Staying motivated during D1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasticflossophy

Reaction score
D1 here, about 2 months in. Feeling that midterm vibe. Is it normal to be somewhat bored/disillusioned during D1 year?

All this didactic coursework just feels droning. Even though we have lab and work on waxing so much, I just am not feeling connected to dentistry. Not a big fan of gross anatomy, it's just like why do we have to know this as a dentist, and so much work for that class.

I feel like I just really want to see people and actually work on real dentistry. But clinic years are 2 years away and idk how to stay motivated and positive for the rest of D1 and upcoming D2 year. Big ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is very common, first year is very detached from dentistry, especially if you aren't even assisting in clinic. As real labs ramp up in D2, there will be more opportunity to practice skills you will actually use and that is a big motivator. I hope you find a way to get through it, lots of people feel the same way and it will get better with time.

Reactions: 1 users
D1 here, about 2 months in. Feeling that midterm vibe. Is it normal to be somewhat bored/disillusioned during D1 year?

All this didactic coursework just feels droning. Even though we have lab and work on waxing so much, I just am not feeling connected to dentistry. Not a big fan of gross anatomy, it's just like why do we have to know this as a dentist, and so much work for that class.

I feel like I just really want to see people and actually work on real dentistry. But clinic years are 2 years away and idk how to stay motivated and positive for the rest of D1 and upcoming D2 year. Big ugh.

I agree that D1 year can be redundant and boring, but I would suggest looking at the bigger picture. We aren't simply learning to drill and fill and prescribe medications to patients. We are training to be doctors and treat patients under our own license one day. In order to do this, we have to understand the fundamental concepts of our profession like the back of our hand so we can continue to build on it. Even if you feel that understanding the brachial plexus is meaningless, or you don't quite get why we have to understand the complement system, you should try to see it as the curriculum giving you a thorough and comprehensive understanding of basic sciences rathan than a redacted form of it. If you don't understand what you are being taught or why it is important in the scope of the dental profession, then you may struggle with some courses come D2 that are more clinically relevant but rely on your understanding of the foundational concepts. D1 makes sure you want to be there and makes you earn your keep. D2 is where you start to learn the fun stuff.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You need to strap in because you haven’t seen anything yet. Do fun stuff on the weekends. Make good use of your time. When you get to the end and you’re several hundred grand in debt knowing you have to produce dentistry to live, and you have no money to your name, well, there’s pressure. Try and find some enjoyment!

Reactions: 5 users
As a fellow D1, I can see what you mean. I do agree though that you should try to look at the bigger picture of what these courses are for. In the end it will help us be a better clinician. Going out on the weekends during the less busy semester is a good way to bond with the class and make friends!

Things will get better, have faith!

Reactions: 2 users
Another D1 here -

I have been very fortunate to go to a dental school that is heavily involved clinically starting our D1 year (got into the clinic during the 3rd week of school). Heck, we have been in dental school for 3-4 months and are already doing restorations (Class I, III, IV, & V only) in the clinic (on real patients). I have probably interacted with around 50 patients (mostly assisted for resto, exams, extractions, implants, cleanings, etc.). I will say Classes, Sim, and Clinic are all completely different fields while you are in dental school.

I think everyone has a hard time staying motivated with the classwork; however, you will eventually get through it and see how important most of the material you are learning is when you see your first few patients. Sim is always extremely exciting for me because that is where we are working with our hands and can visually see our progression. Honestly, Sim is the most enjoyable for me right now. Clinic is a beast on its own which is extremely enjoyable and challenging at the same time. I think once you spend more time in the clinic & sim you'll find it significantly different than the classes that you are taking (including waxing).

From previous dentists that I've talked to who are current professors at my school & other schools, it seems like a lot of people go through a period of (why did I choose dentistry) or (Did I choose the right path) or (Should I drop out of dental school); and all of them that made it through the struggle of Dschool have been extremely grateful that they choose dentistry & became a dentist. We all have to pay our dues and sitting in class for 8 hours learning about anatomy, and random stuff like what are the muscles that make up the hip flexors. I promise you though, it will get a lot more exciting for you in the future.

Another D1 here -

I have been very fortunate to go to a dental school that is heavily involved clinically starting our D1 year (got into the clinic during the 3rd week of school). Heck, we have been in dental school for 3-4 months and are already doing restorations (Class I, III, IV, & V only) in the clinic (on real patients). I have probably interacted with around 50 patients (mostly assisted for resto, exams, extractions, implants, cleanings, etc.). I will say Classes, Sim, and Clinic are all completely different fields while you are in dental school.

I think everyone has a hard time staying motivated with the classwork; however, you will eventually get through it and see how important most of the material you are learning is when you see your first few patients. Sim is always extremely exciting for me because that is where we are working with our hands and can visually see our progression. Honestly, Sim is the most enjoyable for me right now. Clinic is a beast on its own which is extremely enjoyable and challenging at the same time. I think once you spend more time in the clinic & sim you'll find it significantly different than the classes that you are taking (including waxing).

