You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Program-Specific Info / Q's Stony Brook University OT Class of 2017
Started by OTlove13
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Aside from responding to the acceptance and paying the deposit on SOLAR, the only thing I've heard from Cathy Gropper is to keep checking the orientation page for updates regarding this summer.Very excited! Besides sending in our deposit does anyone know what are next step is? Like when do we officially accept our position? When do we register for classes I haven't heard much since.
http://healthtechnology.stonybrookmedicine.edu/students/incoming/orientation
I believe our orientation date is June 23rd. She also suggested to submit the clinical health form as soon as possible just to get it out of the way.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations on your acceptance!
Would you mind sharing the format of the interview and some of the questions?
Would you mind sharing the format of the interview and some of the questions?
Thank you! I'm not sure if I could speak for all of the interview sessions, but on the day of my interview, it was three faculty members to one applicant. Honestly, the atmosphere was very relaxed and I feel like I had more of conversation with the OT faculty as opposed to being drilled with questions about why I want to be an OT, haha. They asked a number of questions that reflected on my volunteer experience and how it's shaped me as a person and how I can apply it to a career in OT. Do you have your interview soon?Congratulations on your acceptance!
Would you mind sharing the format of the interview and some of the questions?
I do! I have an interview in late March. I'm very nervous for it! Ah! Would you mind sharing your stats? SBU is more competitive to get into because it offers a quality education and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm wondering if I'm a competitive applicant compared to others and if I have a shot of getting into the program at SBU.
So sorry for replying back to you so late!!! When I finished my Bachelor's degree my cumulative GPA was somewhere around 3.1-3.2; pre-req GPA was around 3.5-3.7. Being that my undergraduate GPA didn't stand out in comparison to other applicants I made sure I did well in science pre-reqs. I also took the GRE (not needed for Stony Brook for this year, although may be necessary for 2015 applicants from their website), had 500+ hours in various observation settings, and worked as a rehab aide for 2 years. I really feel like the interview is your time to shine and talk about how your experiences motivated you to pursue a career in OT. Did you have your interview yet? I hope it went well! If you didn't have it yet best of luck to you!!!I do! I have an interview in late March. I'm very nervous for it! Ah! Would you mind sharing your stats? SBU is more competitive to get into because it offers a quality education and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm wondering if I'm a competitive applicant compared to others and if I have a shot of getting into the program at SBU.
Hey there!Very excited! Besides sending in our deposit does anyone know what are next step is? Like when do we officially accept our position? When do we register for classes I haven't heard much since.
I thought I'd share some information I heard from Cathy. The other day I was clicking through SOLAR and found that I was assigned an enrollment date, so I asked Cathy when we'd find out about which classes to register for. She said that an enrollment chart should be e-mailed out to all accepted students so far like next month. So keep an eye out!
Thank you for replying OTlove13! I haven't had my interview yet. It's coming up this weekend eeek! Do you feel like Stony Brook puts more emphasis on academics than personal experience/ the interview? I have higher stats, but I'm trying to gauge how important grades are for Stony Brook admissions. I think SBU is an amazing school and the OT program is reputable. I am concerned I won't shine on the interview because I've only observed around 150 hours mostly in pediatrics. I hope I do well on interview day!
I'm sure academics plays a major role in the acceptance decision as Stony Brook is well known for their health sciences school. But I think they're also looking for well-rounded students. I felt like the interview was an outlet for the faculty to really meet the applicants, see why we're so passionate about OT, and where we see ourselves as future therapists. So even though you've mostly observed pediatrics, go in there and let the interviewers know how your experiences influenced you to choose a career in OT. I hope you rock your interview!! Good luck and positive vibes!! 🙂Thank you for replying OTlove13! I haven't had my interview yet. It's coming up this weekend eeek! Do you feel like Stony Brook puts more emphasis on academics than personal experience/ the interview? I have higher stats, but I'm trying to gauge how important grades are for Stony Brook admissions. I think SBU is an amazing school and the OT program is reputable. I am concerned I won't shine on the interview because I've only observed around 150 hours mostly in pediatrics. I hope I do well on interview day!
Thank you so much OTlove13! 🙂 I'll try my best!
Hey OTlove13! I interviewed at SBU on 3/30 and I think it went alright. Although...I did notice that the interviewers didn't write down all of my responses. Is that something I should be worried about? How did you feel when you left your interview? I hope I get in! SBU is my primary choice and it's actually my only choice now because I was waitlisted at NYU. So sorry to ask more questions, but how long did the department take to inform you of their admissions decision? Did you receive a call, an email...
