have 3850 applicants...
We are on rolling admissions, and we do have a waitlist...."

Do you guys know how many seats are still open?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I just got this in my inbox today. It is a packet given out during career week that contains residency match information for Stony Brook.

Page 10 has the match trends for 1996-2008.

Pages 11-18 has specific match information for students from 2006-2008 (location site, program, step scores, whether an elective was taken at the site by the student, etc.)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=19JS53KY

Same drill, click on the link, close whatever ads come up (or if the page goes directly to an ad, close and reclick on the link), type in the antispam code, wait 45 seconds, a download button appears (not the "Premium Download" button, but another button to the right of it will appear that says "Free Download"), click on it to download.

Enjoy.

thanks! this looks really dense and i'm sure it has tons of great info. at first glance though i noticed that it has the step 1 and step 2 scores of those who matched and whether they did an elective there which is awesome information!

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with all above. But...first years are eager and want to get their books! Just hold off on that. i barely bought a book first year bc my big sib gave me almost everything i needed.

They did up the class size last year but it wont be increasing until the budge cut is lifted. The waitlist moves considerably.

Don't worry about social life--you have designated social chairs. By the time a party is planned you'll be dying for one.

First year at stony brook is a good transition. It's not the mythical nightmare you've heard about. Second year megas are intense..but you get used to them...after you take 15+ exams in a year. Such is med school..

stony brook is isolated. But its long island. Within five minutes you have stop and shops, wal marts, movie theaters, nice restaurants, down port (great in the summer). But still quite enough to study.

PM with your questions.

Are you saying that if I'm on the waitlist right now, theres a good chance to get in?

Are you saying that if I'm on the waitlist right now, theres a good chance to get in?

no way to really know. if you're at the top of the waitlist, then yes, you have a good chance with considerable movement. if you're at the bottom, then obviously the chances are less. from what i've heard and read, stony brook does not let people know where they stand on the waitlist, so there's no way to really know, unfortunately. good luck to you though.

no way to really know. if you're at the top of the waitlist, then yes, you have a good chance with considerable movement. if you're at the bottom, then obviously the chances are less. from what i've heard and read, stony brook does not let people know where they stand on the waitlist, so there's no way to really know, unfortunately. good luck to you though.

I don't quite understand the point of not letting people know where they stand on the waitlist. I mean, you're not going to lose anybody who would have gotten in either way, so why not just let people know how high they are on the list to help them with their decision making.

I got an acceptance from Upstate and Downstate, so I have little pressure, but I would like to know my chances at SB. Thanks!

Hey guys,
Finally got an SDN account... had to be (more or less) sure that I am going to SBU before I started posting.

Favorite TV shows: The Office, Scrubs, Battlestar Galactica, Lost

Favorite Movies: 40 Yr Old Virgin, The Dark Knight, LOTR Trilogy, Gladiator, Last Samurai, One last thing

Favorite Video Games: Starcraft Broodwar!!!!! (I get pwned by Koreans), WoW (retired after it nearly destroyed my life), EQ (retired- see above reason), SSB

Favorite Music: anything really. Right now, I'm listening to a lot of Lil Wayne, Joshua Radin, Jason Mraz

Favorite Sports/Teams: I like to play Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse, Ping Pong, and football.

Favorite Books: Catcher in the Rye, Snow Crash, The Republic, umm.. I tend to forget about books I read a long time ago, but there were more.

Hey guys,

Favorite Video Games: Starcraft Broodwar!!!!! (I get pwned by Koreans), \

oh yeah!!! i used to be addicted to starcraft (and i play every now and then).... i agree with you on that one though, those koreans can really play. i remember when i first started they used to rush me all the time and destroy me within seconds of game start.... those were the days
btw welcome to sdn.... let me tell u, sdn can potentially also ruin your life

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's why I was initially reluctant about signing up. However, with my temporary job ending soon, I just want to meet my fellow classmates.

BTW, are you guys all thinking of offcampus housing? I just got a packet regarding housing provided by SBU.

Also, who's going to the event in late April and the subsequent preorientation in June?

Yeah, that's why I was initially reluctant about signing up. However, with my temporary job ending soon, I just want to meet my fellow classmates.

BTW, are you guys all thinking of offcampus housing? I just got a packet regarding housing provided by SBU.

Also, who's going to the event in late April and the subsequent preorientation in June?

if i decide to attend SB, i will def live off campus, cause word on the street is that living on campus is not so comfortable. I will probably not be able to attend revisit because i go to miami for undergrad and would not afford to buy plane ticket home since i used most of my money on plane tickets for other interviews.
I will def go to preorientation if i attend. what bout u?

I actually live pretty close to Long Island, so I'll do my best to make it. Then again, I am going to travel around asia for a while, so I might miss the pre-orientation. Where is everyone from?

Hey guys,
Finally got an SDN account... had to be (more or less) sure that I am going to SBU before I started posting.