From previous dentists that I've talked to who are current professors at my school & other schools, it seems like a lot of people go through a period of (why did I choose dentistry) or (Did I choose the right path) or (Should I drop out of dental school); and all of them that made it through the struggle of Dschool have been extremely grateful that they choose dentistry & became a dentist. We all have to pay our dues and sitting in class for 8 hours learning about anatomy, and random stuff like what are the muscles that make up the hip flexors. I promise you though, it will get a lot more exciting for you in the future.
You will question dentistry many many MANY times 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Another D1 here -

I'm sorry, what school is having fresh D1s 3 months into dental school do restorations on real patients???? At that point is there not a concern for the patients' safety? I'm 2 months into D1 and there's absolutely no way we know enough about caries, drilling, and overall health to do a filling on a real patient anytime soon. Does your school just skip all the basic sciences and go straight to drilling?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry, what school is having fresh D1s 3 months into dental school do restorations on real patients???? At that point is there not a concern for the patients' safety? I'm 2 months into D1 and there's absolutely no way we know enough about caries, drilling, and overall health to do a filling on a real patient anytime soon. Does your school just skip all the basic sciences and go straight to drilling?
I think they’re referring to assisting and getting to help with that (though I could certainly be wrong). I know Roseman is now an accelerated 3 year program as well so they do move quickly.

I completely understand where you are coming from. As @Ryxndek pointed out it is a 3-year program. Just a little background: Roseman likes to have students in the clinic working with patients even before they changed to a 3-year program. Current D2s were doing simple restorations in December or January of their D1 year (At least the ones that I've talked to).

Short Response (can skip if you are reading the long response):
Yes, we are able to do certain restorations and feel confident about them while working with patients as D1s. We have upperclassmen & dentists who are able to help guide us while we are working with patients & performing procedures if necessary (most people have D4s guide them for the first procedure). Not a single D1 that I know has made a mistake or endangered a patient while performing a restoration. We have done some of the basic sciences (dental anatomy, anatomy, etc.) but started in sim clinic during week 2 or 3 of school.

Long Response:
For current D1s at Roseman:
When we are in the clinic yes, we are the ones doing the restorations. But there are a ton of prerequisites that must be met before we can do a certain type of procedure. Because Roseman isn't your typical 4-year program where you take the didactics the first 2 years and clinic the next 2 years I'll give some background: Roseman is a block curriculum where you take one course at a time. So for your simple anatomy course, we took that over a 3-4 week time period & took an assessment where we needed to score 90% to pass and go to the next block. It's the same principle for when we are in the sim lab or taking a restoration course. When we took our first restoration course & SIM we specifically focused on Class I & V restorations (Class V are the easiest). Every day we are in sim we completed a class V or I restoration (some days multiple). A faculty member (dentist) graded our preps & restorations and if the faculty does not approve of it, we need to do the procedure(s) again another day. Then, at the end of the block, we took a SIM assessment & classroom assessment where we needed to pass both with a +90% score. Once we pass that block, we are able to do those procedures in clinic. So if you pass the Restoration 1 course you can do Class I & V in the clinic.

Another thing to note about Roseman. Everything is done on teams with upperclassmen. So when you are seeing patients you are treating them on teams where you will be mainly working with D3s or D4s that are extremely helpful (One D1 paired w/one D4). As @Ryxndek was saying, Normally we assist the D4s with seating patients, suction, X-rays, recording perio-probing, etc. However, every now and then there will be patients that come in that need procedures that D1s have been trained for and approved to treat patients. When these patients come in, the D3s, D4s, and attendings (dentists) are enthusiastic to ask us if we would like to perform the procedure. And we will perform it with our upperclassmen's support (the best secondary provider in the world lol).

Upper years (D2, D3, D4s) are beyond helpful at Roseman. For our first procedures, they make sure that the patient and us D1s are comfortable with performing the procedure and watch over us for every step (They ask us before the patient is at the chair). Plus we run through the procedure with them & dentist before the patient gets to the chair as well. Additionally, we get the typical clinical checks with the dentist; start check, prep check, restoration check, etc. I think everyone at Roseman feels prepared for the procedures that they perform on patients as D1s. Simply because we have done them a significant amount of times in the sim clinic and know we have support from our upperclassmen & faculty. We wouldn't perform a procedure in the clinic unless we weren't confident in what we were doing. I know many people were worried about being "guinea pigs" for Roseman's first 3-year class, but it honestly feels like they have done the transition to a 3-year smoothly. So far (almost 4 months in) there haven't been any hiccups yet, which I am pleasantly surprised about.

I completely understand where you are coming from. As @Ryxndek pointed out it is a 3-year program. Just a little background: Roseman likes to have students in the clinic working with patients even before they changed to a 3-year program. Current D2s were doing simple restorations in December or January of their D1 year (At least the ones that I've talked to).