Hey! To be honest, I wasn't paying attention to see if they were writing anything down during the interview haha. But after my interview I felt great and confident about it. My interview group was told to expect a decision within 7-10 days and I think I received a phone call on like 10th day of waiting. How did you feel about your interview?Hey OTlove13! I interviewed at SBU on 3/30 and I think it went alright. Although...I did notice that the interviewers didn't write down all of my responses. Is that something I should be worried about? How did you feel when you left your interview? I hope I get in! SBU is my primary choice and it's actually my only choice now because I was waitlisted at NYU. So sorry to ask more questions, but how long did the department take to inform you of their admissions decision? Did you receive a call, an email...
Hi! I interviewed on 3/29 and just received a phone call yesterday afternoon saying I was accepted to the Southampton campus! I'm a little nervous because I've never been to that campus, but still super excited..has anyone else heard back yet?
Congrats Futureot55! That's great news! How did you feel after your interview? Were you able to answer every question they asked.
OTlove13- I felt like the interview went alright. I feel like I definitely communicated a passion for the profession and an interest to learn more, but I don't know if I articulated myself well with every question that was asked. Some questions stumped me a little...I hope I get in! I really want to go to Stony Brook.
OTlove13- I felt like the interview went alright. I feel like I definitely communicated a passion for the profession and an interest to learn more, but I don't know if I articulated myself well with every question that was asked. Some questions stumped me a little...I hope I get in! I really want to go to Stony Brook.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay!! That's so exciting, congrats!!! I haven't been to that campus either but I heard that it's really nice. Have you heard anything in regards to enrollment for the summer?Hi! I interviewed on 3/29 and just received a phone call yesterday afternoon saying I was accepted to the Southampton campus! I'm a little nervous because I've never been to that campus, but still super excited..has anyone else heard back yet?
PassionateOTstudent- thank you 🙂 I felt pretty good after my interview! I was definitely nervous but I tried my best to relate my experiences with OT for everything they asked. Hopefully you'll hear back soon!
OTlove13- thanks!! On the phone Cathy told me I'd be receiving an email over the next few days with further instructions for confirming my seat in the program. Not totally sure about registration or orientation though...
OTlove13- thanks!! On the phone Cathy told me I'd be receiving an email over the next few days with further instructions for confirming my seat in the program. Not totally sure about registration or orientation though...
I also received the call today about an acceptance to The Stony Brook campus! I'm so excited!! However I do have a question, I am not from New York so I will be moving there in June, any ideas on where to live?
Congrats!!! Are you planning to live on campus or off campus?I also received the call today about an acceptance to The Stony Brook campus! I'm so excited!! However I do have a question, I am not from New York so I will be moving there in June, any ideas on where to live?
Congrats!!! Are you planning to live on campus or off campus?
Thank you! And Either one! Whatever would be most affordable, I'm married so it would be me and my husband. Do they have married housing on campus?
Hmmm I'm really not too sure. On their website, they do mention the graduate apartments for health science studentsThank you! And Either one! Whatever would be most affordable, I'm married so it would be me and my husband. Do they have married housing on campus?
http://www.stonybrook.edu/hscstudents/ughousingstyles.shtml
Maybe try calling campus residences?
I actually ended up finding a place about 10-15 minutes away from Stony Brook through craigslist
Hmmm I'm really not too sure. On their website, they do mention the graduate apartments for health science students
http://www.stonybrook.edu/hscstudents/ughousingstyles.shtml
Maybe try calling campus residences?
I actually ended up finding a place about 10-15 minutes away from Stony Brook through craigslist
Thanks for the information! I will have to check that out. If they don't have much for married housing, I think I will probably try and do the same and see if I can find a place just outside of Stony Brook.
Congratulations OTRunner0930 and OT2735! Did you both have your interview on 3/29?
🙂 I was just wondering because I had my interview on 3/30...I was wondering if SBU got back to applicants who interviewed on 3/29 before those interviewed on 3/30. I haven't heard back yet. Eeeeek! Why do you feel that your interview didn't go well? Would you mind me asking you, but who interviewed you?
I just came out with a bad feeling compared to my other interviews which were much more conversational. Some of the questions were not what I was expecting and I felt like I rambled on a bit too much but I guess I must've done something right haha. I hope you hear back soon, good luck!
I just came out with a bad feeling compared to my other interviews which were much more conversational. Some of the questions were not what I was expecting and I felt like I rambled on a bit too much but I guess I must've done something right haha. I hope you hear back soon, good luck!
