Stony brook vs UC Riverside

Started by Pusheen
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi! I thought I had this one figured out but now I'm starting to second guess myself. I'm from southern CA, not IE, but relatively close.

UC Riverside

+ IS tuition (40k)
+20k scholarship each year, may decrease a little next year, but granted for 4 years.
+ close to home, driving distance to friends and family, close to all the things I love about SoCal
+ can get a dog, won't have to pay to relocate across the country
+ part of the UC system, good connections for residency and long term career prospects in CA
- new school, new clinical rotations.
- less focus on academic medicine, this may be something I am interested in
- less prestigious school (as of now at least)

Stony brook

+ near NYC, always wanted to live in NYC, at least for a while
+ spouse is accepted to prestigious grad program in NYC (less valuable program acceptance here in CA)
+ more focus on research and academic medicine
- COST (60k tuition for first year, 40k every year after that, plus living expenses)
- far from home, may hate nyc, inconvenience and cost of moving and visiting home for holidays. Don't know anyone in the area but my spouse.


Still leaning pretty heavily towards Riverside, but second guessing myself now. Is the opportunity to live in NYC and educational opportunities for my SO worth the cost and inconvenience?

I know only I can really put a value on these things, but I'd love to hear input!
I say Riverside, closer to friends and family and cheaper, these are the 2other important things to me when choosing a school. Stony is more research focused yes but if you are really interested in research and motivated you will find a project .
 
Long time NY resident here. Stony is not that close to NYC. It's more like the burbs and mainly white middle class at that. Living in the city gets old pretty fast. The choice is so clear. Choose Riverside where you have a strong support system and lower tuition. Best of luck!

PS. Love your handle. I have pusheen everything in my home.