Short Response (can skip if you are reading the long response):
Yes, we are able to do certain restorations and feel confident about them while working with patients as D1s. We have upperclassmen & dentists who are able to help guide us while we are working with patients & performing procedures if necessary (most people have D4s guide them for the first procedure). Not a single D1 that I know has made a mistake or endangered a patient while performing a restoration. We have done some of the basic sciences (dental anatomy, anatomy, etc.) but started in sim clinic during week 2 or 3 of school.

Long Response:
For current D1s at Roseman:
When we are in the clinic yes, we are the ones doing the restorations. But there are a ton of prerequisites that must be met before we can do a certain type of procedure. Because Roseman isn't your typical 4-year program where you take the didactics the first 2 years and clinic the next 2 years I'll give some background: Roseman is a block curriculum where you take one course at a time. So for your simple anatomy course, we took that over a 3-4 week time period & took an assessment where we needed to score 90% to pass and go to the next block. It's the same principle for when we are in the sim lab or taking a restoration course. When we took our first restoration course & SIM we specifically focused on Class I & V restorations (Class V are the easiest). Every day we are in sim we completed a class V or I restoration (some days multiple). A faculty member (dentist) graded our preps & restorations and if the faculty does not approve of it, we need to do the procedure(s) again another day. Then, at the end of the block, we took a SIM assessment & classroom assessment where we needed to pass both with a +90% score. Once we pass that block, we are able to do those procedures in clinic. So if you pass the Restoration 1 course you can do Class I & V in the clinic.

Another thing to note about Roseman. Everything is done on teams with upperclassmen. So when you are seeing patients you are treating them on teams where you will be mainly working with D3s or D4s that are extremely helpful (One D1 paired w/one D4). As @Ryxndek was saying, Normally we assist the D4s with seating patients, suction, X-rays, recording perio-probing, etc. However, every now and then there will be patients that come in that need procedures that D1s have been trained for and approved to treat patients. When these patients come in, the D3s, D4s, and attendings (dentists) are enthusiastic to ask us if we would like to perform the procedure. And we will perform it with our upperclassmen's support (the best secondary provider in the world lol).

Upper years (D2, D3, D4s) are beyond helpful at Roseman. For our first procedures, they make sure that the patient and us D1s are comfortable with performing the procedure and watch over us for every step (They ask us before the patient is at the chair). Plus we run through the procedure with them & dentist before the patient gets to the chair as well. Additionally, we get the typical clinical checks with the dentist; start check, prep check, restoration check, etc. I think everyone at Roseman feels prepared for the procedures that they perform on patients as D1s. Simply because we have done them a significant amount of times in the sim clinic and know we have support from our upperclassmen & faculty. We wouldn't perform a procedure in the clinic unless we weren't confident in what we were doing. I know many people were worried about being "guinea pigs" for Roseman's first 3-year class, but it honestly feels like they have done the transition to a 3-year smoothly. So far (almost 4 months in) there haven't been any hiccups yet, which I am pleasantly surprised about.
Very cool!

At UMN we’ve I’ve been in clinic assisting D3s/4s twice now since starting in august. Though we don’t start sim clinic until next semester. We see our first patients around the fall of our D2 year. Very interesting to read the differences in an accelerated curriculum

Very cool. Do the upper classmen deliver the anesthesia though? I can't imagine you've already gotten through all of your anatomy and anesthesia courses?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very cool!

At UMN we’ve I’ve been in clinic assisting D3s/4s twice now since starting in august. Though we don’t start sim clinic until next semester. We see our first patients around the fall of our D2 year. Very interesting to read the differences in an accelerated curriculum
Yeah, I feel so blessed to be at Roseman! That's really cool that you guys get into the clinic early too! Are you guys mainly assisting/suctioning, or are you able to do anything else like taking x-rays?

It's so interesting how every school is different in how they teach. We don't touch amalgam at Roseman whereas in other programs you work with it a ton.

Last edited:
Very cool. Do the upper classmen deliver the anesthesia though? I can't imagine you've already gotten through all of your anatomy and anesthesia courses?
You are 10000% percent right! D1s do not give anesthesia! Sorry, I should have said that as well; the upperclassmen are doing the anesthesia; we haven't been trained on that yet (I think it will be in November or December but I could be wrong). We are only able to do a very limited # of procedures 1-2 surface restorations, the upperclassmen numb the patients and give us guidance if we want it while we perform the restoration.

Yeah, I feel so blessed to be at Roseman! That's really cool that you guys get into the clinic early too! Are you guys mainly assisting/suctioning, or are you able to do anything else like taking x-rays?

It's so interesting how every school is different in how they teach. We don't touch amalgam at Roseman whereas in other programs you work with it a ton.
Mainly just assisting/suctioning. We haven’t started our radiology course yet. We start in a couple of weeks, so hopefully by the next time I go I could help with X-rays if asked.

Definitely interesting for sure! We do touch amalgam but I don’t think they have as big of an emphasis on it as they used to. They’re trying to modernize our curriculum more as some of the things we learn our pretty outdated.

• Love