Stress, Free time, & Life during Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You

Carpe Diem!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) I was just wondering what's life like during dental school? More or less stress compare to your undergrad years?

2) Do you have time for relationship/bf/gf thing?

3) Do you have time for any fun activities?

4) Or time for gymn or workout?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I was just wondering what's life like during dental school? More or less stress compare to your undergrad years?

thanks.
1) Substantially more stress.

2) I got married halfway through second year.

3) Yep.

4) Yep.

Was it even more stressful to get married during school years?

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks.

1) Undergrad and grad school were both cake comparatively.
2) Once or twice a week
3) Weekends, but I'd rather do nothing.
4) In the evening, but I'm too tired after the day. Just wanna watch TV and veg.

1) Undergrad and grad school were both cake comparatively.
2) Once or twice a week
3) Weekends, but I'd rather do nothing.
4) In the evening, but I'm too tired after the day. Just wanna watch TV and veg.
So, who plays with the teddy bear? :laugh: :wow:

thanks.

1) Less time than in undergrad, ( I worked 40 hrs/week and did 20+ credit hours in undergrad)

2) Have been married for 5+ years and we have had 2 of our three kids while in school

3) You mean watching spongebob isnt fun? I actually have enough time to do well in school and also fulfill family responsibilities and still have more hobbies than my wife thinks I should have.

4) whats that, some sort of place to go hang out?

thanks.

1.)Lost more hair in dental school than undergrad
2.) married 4 years
3.)yup except around board time--> lost more hair
4.)yup

Stress, Free time, & Life during Dental school

It's much more busy than in undergrad, with the added stress of knowing you actually need to remember a lot of the things you are learning :) More tests, more frequently, more discipline required. But for me, it's more fun because I really enjoy what I'm learning.

Yes :) Especially since we study together (he's in the med. school across the street), can help each other out with responsibilities, and find time for fun together ~

Definitely. Have to to keep sane.

Yep, that too.

thanks.

1.)Lost more hair in dental school than undergrad
2.) married 4 years
3.)yup except around board time--> lost more hair
4.)yup

Sorry, but I can't help it but crack up when I read this. Good thing you got a wife already, so no worries eh? :) What school is this btw?

Do you actually have to physically be in class every day? At my school for undergrad all classes are recorded and you can watch and listen to the class at your convenience as long as you do the work.

Less for me so far, but that may change if I start doing research. The volunteering hours, research, working a job, and doing purely science classes as a non-trad was really time consuming and stressful. As a dental student I have only one focus and I love it.

Yes. Time for the engagement thing actually!

Absolutely! Having some classmates over tomorrow night. Today about 15 of us went out for lunch after our case presentations were over.

I just got back from a workout a little while ago. I go to the gym 4 times per week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
-stress much much much higher, especially if you actually struggle on any hand skills

-yes, girlfriend in dental with me so works out pretty well

-yes but you manage your time (you technically do have time, but do you want to spend those hours studying for that A or are okay with a B and enjoying your time? depends on your goals)

-yes

For me, it is a lot more stressful. I kinda cruised through undergrad and didn't have to worry about much. Dental school has a lot of material at a fast pace. None of the material is DIFFICULT. It's just time consuming. I also work hard to try and get an A on every test/quiz/practical. Sometimes that doesn't work out and I end up with a B+/A-, but I really work hard.

The closest thing that I have to a boyfriend is my cat... so...

For sure. I usually go out drinking one night a week and then do lunch/dinner a couple of other times a week. I also make sure that I take time out everyday to relax and I'm someone that attends every single class, so my daily schedule is less flexible than someone who doesn't attend class.

4) Or time for gym or workout?
I SHOULD be going to the gym more often... there is totally time to do it though. I'm just lazy...

