Strategic advice needed, regarding MCAT, SMP, and Extension classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aldrich

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation:

I graduated last May with a 3.17 s-GPA and a 3.19 cum GPA. Slight upward trend but not streaks of A's. Because I got a 23 on my MCAT, I withdrew my medschool app last June.

I am currently applying to SMP's for Fall 2012.

I am retaking my MCAT on Jan. 27th 2012; so far practice tests are showing 28 to 30, but my goal is to get a 35.

I am also submitting my medschool app on June 1st 2012. As such, I will matriculate into SMP's during my "glide year". My rationale here is that SMP will act as a slight booster (I can update my medschool app with my progress), and also as a safety net if I don't matriculate into medical school in Fall 2013.

I am thinking about taking two quarters (around 4-6 classes) of upper division science classes at UCLA (competing with normal UCLA students) starting on Jan. 9th to June. My rationale here, is to pad my June medschool application with a streak of 4 or so A's.

Here is my dilemma: the MCAT is on Jan 27th, and my UCLA classes start on Jan. 9th. Therefore, there is about a 3 week overlap. Is it a no-brainer to trash the UCLA class idea, and apply bare with just an improved MCAT score and an intention of SMP?

The other option is to do classes at a cal-state that start on Jan. 23rd, which reduces the overlap, but the competitive aspect of the classes are significantly diminished compared to the UCLA classes which are harder.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The 3 weeks overlapp is not a big deal. Assuming you have been studying your ass off for the MCAT the last few months, the last 3 weeks shouldn't be too big of a deal. By that point it should just be practice exams which you can manage on weekends. This is just what I would do.

Do NOT trash the classes because in the long run you will need them.

It seems with your GPA and MCAT you are at a huge disadvantage. It might be best to not take the MCAT yet and keep practicing it. Take the courses and ace them. Then don't apply for june 2012. Then take the SMP. If you want 35 and you are averaging 28-30, there is a slim chance that you are hitting 35 by january. I was averaging 36-39 and ended up with a 33(my MCAT was a BITCH) so I went down from my average..but thats just me.

I appreciate your input. Also, I'm sorry about your MCAT, man. Were those 36-39's on AAMC's?

It's really difficult for me to consider postponing my MCAT, since I already laid down the $240 for the seat and $200 dollars to fly to Seattle to take the exam. I'll consider it though.

I forgot to mention above, that part of my rationale of taking the MCAT in January instead of April or May, is to gain a significant upper hand on rolling SMP apps which opened in October. If I take it in January, then I'll be able to press "submit" for SMP's earlier and have a better chance of matriculating.
If the score is high enough, I was also hoping to apply to medschools in June.

So from your comment, I'm getting the vib that the upper div. science classes will be necessary before SMP, even if I don't decide to apply this June. Would you support that idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're doing the SMP for sure, I would wait to apply until after you're done, and would do the same for the MCAT. If you do well in those classes it will be a huge addition to your application, and a year of really rigorous sciences would surely help your MCAT (particularly bio). If your goal is 35, I would definitely not take it until you can hit at least that on the practices. Like gmc said, it is not uncommon to go down a bit on the real thing. I started with 11's on BS during prep, worked my way up to 14, and then a week later got an 11 on the real deal. My PS was the same as during prep, but my VR went down 1 point. It's definitely disappointing, so make sure you take it when you're comfortable (And please, please don't drink too much coffee beforehand. I had to pee something wicked during the BS section. Must've been why I didn't get the 14 ;))

Thanks for the reply!

Currently, my 23 (which I wish I voided) is not good enough for SMP's. So I'm thinking I might as well take it in January for the sake of SMPs.

In the event that I score a 30-33, would you recommend that I still hold off on my June application, even if I'm able to pad my app. with upper div. science classes, and matriculation into SMP during my glide year? I am currently under the impression that I will be able to update my medschool apps with my SMP progress during my glide year.