Strenghtening One's Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like most programs in the scramble already chose their applicants, and I didn't match at any one of them. What things can I do to strenghten my application for next year, if I have mediocre grades, mediocre steps (190's) and I come from a Mediocre school (It does have AAMC accreditation)? I was thinking of taking one year off and doing research for the entire year at one good PM&R program. Will this increase my chances significantly for the next year Match or should I consider a change of career totally. Please be as honest as you can without being too harsh.

Members don't see this ad.

Sivastraba said:
It seems like most programs in the scramble already chose their applicants, and I didn't match at any one of them. What things can I do to strenghten my application for next year, if I have mediocre grades, mediocre steps (190's) and I come from a Mediocre school (It does have AAMC accreditation)? I was thinking of taking one year off and doing research for the entire year at one good PM&R program. Will this increase my chances significantly for the next year Match or should I consider a change of career totally. Please be as honest as you can without being too harsh.

Go to the pre-allo forum and you'll realize that there is no such think as a mediocre medical school. Unless you went to an FMG school, which is sad to say, looked at slightly different.

A question you have to ask yourself is whether you would be happy in a different field. Only you know the answer to that.

I seriously doubt that taking a year off to do research is even necessary.
As with most fields, there always seems to be a few people who decide to change fields during intership year. This sometimes frees up possible PGY2 positions in the next year.

My suggestion to you would be to do an TY or Prelim Medicine year at
1. A university that has a PM&R residency program.
2. Allows elective time during the year at that program.

You can get some research done at that PM&R program which will get you on the "A-list" with that program...and also impress the other programs you apply to next year.

During the next year, do an elective with the program. Let them know of your intentions to apply to PM&R next year. You never know. They may be so smitten with you that they try to find funding for the next year so that you can start with the PGY2s or you would be almost guaranteed a spot for PGY2 the next year. Either way, things might not be so bad in that you get to complete a prelim year and take Step 3 and get it out the way. If you take the PGY2 year the next year, you'll be an even better doctor. Unless of course you match into a program that starts as PGY1.

Unless you have some glaring fault on your application that would scare off almost any program director, I refuse to believe that your continued commitment to becoming a PM&R doc would go unrecognized and unrewarded. I don't think we're urology or plastics yet.

Keep your head up. Good luck in the next year.

Would failing a course be considered a glaring fault?

DigableCat said:
Go to the pre-allo forum and you'll realize that there is no such think as a mediocre medical school. Unless you went to an FMG school, which is sad to say, looked at slightly different.

A question you have to ask yourself is whether you would be happy in a different field. Only you know the answer to that.

I seriously doubt that taking a year off to do research is even necessary.
As with most fields, there always seems to be a few people who decide to change fields during intership year. This sometimes frees up possible PGY2 positions in the next year.

My suggestion to you would be to do an TY or Prelim Medicine year at
1. A university that has a PM&R residency program.
2. Allows elective time during the year at that program.

You can get some research done at that PM&R program which will get you on the "A-list" with that program...and also impress the other programs you apply to next year.

During the next year, do an elective with the program. Let them know of your intentions to apply to PM&R next year. You never know. They may be so smitten with you that they try to find funding for the next year so that you can start with the PGY2s or you would be almost guaranteed a spot for PGY2 the next year. Either way, things might not be so bad in that you get to complete a prelim year and take Step 3 and get it out the way. If you take the PGY2 year the next year, you'll be an even better doctor. Unless of course you match into a program that starts as PGY1.

Unless you have some glaring fault on your application that would scare off almost any program director, I refuse to believe that your continued commitment to becoming a PM&R doc would go unrecognized and unrewarded. I don't think we're urology or plastics yet.

Keep your head up. Good luck in the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sivastraba said:
Would failing a course be considered a glaring fault?

Well, although definitely not a shining point in an application...I was thinking more along the lines of evaluations saying things subliminally like "this guy is a social freak, DO NOT ACCEPT". With regards to failing a course, there is nothing really you can do about that now. Water under the bridge. A program will either be able to get past that or not.

By the way, if possible, you may want to see all your evaluations that were placed in your Dean's Letter as well as your LORs. If your LORs didn't paint you in the best of light, you may want to consider asking for different ones next year.

I am extremely shocked and dissapointed that I did not match this year. I truly can't believe it! I ranked 13 programs! I'm told it's unheard of to rank so many programs and end up with none! It's hard not to take it personally considering that I did receive so many interview offers--at least 20. I had a really strong application, great letters, strong previous exposure to PM&R etc. Only weakness are my board scores. I simply do not test well. I have received all honors/A's in my clinical rotations and great evals from preceptors which shows on my Dean's letter.

My question is at what point do programs usually utilize the board score as a cut-off. I naturally assumed that since I had received so many interviews that my board scores were no longer an issue. Is it possible that they use the scores as a cut-off after interviewing candidates? Otherwise, I can't begin to understand how this could have happened.

Any ideas you may have on unconventional ways of getting into a program would be of help. Perhaps trying to do research at a program although that won't help me for this next time around--I would be reapplying in a mere 5 months. That doesn't leave much time to enhance my CV. HELP!!!

I'm not willing to give up and just change specialties as many people so willingly suggest. That's like telling someone to go from being a social worker to a mailman. At the same time, I have a wife, a kid on the way and building loans! UGH! :eek: