Stony Brook VS NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stony Brook VS NYMC for NY State Residents

• Stony Brook

Votes: 47 63.5%
  • NYMC

Votes: 27 36.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixnetny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: JUST TO UPDATE I was recently offered a scholarship making the cost different between the two schools much less important (roughly 5k/yr difference, NYMC on top)

Having a lot of trouble deciding which school to pick. SB is obviously cheaper and "ranks" higher, but what about comparing board scores and matching?

NYMC has a great match list- not actually sure how they do on the boards though? Anyone have an idea of the average USMLE step 1 and 2 for them?

Is this a no brainer? I am a NY-State Resident as well.

Please chime in!

Members don't see this ad.

Having a lot of trouble deciding which school to pick. SB is obviously cheaper and "ranks" higher, but what about comparing board scores and matching?

NYMC has a great match list- not actually sure how they do on the boards though? Anyone have an idea of the average USMLE step 1 and 2 for them?

Please chime in!

SB is better-regarded, but you're stuck on LI for four years. NYMC doesn't quite command the same reputation, especially in research, but you can be in Manhattan for the clinical years, which might be good if you're thinking of an NYC residency. But...I'd say the NYMC kids are more of a diverse crowd in every way, where many of the SB students have strong ties to LI.

So if the money outweighs the location, or you think you're going for something prestigious, pick SB. If you want Manhattan, are less picky about name as long as you get your MD, and can take the higher loans, go with NYMC.

SB is better-regarded, but you're stuck on LI for four years. NYMC doesn't quite command the same reputation, especially in research, but you can be in Manhattan for the clinical years, which might be good if you're thinking of an NYC residency. But...I'd say the NYMC kids are more of a diverse crowd in every way, where many of the SB students have strong ties to LI.

So if the money outweighs the location, or you think you're going for something prestigious, pick SB. If you want Manhattan, are less picky about name as long as you get your MD, and can take the higher loans, go with NYMC.
Thanks- I really am not overly concerned about "reputations" especially since it's not the difference between a top 20 school vs a top 50 school.

I heard that SB students (overall) have trouble taking the Step 1's - scoring at best the national average. NYMC tailors their classes toward the boards with MiniBoards and whatnot? Does this result in better Step 1's for NYMC? Does that in turn impact their matching?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks- I really am not overly concerned about "reputations" especially since it's not the difference between a top 20 school vs a top 50 school.

I heard that SB students (overall) have trouble taking the Step 1's - scoring at best the national average. NYMC tailors their classes toward the boards with MiniBoards and whatnot? Does this result in better Step 1's for NYMC? Does that in turn impact their matching?
No ..there is no significant difference in quality of matchlists between these schools.Its irrelevant ..dont put stock in rumours which have no practical impact-board perfomance is very individual and varies from year to year even within the same school.I agree with above post..if you really want to be in westchester/nyc and $$ is not a concern for you go to NYMC otherwise its SB hands down.

NYMC tailors their classes toward the boards with MiniBoards and whatnot? Does this result in better Step 1's for NYMC? Does that in turn impact their matching?
I have also heard that NYMC tailors their classes toward the boards, with the result that their students score quite well. Keep in mind that some people sort of "pooh pooh" intentional teaching to the test... but from a purely pragmatic point of view, it certainly doesn't seem like too bad of an idea.

OP, if you're truly concerned about how well you'll do on the boards- especially if you're the type of person who really appreciates being given a lot of support in the testing process- NYMC might make a fair amount of sense.

I'm sure Kochkine will have something to say in this thread...:)

to answer the question, i'm pretty sure average step 1 was 225 at NYMC. What's the price difference? I agree that step 1 is still based on personal performance and preparation, but I do also believe that the way a school teaches can help you be better prepared. What hospitals do you get to rotate at for Stonybrook? Do they match up to Westchester Med Center and St. Vincent's in NYC? Personally, if I get into UConn, I'm going to my state school since the price difference will be huge, although NYMC has by far the better location.

And then I'll be at NYMC, that's a plus :oops:

Is there a way to look up average board scores over time (ie. past 3-4 yrs)?

I heard from people at SB that the average Step 1 scores tend to be quite average (216 last year, 215 national average).

The price difference is roughly 20k/yr. SB tuition is rougly 18,800 and NYMC close to 40,000. Although this matters to me, it's certainly not a deal breaker. I've been in investing for 5 years now and I'm happy to make the investment in NYMC if it's worth it!