Favorite TV shows: The Office, Scrubs, Battlestar Galactica, Lost

Favorite Movies: 40 Yr Old Virgin, The Dark Knight, LOTR Trilogy, Gladiator, Last Samurai, One last thing

Favorite Video Games: Starcraft Broodwar!!!!! (I get pwned by Koreans), WoW (retired after it nearly destroyed my life), EQ (retired- see above reason), SSB

Favorite Music: anything really. Right now, I'm listening to a lot of Lil Wayne, Joshua Radin, Jason Mraz

Favorite Sports/Teams: I like to play Ultimate Frisbee, Lacrosse, Ping Pong, and football.

Favorite Books: Catcher in the Rye, Snow Crash, The Republic, umm.. I tend to forget about books I read a long time ago, but there were more.

Hilarious... but i pwnd koreans in SC, and EQ is the most addictive substance on earth.

I believe proper l337speak grammar would have it as "pwnt" or "pwned" or even 2001's "owned". There is no "pwnd".

GTFO n00b.

I believe proper l337speak grammar would have it as "pwnt" or "pwned" or even 2001's "owned". There is no "pwnd".

GTFO n00b.

lol lets not get started with gamer talk ppl may realize just how gay MMOGs really are

Jarmen we should play when we both get to SBU. Teach me the skills necessary for survival against koreans haha

For the current SB students, does SB offer disadvantaged scholarships like Downstate's? What about merit-based scholarships and if so, when will the accepted notified? I appreciate any insight! Thank you!!

Last edited:
For the current SB students, does SB offer disadvantaged scholarships like Downstate's? What about merit-based scholarships and if so, when will the accepted notified? I appreciate any insight! Thank you!!

there is a Turner Scholarship offered but unfortunately they already chose the recipients....im not sure about other scholarships though

So is on campus housing cheaper than off campus? I didn't really like the prices of the apartments off campus...Is any one else staying in the dorms?

So is on campus housing cheaper than off campus? I didn't really like the prices of the apartments off campus...Is any one else staying in the dorms?

I haven't received anything from SB yet regarding on-campus housing, but from what I've read on their housing website and heard from current medical students through these boards, it doesn't seem like living on campus is worth it. The housing doesn't seem very nice and is pretty expensive. I will definitely be living off-campus and have started doing a little searching via craigslist and other sites, although I don't anticipate making any decisions until after meeting other students at pre-orientation.

hey everyone and congrats for getting accepted! Did anyone here interview on Jan 13 with me? I got accepted end of Jan and am pretty sure I'll be attending in the fall. Is anyone going to the SNMA dinner welcome dinner on march 7 in manhattan?

hey everyone and congrats for getting accepted! Did anyone here interview on Jan 13 with me? I got accepted end of Jan and am pretty sure I'll be attending in the fall. Is anyone going to the SNMA dinner welcome dinner on march 7 in manhattan?

wow what is this? is it free?:laugh:

Was there an email about that? I only got the email about the 2/25 event for SNMA.

wtf is SNMA?? i feel so out of the loop here

I wasn't sure what it was either, so I googled it. It's the Student National Medical Association, a student organization focusing on the needs and concerns of medical students of color. Below is the link.

http://www.snma.org/

yea SNMA is for minority students. The host i stayed with before my interview is part of it and it seemed like a pretty active group. I think its free but you would have had to get an e-mail I'm assuming. Dreamdoc im sure if you email nancy you could still go if you wanted to.

yeh i got the email and i am going to the dinner. im actually bringing my gf too. but whoever is going I hope to see u there this saturday.

i wont be able to attend the dinner since i live in miami so it would be costly and i cant fly this weekend anyways. have fun guys!

OK I just called the financial aid office. The lady told me NOT to fill out the institutional application forms yet since it's from last year. She says the admissions office will forward accepted students' names to her and she'll send out a financial aid packet to us. Before that we don't have to do anything. :thumbup:

just a reminder to all you out of staters, try to get all of your residency things switched as soon as u get here....license, car registration/title, insurance, etc. you'll need a year of residence here before u can switch to instate so keep that in mind when you're finding your housing.

any other admit questions, feel free to ask.

I haven't received anything from SB yet regarding on-campus housing, but from what I've read on their housing website and heard from current medical students through these boards, it doesn't seem like living on campus is worth it. The housing doesn't seem very nice and is pretty expensive. I will definitely be living off-campus and have started doing a little searching via craigslist and other sites, although I don't anticipate making any decisions until after meeting other students at pre-orientation.

unless you don't have a car or are on a very tight budget, i wouldn't live on campus. yes its across the street and is actually decently priced but the housing quality sucks, and there's no guarantee that you'll be with other med students. 95 percent of our class lived off-campus, with most ppl living with 2-4 other med students in a house. pre-orientation is a good idea for meeting housemates, others did it through their classes' facebook group. there are many good housing deals around the area, all within a 5-15 minute drive of the campus.

you will def need a car here.

you have a pretty good chance due to the healthy movement on the list; one thing that can't hurt-especially if you have other acceptances- is to write them a letter re-affirming your interest in the school and (if this applies) letting them know that you'd drop the other spots to come to stony brook. they were letting in ppl up through august in my class, so don't despair.

gna be withdrawing by the end of the weekend so I hope someone gets my spot. good luck guys

anyone else get the financial aid forms yet? i had a couple questions that i thought i'd field here before i email the office....for the record though its not THAT big of a deal for me to get this institutional app completely right because i'm pretty certain i won't be getting anything in way of institutional aid....

what do i write for "monthly rent or mortgage payment"...i have no idea what my rent will be, should i just use their estimate from the COA sheet?

