Strange things happen to me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukodystrophy

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo I went to see a doctor. Doctor was awful, and has numerous awful reviews. I did not read those reviews prior to going to see this person. That was my mistake. I get an email from this person's front desk staff/nurse/multiple duty person telling me to take down my review or they will sue me for libel. Even in their email they sent me, they say something along the lines of ... "your name, PYG x resident" Again everything that I've said is factual. This person even created a fake profile on yelp to message me privately inquiring about some information that another doctor that told me about him that truly concerned me.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? I feel this is crazy and have no plans to remove anything as it's truthful. Any thoughts? I'm seriously thinking of reporting this person to the board.

Members don't see this ad.

Oy, I'm pretty sure your opinions posted onto review sites are protected speech under the law. These things happen MUCH more commonly in the restaurant and hotel world where bad reviews can literally tank a business.

Unless you lied and told a completely made up story, you are fine and should ignore their threats or explain that further communication with you will resort in a report being filed with the state board or some other entity. That should stop them real quick. Just to be safe, I'd keep all documentation of these proceedings.

Reactions: 1 user
Well if you lied, you could be sued. It has happened many times if you google it.

Reviewing doctors is asinine. Affable/likable = GREAT DOCTOR. Regardless of actual quality of medicine.

Didn't give you antibiotics for your virus? Or refill your narcotics? INSENSITIVE *****.

The general population is just not fit to review doctors and it is a disservice to excellent doctors with mediocre bedside manor that review sites exist.

Reactions: 10 users
Is this physician associated with your program!? If you can in anyway be hurt by this I would consider removing.

What did the physician do that was so awful?

Oy, I'm pretty sure your opinions posted onto review sites are protected speech under the law. These things happen MUCH more commonly in the restaurant and hotel world where bad reviews can literally tank a business.

Unless you lied and told a completely made up story, you are fine and should ignore their threats or explain that further communication with you will resort in a report being filed with the state board or some other entity. That should stop them real quick. Just to be safe, I'd keep all documentation of these proceedings.

Yeah I will be contacting the board I think, and even wrote that in my review. This person like I said even created a fake profile to question me about something pretending to be a patient!! I don't think this behavior is ethical in any way, shape or form. What kind of doctor behaves as such?

Is this physician associated with your program!? If you can in anyway be hurt by this I would consider removing.

What did the physician do that was so awful?

No not at all. Has no relationship with my program specialty wise but was previously fired by a different department within the same university system.

Well if you lied, you could be sued. It has happened many times if you google it.

A lie is one thing. I have not lied at all - everything I've said in my review I can prove. But the fact that this person would even threaten me this way and the fact that in their threat email (sent by the receptionist/person who does billing) says -- patient x, PGYx resident. What the heck? my resident status has nothing to do with anything, and I find this to be even more coercive. The fact also that they have threatened lawsuits before to other patietns is also worrying, and not to mention that this person has a ton of bad reviews.

Reviewing doctors is asinine. Affable/likable = GREAT DOCTOR. Regardless of actual quality of medicine.

Didn't give you antibiotics for your virus? Or refill your narcotics? INSENSITIVE *****.

The general population is just not fit to review doctors and it is a disservice to excellent doctors with mediocre bedside manor that review sites exist.

How DARE you make such an EXTREME statement!! So insensitive!

Oh wait though, now that I've actually read the post and given it some thought rather than reacted reflexively I just realized there is a strong chance you're actually right...carry on.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that in libel cases, one has to show damages. Gawd, I wish Law2Doc was still here!

May he rest in peace.

Having bad reviews as a doctor is an inverse proportional status. It just means you've been doing your job.

So celebrate your 1 star and keep up the good work!

btw, did law2doc really die?

You can get sued even if you didn't lie. Anybody can sue anybody for anything anytime... But if your factual statements are factual and can be supported, and your opinions are clearly expressed as opinions, then your speech is legally protected.

Since the situation has gone south, you may want to give your PD a heads up in case s/he actually does attempt to retaliate.

Reactions: 1 users
Guys,

Law2Doc is still around. He wasn't banned/put on hold/"died".

He logged on last week but just hasn't posted in a while. Maybe he's got a life unlike some of us.

Reactions: 10 users