Strengthening my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shasawat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just started my junior year of college and am hoping to directly go to medical school after I graduate. My GPA suffered a bit during my sophomore year and I am now improving it. Currently it is a 3.5 and I hope to apply with a cumulative 3.6. I also started studying for the MCAT and will be taking the Kaplan classes. I have 3 summers of research experience and I plan on continuing at the same lab the subsequent summers because I really like the work that they do and I hope to be able to publish an abstract and eventually be a co-author for a paper once I gather more data. I also plan on pursing an honors thesis during. I am a biochemistry major and a math minor. I have volunteer experience at a hospital and I will continue to do this throughout the year and probably though my senior year also. I have shadowed a variety of physicians. I run a lot of 5k races, and half marathons and I am training to run my first full marathon. I hike a lot and I have volunteered at a few river clean up events mostly because I cared about the environment and I wanted to at least make some effort to preserve it. Its just something I do on the side. I went on a medical brigade trip to Nicaragua and found that this was a fascinating experience seeing the discrepancy in healthcare in that region of the world. I was wondering what I could do to improve my application? I know my GPA isn't the highest GPA out there so would it be wiser to apply after my senior year?

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Ace this year(3.75+)
2) Build up volunteering experience. Hospital volunteering, hospice volunteering, volunteering with organizations etc. All of it
3) Clinical exposure: Keep doing the hospital volunteering. Consider doing some in a hospice and other clinical settings if possible.
4) Get your MCAT score in time that also provides a chance for you to re-take if you need to.

You don't need to take a year off if you ace this year and apply with around a 3.6. It can definitely help your application if you take a year off; both by counting your senior grades and by building up your ECs. It's your call. But first ace this year.

So far you're doing fine and what I recommend is more non-clinical service to others less fortunate than yourself. Check out your local houses of worship; they'll have plenty for things for you to do.