Stony Brook vs BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMVpromoter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Boston University

Pros
  • Location; I think Boston is a more lively city compared to SB; more networking opportunities
  • Better name recognition
  • Better clinical training/more variety due to BMC
  • Pass/fail for preclinical years
Cons
  • More debt upon graduation (don't know the exact numbers yet)
Stony Brook

Pros

  • I loved the relaxed/close knit community feel during interview day
  • Lower debt upon graduation
Cons
  • BU's clinical training may be better
  • H/P/F may cause more competition/more stress during the preclinical years
  • Lower relative name recognition
Summary: I think both schools are great and I can't go wrong with either one, but I do prefer BU at this point. I just want to hear other people's opinions and make sure I'm considering everything.
 
Last edited:
I know several people who decided to go to BU and they really enjoy it there. Boston is a much better city to live in compared to SB (my friend is doing a PhD at SB, doesn't really enjoy the social scene but the community is pretty tight).

I would choose BU, unless it is significantly more expensive.

The name recognition of BU may also present you with more opportunities.