stony brook vs wayne state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bossplaya

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up guys, i got accepted to these 2 schools. Would like some insight on which to choose. I need to decide by April 30th, and I just want to get the decision overwith at this point.

1. so either way, I get financially screwed because I am OOS at both. Tuition at Wayne and Stony is about the same, around 65k, but it seems that Stony allows you to get in-state tuition starting second year, so the tuition goes down to 40k a year. Can I bet on becoming in-state, or can there be some kind of technicality theyre gonna come up with to keep me as OOS? any experience on how easy it is getting in-state at SUNY's?

Wayne state doesnt allow you to get in-state status from what I hear, but there are rumors that the tuition is going to go down to 57k a year for this upcoming class, so unless I get in-state at Stony, Wayne would be like 35k cheaper.

2. Stony is a higher ranked school, and has less than half the students wayne has.

3. Wayne left me with a better vibe than Stony TBH. It seemed more chill, and less competitive although both are H/P/F. People also seemed nicer. Is it possible that keeping up and passing at wayne would be easier than at stony brook? Last thing I'd want is to make my life harder by being in a cutthroat environment

4. Although Detroit isnt ideal, at least its a city with things to do. Stony Brook is a village, and I'm not sure if there's any fun to be had around those parts

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I have a kinda similar situation too. Are different med schools really different in terms of competitiveness? Is it wise to go with the lower ranked one?

From what I've heard, getting in-state after the first year is something almost all OOS students take advantage of at SUNY schools. I think these schools are similar in rankings (although I think Stonybrook might be slightly higher?), so I think Stonybrook should be a no-brainer given the lower COA. Further, many NY residents think of Stonybrook as being the top Med School in the state (although this is open to some interpretation), especially given the plethora of research opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it wise to go with the lower ranked one?

Maybe. Definitely not if the lower ranked one costs more– unless your SO/family absolutely needs to be in a particularly area or COA is a non-factor (i.e. family money). If the schools' rankings are similar, then ranking becomes much less of a factor (and ranking in general becomes less of a factor outside of the top 20-30). In that case, following the money is usually the best advice.

whats up guys, i got accepted to these 2 schools. Would like some insight on which to choose. I need to decide by April 30th, and I just want to get the decision overwith at this point.

1. so either way, I get financially screwed because I am OOS at both. Tuition at Wayne and Stony is about the same, around 65k, but it seems that Stony allows you to get in-state tuition starting second year, so the tuition goes down to 40k a year. Can I bet on becoming in-state, or can there be some kind of technicality theyre gonna come up with to keep me as OOS? any experience on how easy it is getting in-state at SUNY's?

Wayne state doesnt allow you to get in-state status from what I hear, but there are rumors that the tuition is going to go down to 57k a year for this upcoming class, so unless I get in-state at Stony, Wayne would be like 35k cheaper.

2. Stony is a higher ranked school, and has less than half the students wayne has.

3. Wayne left me with a better vibe than Stony TBH. It seemed more chill, and less competitive although both are H/P/F. People also seemed nicer. Is it possible that keeping up and passing at wayne would be easier than at stony brook? Last thing I'd want is to make my life harder by being in a cutthroat environment

4. Although Detroit isnt ideal, at least its a city with things to do. Stony Brook is a village, and I'm not sure if there's any fun to be had around those parts

I am in a similar situation and will be choosing Stony Brook after attending Second look. It sold me on the school. Great collaborative environment (not cutthroat or super competitive), People are so down to earth and of various cultural and educational backgrounds.

Reactions: 1 user

Id say it's honestly tough since the vibe you get about the general culture/ students/ faculty should not necessarily be ignored but the COA difference is also very important.. Maybe attend second look at SB to see if you still get a negative vibe? They do have a reputation of being relatively cutthroat, and my girlfriend who's at SB for undergrad has given me a a few stories about Med students she has met, one that she overheard apparently loudly acting like a spoiled brat in a Starbucks. So I'd recommend attending second look, and if you end up making friends and meeting people you like, go with SB.

If you want more of my anecdotal experience though, I also got a less friendly vibe from the people I interviewed with at SB compared to all 7 other schools I interviewed at.. Most of the guys in my group seemed very intent on bragging about themselves...

Reactions: 1 users
I am in a similar situation and will be choosing Stony Brook after attending Second look. It sold me on the school. Great collaborative environment (not cutthroat or super competitive), People are so down to earth and of various cultural and educational backgrounds.
Wow, thats really good to hear. I've been leaning toward stony brook, but didnt go to second look. Do the students seem chill and social? Not too many gunners I hope

Are there any fun things to do near campus? like bars and stuff?

Idk if you already made your decision but my friend is an MS1 at stony and loves it. He made a really great group of friends and they go out all the time to bars in Port Jeff. I also just committed to stony so I might be a little biased