Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCYan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows what is the waitlist like at Stony Brook. How many ppl do they take in as waitlist and usually how many ppl gets an acceptance later on? How is the waitlist ranked? Does it help if I am on the waitlist early in October compared to somewhere who joins the waitlist in March? Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

MCYan said:
I wonder if anyone knows what is the waitlist like at Stony Brook. How many ppl do they take in as waitlist and usually how many ppl gets an acceptance later on? How is the waitlist ranked? Does it help if I am on the waitlist early in October compared to somewhere who joins the waitlist in March? Thank you very much!

I called them up yesterday after i got my waitlist letter last week. They are very secretive about this. They say it varies every year the number of ppl who come off it. And I asked if ppl are ranked evenly on the waitlist and they said that's confidential information. So i dunno, the admissions ppl seemed kinda annoyed when I asked the questions, so i stopped there.

Here is some info I found on their website that might be helpful.

In 2004, there were 2612 applicants, 575 interviewed, 279 got accepted and 102 matriculated. So looks like 177+ were on the waitlist.

What bugs me is that they call this info confidential, yet they post it on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
gluon999 said:

In 2004, there were 2612 applicants, 575 interviewed, 279 got accepted and 102 matriculated. So looks like 177+ were on the waitlist.

What bugs me is that they call this info confidential, yet they post it on their website.

i dont think thats how it works. I think they accept somewhere between 102 and 279 ppl first and of the rest of them, they put some on waitlist. So, u need many ppl to drop out first b4 the waitlist moves, which is why most waitlists move in may. There would be no need to take ppl off the waitlist unless the class is not full up to 102 ppl. Or else, you would have tremendous waitlist movement to every school cuz half to 2/3 of the accepted ppl don't matriculate. That's what i'm speculating at least. I could be wrong and my logic could be faulty.

gluon999 said:

sorry, not how it works. if 279 were accepted, then 279 were accepted - period. they accepted this amount of people expected that almost 2/3rds would turn down the offer of admission. so, somewhere between 1 and 296 people were on their waitlist last year (575-279.)

I figure that they would put several of those 279 people on the waitlist (on a rolling basis) and then accept them as others refuse their acceptance offer. But I see your point about not everyone of those 177 being on the waitlist.

But 279 out of 575 means that we have almost a 50% chance of being accepted.

Okay forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between enrolled and matriculated? It seems there are (for example) 700 people who enrolled but 200 matriculated...what happened to the rest of them?

RayhanS1282 said:
Okay forgive my ignorance but what is the difference between enrolled and matriculated? It seems there are (for example) 700 people who enrolled but 200 matriculated...what happened to the rest of them?

I thought enrolled referred to the total number of students at the school? In other words, there are 700 med students, approximately 1/4 of which represent each class.

karat said:
I thought enrolled referred to the total number of students at the school? In other words, there are 700 med students, approximately 1/4 of which represent each class.

Ah, now that makes sense....I thought enrolled in 2005 means that that's the number of students they accepted or something, which seemed very high in the first place. Thanks.

I read an old waitlist thread from a few years back that said about 1/3 of stony's class came from waitlist. I hope thats true, would love to see some movement in May / June.

zero2hero said:
I read an old waitlist thread from a few years back that said about 1/3 of stony's class came from waitlist. I hope thats true, would love to see some movement in May / June.

I was looking on mdapplicants and I found that there are very very few ppl who were rejected post interivew. Most were waitlisted or accepted. Doesn't that mean that a waitlist isn't as easy to get off as it sounds? 1/3 is about 33 ppl, but if there are 250 ppl on the waitlist.....

zurned said:
I was looking on mdapplicants and I found that there are very very few ppl who were rejected post interivew. Most were waitlisted or accepted. Doesn't that mean that a waitlist isn't as easy to get off as it sounds? 1/3 is about 33 ppl, but if there are 250 ppl on the waitlist.....

that's mdapplicants though, it's probably like SDN in that it's above average
there's probably a bias in that the people who were rejected post interview from anywhere would probably have a lower chance of being on mdapplicants

They also said in the interview that there are two different waitlists-one with a good chance and one with almost no chance so that may be why so few were rejected post interview.

smallqt said:
They also said in the interview that there are two different waitlists-one with a good chance and one with almost no chance so that may be why so few were rejected post interview.

Thats weird, cuz i called up last month after i got waitlisted. They said they used to do that in previous years, but not anymore.

zurned said:
Thats weird, cuz i called up last month after i got waitlisted. They said they used to do that in previous years, but not anymore.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you guys to hear from Stony Brook?
Thanks