Reactions: 1 users
It was a lot more stressful for me. I think first year, first semester was the worst bc I was transitioning in. Once you get used to studying for dental school, it all sort of fell into place.
Third year added the stress of heavy requirements that are by year at our school (we don't have joint 3rd/4th year requirements but separate 3rd year requirements and 4th year requirements). That stressed me out a lot esp since sometimes it was out of your control and there is no way to put extra work in during the weekend, so you just have to deal with the stress. But that was my experience at my school.

I got engaged and married while in dental school. So, yes. Luckily I started dating my husband knew me when I was applying to dental school and he expected it to be a difficult time. He has been a great support throughout the entire process.

I at least take Friday evening off and usually most of the weekend now that I am a fourth year and we don't have many exams.
When I was a first year/second year I would take Friday evening off, study all day Saturday, relax Saturday evening, study all day Sunday. Once in clinic it all depended on how much lab work I had to do for that week.

I go at least 3x per week. I like to go in the mornings to get the work out out of the way.

1) A lot more stress involved. Especially when you have to take exams and quizzes every week (I'm a D2)
2) Had time for a few dates during 1st year, didn't have time for any romance this fall of D2, and definitely not the spring of D2 (because of boards), and probably not summer of D3 (because of clinical entry exams).
3) Yes, during the mid-semester breaks they give us or the end of semester breaks they give us. D1 will have a lot more time to go drinking after exams. D2 year so far, I have not touched any alcohol during the regular school days.
4) Depends on your determination. I can't wake up at 6am to go to the gym and then be in class at 8 o'clock because I'd use up all my energy then. Not to mention, I still have to be at school until 5pm. I choose to get as much sleep as I can considering I should be studying for exams + quizzes every darn week XD

- I think this is going to vary a lot based on what people did in undergrad. I for one will say that my undergrad was living hell. My major was one of those where we started with a class of 150 and graduated only 15 kids. So overall dental school has been about the same level of stress.

- Like some have said after the first couple of weeks of getting kicked in the huevos you realize what needs to be done and adapt. The first month was awful but after that I've just gotten into a nice little rhythm where everything falls into place

- LOL you sound like my mom.

- Yeah we try to take at least the Friday evening off or Saturday depending. Study to hard and you'll burn out trust me.

- Yes at least a couple of times a week. Helps reduce the stress built up.

To be honest it sucks pretty bad. A lot more stress compared to my undergrad years. I have multiple quizzes/exams every week and no matter how much I study I feel like I'm still behind.

I've never been a committed relationship type of guy, even up to this point. I imagine my class rank would drop quite a bit if I was since dental school is such an emotional investment in itself. I have had time for a few hook ups in Fall semester of D1, but no real relationships.

3) Do you have time for any fun activities? Technically I do on Friday nights, but usually I am so exhausted from the school week that I just can't will myself to make it out.

4) Or time for gym or workout? This is the only non- school related activity that I do on a semi-regular basis. I go 3X a week.

Last edited:
For me personally, undergrad seemed a lot busier (maybe my major was harder than most)

Was married throughout dental school

I had a tendency to stay in most of the time, but there was a good amount of down time

I honestly didn't work out much, but I guess it depends on how you mange your time.

DO NOT date, hook up, or get in any way romantically involved with a classmate!!! DEFINITELY NOT during your first semester! If you're not 100% serious about each other, it is not worth it! The only thing you'll get out of it is an immense amount of stress.

Trust me on that.. :uhno:

Reactions: 4 users
agreed. thats why you find a med student or someone from another class. :laugh: i actually dated a hygiene student and a MD resident while in school (not at the same time of course). neither panned out, but I'm happily married now so its all good.

on a side note...
stress is relative. if you've always struggled in school, you'll prob struggle in dschool.

see above. i went out all the time! i actually had a blast while in dschool.

if you manage your time well you'll have plenty to go on hikes, work out, travel, etc.

i picked up endurance sports in dschool, so running and cycling became my release valve. trained for and ran 3 marathons, and did a 70.3 while in school.

if you're an uptight type A, thats prob not going to change. nothing wrong with that, but everyone's experience is going to be different. you'll always get out what you put in.