Stressed about DAT's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennisgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone who can answer this:

I'm a junior in college in a combined dental program with University of Buffalo Dental School. Their major requirement for me to stay in the program that I unfortunately have not met is an 18 on the PAT. I took the entire test in the middle of August just to see how I would do and I got a 25 Natural Science Average and a 17 on the PAT. I need to take the test over to meet UB's score requirement, but I'm kinda debating whether or not I want to stay in this program. Do I have a chance at other schools, and if i back out of the program, will they blacklist me or anything? Does anyone have any tips on how to do better on the PAT?? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

OY...

Your scores look pretty darn impressive even if you are short just one point on the PATs. Have you spoken to Dr. Joynt or anyone else at the Office of Student Affairs here at UB? I'm sure something can be worked out over just that one point difference on the PAT.

Say... Since you are in Buffalo, I presume you are in the combined program at Canisius? There is another poster on this board (my classmate actually) who also went through the combined program at Canisius-- Griffin04. Drop her a line and she'll be able to offer a lot of helpful advice I think.

Hope you will be joining us here at Squire Hall next August!

thanks for the reply. i've been speaking with dr. joynt on quite a regular basis and i guess i'm retaking the dat's before thanksgiving. i still haven't figured out if i want to bother with the whole thing or just focus on the pat's. i guess it comes down to whether or not if i'm really into going to ub or moving elsewhere. not that i'm not psyched about ub, but i still kinda want to live elsewhere since i've been in buffalo since frosh year. griffin04 and i are really good friends so i've been talking to her on a regular basis. ttyl :)

Yeah I can sympathize. I attended high school and college in Manhattan, taking the subway 3 hours every day for 7 years. Got sick of it all so I came up to Buffalo for dental school rather than NYU. So yep I understand the need to change scenery once in a while.

Anyway, luck on your apps!