Stop wasting your time ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mkassir

i posted a thread here ... it was called " what do you think " .. it said basically that my gpa is 3.7 . pcat was 90 .. but i have 5 classes i had gotten C's on in my freshman year, and i had to retake, and got all A's, and asked about my chances... as expected people start acting like they know what they are saying ... people who are students just like me and many others ... saying "oh thats bad" "oh you dont have a chance, you got a C ... your done.." ... well to all these people ... go get a life .... i was allready accepted before i posted here.. i go to university of michigan ann arbor, which is by the way ranked i think in the top 20 in the country, from the first try ... so this is to everyone who wants advice on this website... and to everyone giving it ... if you dont know what you are talking about ... dont give your advice ... and if you are asking for advice .... go ask people who actually know what they are talking about .... you have to remember that most of the people you are asking here are students just like you.. and probably know nothing more ... with that i leave you all .. gl 2 everyone... hope you all reach your dreams ... dont listen to people who try to bring you down... and remember ... people like that, are prolly people who couldnt do it themselves ... so now they trying to make everyone feel like they cant either .. gl

Members don't see this ad.

I think the problem is that people come in here asking for advice, and then get a lot of advice and suggestions from people who are really not much further along in the process than the original questioner.

For example: how much would someone who's taken the PCAT once or twice really know about how PCAT scores impact admission? How much would someone who has applied to three schools and gotten accepted to one or two, really know about overall admission standards and practices, including to their chosen school(s)?

When those people reply from an all-knowing stance, it makes them look foolish. I think it's important for people to give some sort of inkling as to their credibility on a given subject. The reader then has the option to take the advice they asked for, or leave it. When one comes to an open forum and asks for advice/suggestions/recommendations, tey're pretty likely to get a lot of it: some good, some not so good, but mostly well-intended. It's up to the questioner to determine which advice is legitimate and credible, and which simply reflects one person's limited experience.

Some of us have sat on adcoms and professional review boards for many years, and can speak from that level of experience.

okay...you just contradicted yourself

you say you came on here for advice...yet you say the people on here are students that are just like you and don't know any better

why come on here for advice then??

and if the students on here don't know any better...why not just call a couple of schools to see what they think?

don't get all butt hurt just because you got pushed around on an INTERNET FORUM

Members don't see this ad :)
i posted a thread here ... it was called " what do you think " .. it said basically that my gpa is 3.7 . pcat was 90 .. but i have 5 classes i had gotten C's on in my freshman year, and i had to retake, and got all A's, and asked about my chances... as expected people start acting like they know what they are saying ... people who are students just like me and many others ... saying "oh thats bad" "oh you dont have a chance, you got a C ... your done.." ... well to all these people ... go get a life .... i was allready accepted before i posted here.. i go to university of michigan ann arbor, which is by the way ranked i think in the top 20 in the country, from the first try ... so this is to everyone who wants advice on this website... and to everyone giving it ... if you dont know what you are talking about ... dont give your advice ... and if you are asking for advice .... go ask people who actually know what they are talking about .... you have to remember that most of the people you are asking here are students just like you.. and probably know nothing more ... with that i leave you all .. gl 2 everyone... hope you all reach your dreams ... dont listen to people who try to bring you down... and remember ... people like that, are prolly people who couldnt do it themselves ... so now they trying to make everyone feel like they cant either .. gl

first of a few C's isnt as bad as ppl make it out to seem. i mean this isnt med school where c's hurt slightly more. i mean pharmacy is competitive but some ppl do act ridiculous especially when they come here and say "MY STATS ARNT GREAT I HAVE A 95 PERCENTILE AND A 3.8 GPA ANY ADVICE?" then they find small faults like little extra activities outside school or what not. fact is for most schools anything above 80 percent and 3.0 is competitive (to what degree depends on the school and other things like experience).

well you have to be smart as you are in college... people here are giving thier thoughts and opinion and you have to take the ones you think are good for you...

Sorry I'm confused, are you in our pharmacy school now?

If you ask people how your chances look with a 3.7 and a 90 PCAT, what else did you expect?

And FYI, SDN is FILLED with sarcasm, get used to it.

university of Michigan should kick you out of their pharmacy program for this "prank".

If you refer to the original post, no one was telling the OP that he or she had no chance with a 3.7 gpa and 90 pcat (which unfortunately, this is what it sounds like when I read this post). The problem that other posters saw came with something that I am not familiar with-- how pharmcas calculates gpa for classes that have been retaken. Some people gave the original poster some pretty good advice, I thought, to make sure to take into consideration this factor about pharmcas. And this is what they were referring to when they said that his or her chances may not be as steller as someone with a 3.7gpa/90 pcat.