Ah! I feel like I rambled on too! I couldn't answer some of think of good answers to some of their questions :-/ I left feeling like it went alright, but I haven't heard back yet and it's making me feel worried... Can I ask...were your stats better than average? Did you have a lot of volunteer hours in various settings? I hope I hear back soon and that I am one of your classmates! I'm really counting on SBU!
Hey guys~!
I wish all your good luck !!
I'm considering to apply SBU OT next year.
Could you guys share the information about the interview? (Such as what were they asking during the interview?/ interview questions !!)
Good luck !!
The interview was about 15 minutes and there were multiple people interviewing me (3 to be exact) at once. The questions were thoughtful...that's all I can say...they really made me think...I can't remember the exact questions. Best of luck in the application process!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations OTRunner0930 and OT2735! Did you both have your interview on 3/29?
Thank you! And I interviewed on 3/30 at the 8:30 a.m. session. Good luck!
Last edited:
Hey guys~!
I wish all your good luck !!
I'm considering to apply SBU OT next year.
Could you guys share the information about the interview? (Such as what were they asking during the interview?/ interview questions !!)
Good luck !!
I thought the interview process was pretty relaxed, which was nice. We all waited in a room and one by one they would call us in to interview with 3 people (mine was a Professor at SBU, an alumni OT, and a 3rd year student.) they mainly asked questions about OT such as why OT over another profession, or how you would react in certain situations if you were an OT, ect. My advice would be to portray your passion about OT and to let your personality shine. While we were waiting to get interviewed they also had 1st year and 3rd year students come and talk to us, which was nice. If you have any questions feel free to message me, it wasn't too long ago I was wondering the same thing so I would love to help.
Found out I was placed on the alternate list. I'm still hoping to get in to the program even though it's a long shot...Does anyone know when the program begins? I know it's in June, but what is the exact date?
Not that I heard of, I was thinking about creating one though!Program starts June 23rd. Has anyone created a Facebook group for us yet?
Last edited:
Last edited:
Is anyone attending the southampton campus??? Or does anyone remember how many students SB said they were placing at the southampton campus? Getting a little nervous that I'm all alone!
The three faculty members that interviewed me said that with the new campus at southampton, they're going to admit an additional 15 students. But one of my questions for them was whether or not students were going to have classes at both campuses, and apparently we are. So then my next question was how far the southampton campus was from SBU hospital lol. And they said about 30-45 minutes, but they also mentioned that theres going to be a shuttle service between both campuses. I was actually looking at the classes for the summer on SOLAR and it looks like historical & cont. practices in OT is going to be at the southampton campus.Is anyone attending the southampton campus??? Or does anyone remember how many students SB said they were placing at the southampton campus? Getting a little nervous that I'm all alone!
Last edited:
The classes for summer and fall are already up on SOLAR, but last I spoke with Cathy Gropper she told me that she was going to e-mail out a registration chart and instructions on how to register for classes, I'm not sure when though. I'm assuming by the end of the month, I'm gonna send an e-mail to her asking if we should be expecting it soon.The class schedule is already on SOLAR?
Oh wow really?? Because on my acceptance letter and my phone call they specifically said I was accepted to the Southampton campus.... I assumed that there would be one group at southampton & one group at the main campus? Totally fine with going to both campuses though!
I mean that's how I interpreted the responses when I asked, haha. And just looking at some of the locations of the classes on SOLAR it looks like we will be between both campuses.Oh wow really?? Because on my acceptance letter and my phone call they specifically said I was accepted to the Southampton campus.... I assumed that there would be one group at southampton & one group at the main campus? Totally fine with going to both campuses though!
Gotcha, I just looked on SOLAR! Now that you say this, I remember Dr. Rodriguez saying at some point during my interview day that they were going to try to keep the two classes together for certain things so it makes sense.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there! I was accepted to the Southhampton campus so don't worry your not alone! I'm so excited! Did you receive an official acceptance letter in the mail? They notified me by phone 2 weeks ago and I confirmed my acceptance on SOLAR bit haven't received anything in the mail yet.Is anyone attending the southampton campus??? Or does anyone remember how many students SB said they were placing at the southampton campus? Getting a little nervous that I'm all alone!
Hi all. I am so glad to be joining you in June! I was accepted off the waitlist.
Would anyone be able to give me tips on searching for a room to rent? Also, would any OT students be interested in sharing an apartment? Please message me!
Would anyone be able to give me tips on searching for a room to rent? Also, would any OT students be interested in sharing an apartment? Please message me!
Yes, the orientation will be held the day before classes begin. I believe the orientation is on June 23rdDoes anyone know if there is an orientation day before classes begin?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 610
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 750