At SB you rotate through Long Island hospitals: Winthrop, Nassau County Hosp, Stony Brook Med. Center, and the VA in Nassau I believe. I know not that much about them, or how they compare to Weschester Medical Center and St. Vincents.

what do you think of each campus? compared to my ugrad at UConn, NYMC is a small campus, but the facilities are very nice, and quite focused on the medical school. Where would housing be at SB? I like that the first 2 years will be in dorms since I have never lived off campus/away from home, so i would rather not have to think about an apartment as i start med school, and i believe it makes the class very cohesive. Think back to ugrad, it's all ABCDF...did you feel that was competitive? I didn't, so I don't think NYMC's honors/high pass/pass/fail will actually be competitive. BUT at the same time forces you to work hard if you want to do really well.

I don't know those hospitals, but I just recently learned a bit about the NYMC hospitals from the class thread in allopathic, and they sound like they are very big and well-respected (just my impression!)

The price difference is roughly 20k/yr. SB tuition is rougly 18,800 and NYMC close to 40,000. Although this matters to me, it's certainly not a deal breaker. I've been in investing for 5 years now and I'm happy to make the investment in NYMC if it's worth it!

At SB you rotate through Long Island hospitals: Winthrop, Nassau County Hosp, Stony Brook Med. Center, and the VA in Nassau I believe. I know not that much about them, or how they compare to Weschester Medical Center and St. Vincents.

Since money is less of an object and you say prestige doesn't particularly matter, plus you're mildy (but not very) concerned about board scores...

I'd say you need to decide based on location and on the feel of the student body to you. You're from NY, so you probably have a good idea of what it's like to hang out in LI for four years. For me, that's almost a deal-breaker in and of itself. But I've visited both schools, and felt that the student bodies are pretty different. You should re-visit and wander around if you need to.

Other factors you may want to consider is that a) SB is much more supportive of research, with specific good programs for projects, and b) the student body is half the size of NYMC's. Small can be good or bad, depending on how you feel.

what do you think of each campus? compared to my ugrad at UConn, NYMC is a small campus, but the facilities are very nice, and quite focused on the medical school. Where would housing be at SB? I like that the first 2 years will be in dorms since I have never lived off campus/away from home, so i would rather not have to think about an apartment as i start med school, and i believe it makes the class very cohesive.

I should point out that a very small fraction of the class not only lives off-campus those first two years, they commute from Manhattan. That's an option if you have strong ties to the city and don't mind MetroNorth.

I'd say you need to decide based on location and on the feel of the student body to you. You're from NY, so you probably have a good idea of what it's like to hang out in LI for four years. For me, that's almost a deal-breaker in and of itself. But I've visited both schools, and felt that the student bodies are pretty different. You should re-visit and wander around if you need to.

Epi could you (and anyone else reading) elaborate a bit more on two things you mentioned just now:
1) What was your take on the "feel" of the student body. Specifically, if possible, could you please try to explain what factors make the two different. I ask this partly because I don't think that I will have the time off work to re-visit both SB and NYMC before May 15. My take on it from my interviews was that NYMC students tended to be a lot like people I knew who went to a big, live away college. This is to say that they're from all over, more often than not of the traditional path of life (school +/- 2 years), etc... At SB as you mentioned most people were from LI, lots of nontrads, LOT had mentioned strong family connections and having "needed" to stay close to home (this is NOT a need for me).
2) How does the size of the student body impact your choice and also how does it impact the type of attitudes of the people at these schools. (I thought people at SB were very tight knit, and although there were cliques people generally held others that were different in high regard). I have no idea about NYMC, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
Epi could you (and anyone else reading) elaborate a bit more on two things you mentioned just now:
1) What was your take on the "feel" of the student body. Specifically, if possible, could you please try to explain what factors make the two different. I ask this partly because I don't think that I will have the time off work to re-visit both SB and NYMC before May 15. My take on it from my interviews was that NYMC students tended to be a lot like people I knew who went to a big, live away college. This is to say that they're from all over, more often than not of the traditional path of life (school +/- 2 years), etc... At SB as you mentioned most people were from LI, lots of nontrads, LOT had mentioned strong family connections and having "needed" to stay close to home (this is NOT a need for me).
2) How does the size of the student body impact your choice and also how does it impact the type of attitudes of the people at these schools. (I thought people at SB were very tight knit, and although there were cliques people generally held others that were different in high regard). I have no idea about NYMC, however.

*bump*

JUST TO UPDATE I was recently offered a scholarship making the cost different between the two schools much less important (roughly 5k/yr difference, NYMC on top)

This levels the cost playing field- any takers on this?