On a related note, I am surprised that some people take such offense at other people's replies to their posts. This is an internet forum. You have to expect that.

mkassir is petarded...

why is he even posting in the pre-pharm when he already got in?

why ask about if he'll get in if hes in?

i guess some people just want to be babied and get praises of "wow, such high gpa, you'll get in for sure" so they can have a bigger e pen1s

what a loser :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

university of Michigan should kick you out of their pharmacy program for this "prank".

I'm not convinced he's in our program because he referred to the undergraduate US News Ranking, not the pharmacy school ranking. It may have been just a misplaced train of thought.

The advice you got seemed pretty fair and reasonable, even considering if it was given by students. Anyhow, what was the point of this little "experiment"? Slow week?

mkassir=troll The OP posted a "what are my chances" thread in the pre-med forum a few minutes after this one. Along with making other threads with different GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
mkassir=troll The OP posted a "what are my chances" thread in the pre-med forum a few minutes after this one. Along with making other threads with different GPAs.

Good point with the troll comment. Why would a normal busy pharm student be conducting social experiments for personal entertainment ? Don't you have some studying to do, mkassir ?:p

Please remember that the name of this forum network is the Student Doctor Network. Key word = Student. Though we here at SDN pride ourselves in making connections with credible people in the admissions process through our Advisor program, organizational partners, retail partners for test-prep materials, etc, this network is driven and will always be driven by the students who use this message board and the our other services.

As students, we obviously are constrained by our personal experiences with our respective "systems". There aren't enough adcoms who come here drive this forum so this board would be dead and pointless if adcom experience was a prerequisite for providing advice or discussing the admission process. A vague idea about one's admission chances is a lot better than no ideas. Many pre-pharmacy students around me often mention how their pre-health advisors aren't that much better than us!

Rather than lament the level of ignorance of this board, it's a better strategy to not focus on one or two posts or post typology and look for common themes from multiple members over time. The "truth" you need is partly found in tidbits in relevant posts as some posts will have a lot of it and some won't as much but still are serviceable. Not even one adcom can speak for ones' chances for acceptance; that's obvious. Instead look for all of the data possible from this board, process it, and try to discover general and specific patterns.

Iample: how much would someone who's taken the PCAT once or twice really know about how PCAT scores impact admission? How much would someone who has applied to three schools and gotten accepted to one or two, really know about overall admission standards and practices, including to their chosen school(s)?

Well gee, I did include a disclaimer in my PCAT thread over in the PCAT board.:rolleyes:

Omnione........... You are the man..... way to sum it up.

Geeezz people, lighten up a little bit. Why are you all so tense for lol. I do find it hilarious though when people come in here asking for advice..."I have a 3.99999999 and a 96 composite on the pcat...I'm worried, do you think I have a chance at getting in?" lmao people like that crack me up. I don't know, just my two cents worth for the night.

On 09-24-2007, 05:01 AM - He was hoping to be accepted to wayne state - but he had a horrible freshman year with a couple of c's & a D

On 10-08-2007, 11:31 PM - He was talking about his very low GPA of 3.0 ...

and wouldn't you know it - On 10-23-2007, 03:45 PM - his GPA had jumped to 3.7 and he was looking for advice...

Typically, when a person is accepted, they post a thank you for all of the advice & support they received here... This person on the other hand, posted that his Junior level GPA jumped from 3.0 - 3.7 in less than a month. Wow...

At any rate - I think we can safely call him a troll - Omni - shall I flag the post???

~above~

Geeezz people, lighten up a little bit. Why are you all so tense for lol. I do find it hilarious though when people come in here asking for advice..."I have a 3.99999999 and a 96 composite on the pcat...I'm worried, do you think I have a chance at getting in?" lmao people like that crack me up. I don't know, just my two cents worth for the night.

The pre pharm board is made of pretty successful people - but we do tend to attract a few misguided souls - hence the troll. The best way to deal with them is to call them out - and show people that type of attitude doesn't fly here.

~above~

Well, I never ask for opinion like "Am I gonna have a chance to get in?" I have to go do research on my school. That is the best way to know.

I really had friends:thumbdown: used always to tell me that sentence.For example they told me accountant is really boring because of them I failed but when I studied again I find how easy its.

So My Word is

:thumbup:
don't listen to people who try to bring you down... and remember ... people like that, are prolly people who couldn't do it themselves ... so now they trying to make everyone feel like they cant either .. gl