"anticipated specialty"....ummm what?? that's odd.

for the questions about car make/model/year, value, insurance premium...i plan on buying a car but i dont have one as of yet and have no clue what to put down for these

I'm thinking about buying AIG and Citibank now... maybe then i won't have to worry about financial aid... :D

hey all..i see a lot of questions about housing...

best bet: wait till june pre-orientation (youll get a letter inviting you). Grace puts together a housing list and a whole packet of current local ads that advertise, sometimes exclusively, to medical students. Craigs list is good, but still too early to really find a place. I suggest just waiting a bit. Plus you will definately find roommates at the event.

You can chose to live on campus, some do. BUt many have roommates (like, sharing a room kinda roommate). Living off campus is ideal if you have a car and are willing to spend a day or two during the summer of looking. My house has an inground pool and its awesome...and my rent is sickly cheap.

So wait till pre-orientation. Even if you cant make it, Grace will send you the packet she hands out.

MSII

I'm not a SB student, but I visit there frequently to see my boyfriend. Just my two bits about the housing on campus...

PROS
Graduate student housing is across the street from your lectures.
It's considerably cheaper if you're living in a 6 person suite than living elsewhere in the area.
There is also parking available for you.

Cons
Spiders, moths, and other random infestations are rampant

If you're living in a 6 person suite, realize there are only 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and you WILL be living with someone directly in your bedroom. I personally think that was too undergrad for me, especially b/c as med students you expect a higher level of privacy or something.

Health and safety inspections are so bogus and they will try to nab you on everything, and their rules are stricter / more pointless than real housing inspections. Example, free weights in the living room counted as a violation, and the whole house has to attend a meeting to fight it. If you have three strikes, you get evicted.

Your mattress will be the most uncomfortable thing ever. It is a twin. It is thin and moldy, and on an iron bedframe that looks like it's out of the medieval ages and last used to torture some peasant. Yet the springs will slump in the middle like your aunt's 80-year-old couch.

If you're living in a 6-person suite, chances are, you'll never talk to your other 4 roommates. They rotate in and out constantly. And they leave their food in the fridge. And it stays there because nobody knows what belongs to who else. On a cleaning spree one time, I had to throw out eggs from literally 2 years ago.

In short, I suggest finding housing elsewhere if you can afford it. If you can't, I suggest you forward your mail elsewhere. The mailroom will swallow your mail for months and then jam your mailbox full of letters from last year or some other residents' stuff.

congrats to all the fourth years who matched! any word on how it went? anyone have access to the match list in a form that can easily be posted on here? i'm definitely attending this fall but just wanted to take a look out of curiosity. Any personal stories from fourth years or about fourth years would also be greatly appreciated.

yes, seeing the match list from this year's class would be cool, i don't know why stony brook doesn't just publish it online (maybe it's there and I just haven't found it)

i'll be starting med school at stony brook in the fall, so hopefully i'll be seeing you guys soon (2nd look day, pre-orientation)

i don't know about any of you, but i'm tired of waiting for med school to start!

i have to say, i started reading this thread about a week ago

and once i got to the end (in like 10 minutes), I just waited for people to continue to post

then i realized, people don't make posts that often here, one every 3 days... maybe people haven't decided where their going yet, i suppose it's understandable... or maybe people don't live on SDN

i just hope the class of 2013 isn't as dead as this thread, that would suck

just out of curiosity, anyone still in undergrad this semester? or did anyone do the one or two year community service gig so med schools like me thing?

Hi...I'm Daniel, a 4th year.

We just Matched, and you guys are coming to a place where (with the right steps while in school) you guys can do anything!

One classmate is going to UCSF Plastic Surgery (integrated), one to Cornell Dermatology, 12 students total into radiology, 4 of 4 into ortho, 3 of 3 that applied for optho matched, 4 of 4 that applied to urology matched...

Good luck and congrats to those that are accepted already, and I urge you to very strongly consider SB if you're still deciding...great training for a great cost...

dc

i have to say, i started reading this thread about a week ago

and once i got to the end (in like 10 minutes), I just waited for people to continue to post

then i realized, people don't make posts that often here, one every 3 days... maybe people haven't decided where their going yet, i suppose it's understandable... or maybe people don't live on SDN

i just hope the class of 2013 isn't as dead as this thread, that would suck

this thread has about the same number of, if not more, posts than most of the other official class threads. posting every three days seems to be the norm. i wouldn't jump to conclusions that the class of 2013 would be "dead." from all of the previous posts in this thread, i'm actually excited to meet my future classmates.

as to your other post, i've been out of school for almost two years (graduated in '07). i haven't been doing the community service thing, but rather clinical research for that time. i figured i'd get some research under my belt, a few publications, make some money, and get a little "real world" experience before diving into medical school.