JUST TO UPDATE I was recently offered a scholarship making the cost different between the two schools much less important (roughly 5k/yr difference, NYMC on top)

This levels the cost playing field- any takers on this?

so now that cost is not a difference, shouldn't you go to the school you'd rather be at? I also rec'd the same email today....I'm thinking I like NYMC more than UConn (if I got off the WL) although UConn is "ranked" (good for them). I still think NYMC has an amazing environment to learn and study and remain social all at once!

so now that cost is not a difference, shouldn't you go to the school you'd rather be at? I also rec'd the same email today....I'm thinking I like NYMC more than UConn (if I got off the WL) although UConn is "ranked" (good for them). I still think NYMC has an amazing environment to learn and study and remain social all at once!

Got the same e-mail today too bud. I am honestly shocked that they decided to pick me but I'm definitely not complaining. Now I can withdraw from Downstate hold without regrets :thumbup:.

And to the OP, this is a great decision now that cash isn't an issue.

You know the board scores and match lists are solid at both schools. You know that mostly it depends how you do individually, anyway. So that isn't an issue.

If rankings matter to you, then yes Stony wins hands down. Research dollars don't lie. However, if it's not a big deal, sounds like it's a personal choice now.

You know Long Island is boring as hell. NYMC will give you weekends in NYC, Stony is so far that it most likely will not. Yes, you're close to Tanger Outlet (exit 72 off the LIE, just 10 exits away from Stony), but who wants to go shopping that often?

NYMC will give you rotations in NYC such that you can essentially be living in Manhattan for 3rd and 4th years, Stonybrook you will be in LI for all 4 with the exception of away rotations.

Can't tell you much about the student body at either school, but sounds like you know where you're swaying with that already.

In fact, it sounds like you know where you want to go already.

stony brook is an hour away by car from NYC...

stony brook is an hour away by car from NYC...

That's true. The time difference is about 20-25 minutes each way, whether that's significant depends on the individual. But I've driven both routes and for some reason 1 hr on the LIE feels like an eternity. All those long drives to Jones Beach on summer days that took like 2 hours cuz of traffic...

I got into both (and 6 other schools), and came to NYMC. I wouldn't trade it for the world. People ask my why come to NYMC with multiple acceptances. The best advice I ever received during the process was this, and I suggest everyone follow it: Go wherever you LIKE the most, because you're going to be stressed anyways (it's med school), and the last thing you want to be is stressed and UNHAPPY.

In relation to the boards, and match list. When I interviewed (2 years ago), I believe Stony Brooks avg was 217, and NYMC was 223 (NYMC's last year 225, I have no idea what SB currently is), but the thing is that average doesn't really mean much. The boards is what you put into it, if you go to a school who averages a 250, and you get a 150, the school average doesn't really mean much (the same goes for the match list, although I personally thought NYMC's was better this year, but maybe I'm biased).

Personally for me, the choice was easy, I felt very comfortable, the kids seemed relaxed (which completely varies at every school depending on which day you interview), and I liked the ability to do rotations in NYC. Like I said above, I wouldn't trade my decision for the world, but I'm sure there are kids at SB who had the same choice, and are very happy with it.

Moral of the story, go where YOU liked the most, and make your own decision, your future is what you put into it, regardless of where you go.

If you already have money invested do you think its wise to go to med school :idea: . Anyway it seems to me that the mere fact that you are trying to decide between these two schools occurred after you were offered the scholarship at NYMC means you must like the school. The scholarship just seems like the push that you needed. I'd say NYMC hands down:banana: More fun here.

If you already have money invested do you think its wise to go to med school :idea: . Anyway it seems to me that the mere fact that you are trying to decide between these two schools occurred after you were offered the scholarship at NYMC means you must like the school. The scholarship just seems like the push that you needed. I'd say NYMC hands down:banana: More fun here.

I think somebody is on the SB waitlist :smuggrin:

EDIT: JUST TO UPDATE I was recently offered a scholarship making the cost different between the two schools much less important (roughly 5k/yr difference, NYMC on top)

Please chime in!

I voted for SB initially since it was cheaper. Now you are offered a scholarship at NYMC, can I rescind my vote? :laugh: I think it is at best a draw now.

According to the latest 2005 NIH rankings, SB was ranked 65, NYMC was ranked 88, out of 123 med schools. SB is ranked slightly higher, but we are not talking about a top 20 or even top 50 school here. SB has a slight edge here.

On the other hand, sounds like NYMC has good board scores, good matching, and students are happy. NYMC has a slight edge here.

I think you like NYMC better. Go with your own judgment if you are happy with it!

Since money is less of an object and you say prestige doesn't particularly matter, plus you're mildy (but not very) concerned about board scores...

Other factors you may want to consider is that a) SB is much more supportive of research, with specific good programs for projects, and b) the student body is half the size of NYMC's. Small can be good or bad, depending on how you feel.
Valhalla is worse than LI tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.