Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Stony Brook vs. UMDNJ

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by avnaks, Dec 13, 2005.

1. avnaks

avnaks Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hello,

I was accepted to both Stony Brook and UMDNJ and am about to make the crucial decision. I know that both are good schools, but does anyone have any input as to what the pros and cons are of each school? Thank you very much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AndiB

AndiB Member
    5+ Year Member

being that i only have knowledge of umdnj, i suppose my opinion is somewhat bias (hehe but very true though, in my opinion!) umdnj provides an excellent clinical experience, super friendly staff, get great practice for the future (theyhave more requirements such as X caps, do X cavities, etc, which will prepare you well for the real world

heh this may sound kinda weird, but umdnj is my dream school, kinda like a high school crush, i went there, knew i loved it, and thought about it every day since (haha, jk) but thats my input, hope this helps a little :)

4. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm also curious as to what others have to share in terms of their knowledge of the two schools...

It seems to be that there are many UMDNJ fans on SDN... I have to say, I also was positively impressed when I went to visit the school for their interview. But personally, I am leaning towards Stony Brook a bit more because it's my state school. Also, Stony has a very small class size, which I find favorable. Stony is technologically up to date, they offer digital x-rays and their clinics seemed pretty nice. I guess it doesn't help if one says that a school provides good clinical experience, without backing it up... but it seems to be that both schools supposedly (what I know only from word of mouth) offer good clinical training. One thing that bothers me though is that my interview day experience at Stony wasn't as pleasant~

The avg. gpa of students accepted to Stony is pretty high... does anyone know how the students perform on the board exams and how many of their graduates go on to specialize?

5. PreDentalGuy29

PreDentalGuy29 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Dental
    My vote would definitely go for UMDNJ.

6. Tzips

Tzips Chocoholic
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually went through exactly the same dilemna a year ago, a finally settled on UMDNJ because 1. it's more centrally located - Stony is at least an hour drive from anything; and 2. the class size - small classes are nice, it's true, but it also means that everyone knows everybody else's business. I want to be a student, not fodder for the gossip mill (admittedly a vain hope, but at least I can pretend... which I couldn't in a smaller class). All I know is, I really like my class here. I'm sure Stony would have been nice as well, but I'm glad I made the descision I did, DVD curriculum notwithstanding :p . To the OP: PM me for more details; I have huge pro-con lists, as I spent weeks agonising over the descision last January.

AFAIK, both UMDNJ and Stony students do very well on the Boards, with high residency-matching stats. They're both good, solid clinically-oriented schools.

7. AndiB

AndiB Member
    5+ Year Member

8. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

9. AndiB

AndiB Member
    5+ Year Member

10. RockinDDS

RockinDDS Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hi All,

I am a SB DS1. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the school. I went through the same thing myself just a year ago and I remember how frustrating it was b/c there is little SB representation on SDN.

I will say that I am happy with my Stony Brook decision thus far!

best of luck to everyone